GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   how to winter my 'Russian Sage' (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/166581-how-winter-my-russian-sage.html)

FireBrick 08-11-2007 05:35 PM

how to winter my 'Russian Sage'

The plants I cut back (as recommended) last fall didn't do well.
Only half survived the Chicago Winter.

I planted new this spring from very good nursery.
They grew, but not a lot. They didn't fill in as much as I expected.
Should I cover them with rose cones?
Should I cut them back? (last years cut back was disappointing).

I see them in highway dividers here locally and they seem to thrive, even in
winter road salt spray.

So what do I need to do to make my little group flourish next spring?

We rush for the stars as we crawl toward our graves.

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://76.16.160.118:8080
weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org

Eggs Zachtly 08-11-2007 10:38 PM

FireBrick said:

The plants I cut back (as recommended) last fall didn't do well.
Only half survived the Chicago Winter.

You pruned them at the wrong time.

I planted new this spring from very good nursery.
They grew, but not a lot. They didn't fill in as much as I expected.
Should I cover them with rose cones?

No.

Should I cut them back? (last years cut back was disappointing).

Prune Perovskia back to about six inches in the late winter or early
spring, /before/ new growth starts.

[rest snipped]

--

Eggs

-If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?