Old 17-08-2007, 05:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JL JL is offline

Default Crabgrass/Dimension question

I had a section of lawn that had crabgrass in years past.
This spring I used a product that contains Dimension (thanks ahlg).
It worked great. I have some stray crabgrass plants
that I deal with spot treatment.

Will I ruin my Dimension for next year if I de-thatch
this fall/next spring? That is, how long do I have to
wait for the crabgrass seeds to finally die before I'm
able to dethatch?

Old 17-08-2007, 11:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"JL" wrote:
I had a section of lawn that had crabgrass in years past.
This spring I used a product that contains Dimension (thanks ahlg).
It worked great. I have some stray crabgrass plants
that I deal with spot treatment.

Will I ruin my Dimension for next year if I de-thatch
this fall/next spring? That is, how long do I have to
wait for the crabgrass seeds to finally die before I'm
able to dethatch?

De-thatch this fall, then apply dimension again next spring. What's the
question?
Old 19-08-2007, 04:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

A google search didn't show the effective life of Dimension, but most
pre-emergents only work for 2-6 months. My guess is that whether you
de-thatch this fall or not you'll need to re-apply dimension next spring. If
you de-thatch in the Spring, you'll need to apply Dimension after
de-thatching, which could be too late to prevent crabgrass germination.

KB

Old 20-08-2007, 01:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Aug 19, 10:04 am, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:
A google search didn't show the effective life of Dimension, but most
pre-emergents only work for 2-6 months. My guess is that whether you
de-thatch this fall or not you'll need to re-apply dimension next spring. If
you de-thatch in the Spring, you'll need to apply Dimension after
de-thatching, which could be too late to prevent crabgrass germination.

Say what? Of course you can't put down pre-emergent in Fall and have
it be effective in Spring for crabgrass. And de-thatching takes a
day, not two months, so there is plenty of time to de-thatch in
Spring, then put down pre-emergent.

KB

"JL" wrote in message

I had a section of lawn that had crabgrass in years past.
This spring I used a product that contains Dimension (thanks ahlg).
It worked great. I have some stray crabgrass plants
that I deal with spot treatment.

Will I ruin my Dimension for next year if I de-thatch
this fall/next spring? That is, how long do I have to
wait for the crabgrass seeds to finally die before I'm
able to dethatch?- Hide quoted text -

Old 21-08-2007, 06:40 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Quote: JL wrote on Thu, 16 August 2007 23:28
I had a section of lawn that had crabgrass in years past.
This spring I used a product that contains Dimension (thanks ahlg).
It worked great. I have some stray crabgrass plants
that I deal with spot treatment.

Will I ruin my Dimension for next year if I de-thatch
this fall/next spring? That is, how long do I have to
wait for the crabgrass seeds to finally die before I'm
able to dethatch?

I'm just curious. Why would de-thatching interfere with the pre-emergent?

--
Richard Thoms
President - Top Service Pros, Inc.

Old 21-08-2007, 11:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Richard Thoms said:

Quote: JL wrote on Thu, 16 August 2007 23:28
I had a section of lawn that had crabgrass in years past.
This spring I used a product that contains Dimension (thanks ahlg).
It worked great. I have some stray crabgrass plants
that I deal with spot treatment.

Will I ruin my Dimension for next year if I de-thatch
this fall/next spring? That is, how long do I have to
wait for the crabgrass seeds to finally die before I'm
able to dethatch?

I'm just curious. Why would de-thatching interfere with the pre-emergent?

The pre-emergent creates an invisible "barrier" that the weeds can't poke
through. Any distruption of that barrier renders it useless.

--

Eggs

Two can live as cheaply as one, for half as long.
Old 21-08-2007, 05:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

On Aug 21, 6:01 am, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Richard Thoms said:

Quote: JL wrote on Thu, 16 August 2007 23:28
I had a section of lawn that had crabgrass in years past.
This spring I used a product that contains Dimension (thanks ahlg).
It worked great. I have some stray crabgrass plants
that I deal with spot treatment.

Will I ruin my Dimension for next year if I de-thatch
this fall/next spring? That is, how long do I have to
wait for the crabgrass seeds to finally die before I'm
able to dethatch?

I'm just curious. Why would de-thatching interfere with the pre-emergent?

The pre-emergent creates an invisible "barrier" that the weeds can't poke
through. Any distruption of that barrier renders it useless.

--

Eggs

Two can live as cheaply as one, for half as long.

Hmm. That's what about.com says as well.
http://landscaping.about.com/od/weed...crab_grass.htm
I'm a little surprised; I don't know about the commercial stuff, but I
use corn gluten as a preemergent, which just inhibits root
development, so I never thought about whether "puncturing" it would be
a problem.

Old 21-08-2007, 08:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Richard Thoms said:

[...]

a problem.- Hide quoted text -

It's the same concept. Neither one forms a physical barrier that
crabgrass can't grow through. What they do is establish a top layer
of soil that crabgrass can't germinate in. If you disturb that layer
by dethatching, aerating, etc, you lose the protection.

Old 21-08-2007, 11:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

[....]
Hopefully,
there's not enough time left in the growing season for those plants to
reach maturity. =)

and thus prohibiting those plants from being able to
contribute their seed to an almost endless cycle of
undesirables reproducing themselves....
Old 22-08-2007, 12:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Richard Thoms said:

[...]

The plants, themselves, also aid to the destruction of the barrier. Each
one pokes a miniscule hole in the barrier, then dies. After millions of
holes are poked, weeds start getting through. It's inevitable. Hopefully,
there's not enough time left in the growing season for those plants to
reach maturity. =)

--

Eggs

After heat killed bad germs, where do they go? Obviously not in heaven,
since they've been bad. Surely then can't go to hell, for the heat would
kill them again(?)...