GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   live oak seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/166162-live-oak-seeds.html)

jthread 24-10-2007 10:27 PM

live oak seeds

I was looking at the live oak acorns (seed) that are falling in abundance
now. They all have little holes about 1/16". Is that normal or am I infested
with something?

jthread 25-10-2007 01:02 AM

live oak seeds

"Lar" wrote in message
jthread wrote:
I was looking at the live oak acorns (seed) that are falling in abundance
now. They all have little holes about 1/16". Is that normal or am I
infested with something?

They are infested with a beetle larvae, cousins to the "weevils" you might
find as a pantry pest now and then.

Lar

Should I do anything? or let nature take it's course?

jthread 25-10-2007 02:45 AM

live oak seeds

"Lar" wrote in message
jthread wrote:
"Lar" wrote in message

jthread wrote:

I was looking at the live oak acorns (seed) that are falling in
abundance now. They all have little holes about 1/16". Is that normal or
am I infested with something?

They are infested with a beetle larvae, cousins to the "weevils" you
might find as a pantry pest now and then.

Lar

Should I do anything? or let nature take it's course?

Just let'em go unless you are commercially growing the acorns... had a
customer who called me last year with "giant maggots" crawling around the
house. I get there and see what she has and ask if her grand kids have
been out collecting acorns while visiting. Nope, they hadn't been there in
a good while. About that time her poodle comes running in with a mouthful
of acorns to play with and she later discovered the dog had several caches
of the nuts about the house.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/foresthealth...pests/p35.html
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/yth...llyr/yf804.htm

Lar