GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Synthetic Oil vs. Pertolium Based Oil (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/1640-re-synthetic-oil-vs-pertolium-based-oil.html)

Ken Shelton 06-12-2002 07:30 AM

Synthetic Oil vs. Pertolium Based Oil

Normally a 30 weight high-detergent oil is the best oil to use in any air
cooled engine.

If you use it in the winter time for snow-throwing or plowing 10w30 will be
a good choice for the winter.

Save your money on the synthetics.

Ken Shelton

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=8825968

wrote in message
I have purchased a John Deere LX 277 with a 18 h.p. Kawasaki motor. I am
contemplating using Castrol Synthetic oil in the new lawn tractor when I
change the break in oil.

MY QUESTION: Are there are any benefits to using synthetic motor oil in
a small air cooled engine........or would I be spending more money for
an oil that yields no added benefits over conventional petroleum based
John Deere brand oil.

no-one 07-12-2002 02:22 AM

Synthetic Oil vs. Pertolium Based Oil

good luck with using 10w30 in a snowblower when the temp drops to -32(which
it does here) unless you have the unit in a heated shed it will never start.

Ryan 02-02-2003 02:22 AM

Synthetic Oil vs. Pertolium Based Oil

I have seen this question come up in the car newsgroups. They said to use
regular oil until the engine breaks in, and then go with synthetic oil. If
you use Synthetic oil from the start, it is suppose to not break in right,
like metal shaving problem? I don't know if this is true, but just passing
along the info. Ryan

Dr. Doctor 03-02-2003 01:24 AM

Synthetic Oil vs. Pertolium Based Oil

Ill keep this simple
actually during the break in period in a engine the asparites of the
internal parts of a new engine will wear down until the engine is "BROKEN
IN" and the rings seat with cylinder walls and stuff like that.( the
asparites are always wearing down throughout the life of a engine) when
using synthetic oils the additives in the oil may prevent this from
happening and may effect how the engine breaks in as one would say. Not sure
what you mean by shavings? or where you got that from .

no-one 05-05-2003 10:58 PM