Old 16-10-2007, 11:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default lawn winterize

Red wrote:
On Oct 14, 10:59 am, Steveo wrote:
Red wrote:
he got a restricted use pesticide
license just to buy insecticide to kill all the earthworms in the
yard because he could feel the little mounds when he walked on the
grass. Evidently used it all on one application.

DDT?

Wife didn't say which one. I don't think you can buy DDT in the US can
you? Don't see it on the restricted list.

No it has been banned.

It was a tongue in cheek question, never mind. I try to avoid most of the
bizarre inquiries in here as much as I can. Less flames.
Old 17-10-2007, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"Neon John" wrote in message

What do you do when there is a 3 foot layer of leaves?

Blow 'em up into a big pile. Jump and play in the pile, recalling one's
youth. Then
set 'em afire and enjoy the warmth and the lovely odor. Burning leaves are
one of my
favorite smells, a warm reminder that fall is here at last.

Then wait for the police or state EPA to show up.

Burning leaves is illegal in lots of places these days.

Bob

Old 17-10-2007, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Neon John" wrote in message

What do you do when there is a 3 foot layer of leaves?

Blow 'em up into a big pile. Jump and play in the pile, recalling one's
youth. Then
set 'em afire and enjoy the warmth and the lovely odor. Burning leaves
are one of my
favorite smells, a warm reminder that fall is here at last.

Then wait for the police or state EPA to show up.

Burning leaves is illegal in lots of places these days.

Bob

Even when there's a drought in many places? :-)

Old 20-10-2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"Jim" wrote in message
the people who have figured out composting
are way ahead in the sporting event known as gardening and their
carry over knowledge resulting from their understanding of how
there is life in that compost pile enables them to have the better
healthier lawns through allowing all living things to work in
harmony with one another.

I have never figured out how one would evenly distribute homegrown compost over
a lawn. Any suggestions?

Bob

Old 20-10-2007, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Jim" wrote in message
the people who have figured out composting
are way ahead in the sporting event known as gardening and their
carry over knowledge resulting from their understanding of how
there is life in that compost pile enables them to have the better
healthier lawns through allowing all living things to work in
harmony with one another.

I have never figured out how one would evenly distribute homegrown compost
over a lawn. Any suggestions?

Bob

Not a serious suggestion at all: Grind to aspirin-size bits in your food
processor. A year later, when that's done, spread it on the lawn.

Old 20-10-2007, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
snip
Not a serious suggestion at all: Grind to aspirin-size bits in your food
processor. A year later, when that's done, spread it on the lawn.

Good lawn winterize? (pain free lawn)
Old 21-10-2007, 04:59 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

Bob F wrote:

Jim wrote:
the people who have figured out composting
are way ahead in the sporting event known as gardening and their
carry over knowledge resulting from their understanding of how
there is life in that compost pile enables them to have the better
healthier lawns through allowing all living things to work in
harmony with one another.

I have never figured out how one would evenly distribute homegrown compost over
a lawn. Any suggestions?

Bob

Bob, it is the knowledge of what is going on in a home
grown compost pile and that knowledge of how life in the
compose pile allows lawn lovers to keep life in the soil
underneath their lawn so as to improve the natural health
of the lawn I was speaking of.

traditionally speaking most home compost piles get moved
onto the garden in the fall and then cut into the soil.
sometimes some of the compost ends up in flower beds or
flower pots.

the lawn naturally produces the compose best suited for
its needs. they are called grass clippings. mulching
mowers do a one or two fold better job of returning these
clippings to the lawn than do side discharge mowers. the
concept itself works best when the lawn is cut on a frequent
and regular schedule meaning we are reducing the amount of
grass being removed by the mowing process. infrequent mowing
will generate more clippings than the lawn can handle and
produce the result of thatch build up which in and of itself
procreates a host of other devastating problems for the lawn.
people who are not willing to mow twice a week instead of once
a week will usually receive no great benefit from a mulching
mower.

as for attempting to apply traditional homemade compost to
a lawn? my vision of that process appears to be a costly
one as a result of the drying, grinding and more grinding
in order to obtain a dry granular product with consistencies
favorable for broadcast spreaders.

best,
Jim
Old 21-10-2007, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Jim" wrote in message
the people who have figured out composting
are way ahead in the sporting event known as gardening and their
carry over knowledge resulting from their understanding of how
there is life in that compost pile enables them to have the better
healthier lawns through allowing all living things to work in
harmony with one another.

I have never figured out how one would evenly distribute homegrown compost

over
a lawn. Any suggestions?

Bob

Well Bob, you take a shovel and sling it all over an area. Then, you take
a leaf rake and rake it in. Or, you could dump a pile in an area and use a
bow rake to rake it out, then turn it over, tines up, to work it in.

Old 22-10-2007, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Jim" wrote in message
the people who have figured out composting
are way ahead in the sporting event known as gardening and their
carry over knowledge resulting from their understanding of how
there is life in that compost pile enables them to have the better
healthier lawns through allowing all living things to work in
harmony with one another.

I have never figured out how one would evenly distribute homegrown compost

over
a lawn. Any suggestions?

Bob

Well Bob, you take a shovel and sling it all over an area. Then, you take
a leaf rake and rake it in. Or, you could dump a pile in an area and use a
bow rake to rake it out, then turn it over, tines up, to work it in.

That could be a LOT of work for a large yard. I might just wait for a better
idea.

Bob

Old 22-10-2007, 04:30 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

I have never figured out how one would evenly distribute homegrown compost
over a lawn. Any suggestions?

You scoop up a shovelfull and fling it.
With a bit of practice you can get pretty controlled flings- my husband is
very good at it. He hand topdressed 20,000 sq ft of lawn this way just last
month.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 22-10-2007, 04:59 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"Bob F" wrote in message

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Wuss... Okay, Google John Deere Loader Manure Spreader

Old 22-10-2007, 04:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bob F wrote:
"cat daddy" wrote in message
"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..
"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Why don't you get a compost spreader? You could buy one or rent one.
Old 22-10-2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

On Oct 21, 8:30 pm, "Buderschnookie" wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

. ..

I have never figured out how one would evenly distribute homegrown compost
over a lawn. Any suggestions?

You scoop up a shovelfull and fling it.
With a bit of practice you can get pretty controlled flings- my husband is
very good at it. He hand topdressed 20,000 sq ft of lawn this way just last
month.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky
USDA Zone 6bhttp://www.cearbhaill.com

Yep. It doesn't take a lot of practice to spread it pretty evenly and
we are not talking "exactly even" here anyhow, just a generaly even
cover with no piles or obvious bare spots gets it.

A good scoopshovel or big flat shovel is the best tool.

Harry K

Old 31-10-2007, 05:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message news:PC3Ti.149537$Xa3.146744@attbi_s22...
Bob F wrote:

I have never figured out how one would evenly distribute homegrown compost
over
a lawn. Any suggestions?

Bob
Well Bob, you take a shovel and sling it all over an area. Then, you take
a leaf rake and rake it in. Or, you could dump a pile in an area and use a
bow rake to rake it out, then turn it over, tines up, to work it in.

That could be a LOT of work for a large yard. I might just wait for a better
idea.

Bob

Why don't you get a compost spreader? You could buy one or rent one.

I never even knew they existed.

Gee - only $1000 for a push one.
http://www.bullspreader.com/index_017.htm

I guess I need to look a little further.

Bob

Lawn Winterize symplastless Gardening 0 03-10-2008 12:26 AM
lawn winterize symplastless Gardening 66 22-10-2007 11:11 PM
Lawn turned brown, still needs winterize? Doug Kanter Gardening 5 25-11-2006 06:35 PM
Lawn turned brown, still needs winterize? John Smith Lawns 9 23-11-2006 05:43 PM
Lawn turned brown, still needs winterize? John Smith Gardening 2 22-11-2006 12:45 AM