Old 11-01-2003, 07:37 PM
Guy Goldich

Default Grass seed germination

I live in the Philly area. In late fall I decided to patch some lawn bare
spots using a ryegrass mixture. I seeded bare spots and covered with about
1/4 inch topsoil as I usually do (usually get good results).

Howver, I think I did this too close to the cold weather. It turned really
cold a week after I seeded, so no germination. My question is: Will the
seeds survive through the winter and germinate this spring, or should I
reseed all over again?

Old 11-01-2003, 10:37 PM

"Guy Goldich" wrote:
I live in the Philly area. In late fall I decided to patch some lawn bare
spots using a ryegrass mixture. I seeded bare spots and covered with
about 1/4 inch topsoil as I usually do (usually get good results).

Howver, I think I did this too close to the cold weather. It turned
really cold a week after I seeded, so no germination. My question is:
Will the seeds survive through the winter and germinate this spring, or
should I reseed all over again?

It will survive. Just be careful to not apply any crabgrass preventer to
those areas in the spring,until they have germinated and been mowed at
least 4 times.

The pre-emergence will kill new seedlings,and also prevent their
germination.

50GB/Month