GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grass....how high (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/165720-grass-how-high.html)

JM 09-10-2007 11:30 AM

Grass....how high

should the last end of the season cut be in the North country be.I cut 3 to
4 inches high during the summer.Cut long or short?

Steveo 09-10-2007 12:03 PM

Grass....how high

Abe wrote:
should the last end of the season cut be in the North country be.I cut 3
to 4 inches high during the summer.Cut long or short?

Cut long. Protects the soil.

Wrong.

Cut it short on your -last cutting- to help prevent snow mold/matting.

Dave 09-10-2007 02:04 PM

Grass....how high

"Steveo" wrote in message
Abe wrote:
should the last end of the season cut be in the North country be.I cut 3
to 4 inches high during the summer.Cut long or short?

Cut long. Protects the soil.

Wrong.

Cut it short on your -last cutting- to help prevent snow mold/matting.

If it snows... (global warming)
Dave

[email protected] 09-10-2007 05:08 PM

Grass....how high

JM wrote:
should the last end of the season cut be in the North country be.I cut 3 to
4 inches high during the summer.Cut long or short?

In the south, I imagine a winter mow would be long. In the north, if you
get a lot of snow, you want to cut short. Cool season grasses like to
winter at 2 inches. Helps prevent the fungi.

[email protected] 09-10-2007 06:46 PM

Grass....how high

On Oct 9, 12:08 pm, wrote:
JM wrote:
should the last end of the season cut be in the North country be.I cut 3 to
4 inches high during the summer.Cut long or short?

In the south, I imagine a winter mow would be long. In the north, if you
get a lot of snow, you want to cut short. Cool season grasses like to
winter at 2 inches. Helps prevent the fungi.

Maybe your grass is different than mine, but I can't tell mine when to
stop growing. Here at the NJ shore, I typically cut into mid Dec, at
which point the grass is still slowly growing. The point being that
for most people, when they last cut it, it's still going to grow a bit
after that. So, cutting it on the short side is preferred.

Steveo 10-10-2007 02:12 AM

Grass....how high

wrote:
snip
The point being that
for most people, when they last cut it, it's still going to grow a bit
after that. So, cutting it on the short side is preferred.

Nice description, trade.

Jim 10-10-2007 03:10 AM

Grass....how high

do_see wrote:

JM wrote:
should the last end of the season cut be in the North country be.I cut 3 to
4 inches high during the summer.Cut long or short?

In the south, I imagine a winter mow would be long. In the north, if you
get a lot of snow, you want to cut short. Cool season grasses like to
winter at 2 inches. Helps prevent the fungi.

location location location is very important when making
these maintenance decisions.

location

and then there is turf type....

Dave 11-10-2007 02:38 AM

Grass....how high

wrote in message news:CKNOi.125404$Xa3.89512@attbi_s22...
Dave wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
Abe wrote:
should the last end of the season cut be in the North country be.I cut
3
to 4 inches high during the summer.Cut long or short?

Cut long. Protects the soil.

Wrong.

Cut it short on your -last cutting- to help prevent snow mold/matting.

If it snows... (global warming)
Dave

It'll snow.

Don't snow too much in Northern FL or regions of northern Australia. We'll
see...
Dave

Steveo 11-10-2007 03:58 AM

Grass....how high

Dave wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
Abe wrote:
should the last end of the season cut be in the North country be.I
cut 3
to 4 inches high during the summer.Cut long or short?

Cut long. Protects the soil.

Wrong.

Cut it short on your -last cutting- to help prevent snow
mold/matting.

If it snows... (global warming)
Dave

It'll snow.

Don't snow too much in Northern FL or regions of northern Australia.
We'll see...
Dave

Don't let the kangaroo kick you in the crotch.