GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Composting roadkill (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/166732-composting-roadkill.html)

Srgnt Billko 12-11-2007 12:25 AM

Composting roadkill

Today's news reports several NY counties are putting roadkill deer in their
compost piles. Seems very strange to me.

jthread 12-11-2007 03:44 AM

Composting roadkill

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Today's news reports several NY counties are putting roadkill deer in
their compost piles. Seems very strange to me.

http://cwmi.css.cornell.edu/roadkillfs.pdf

More than I ever wanted to know. Says they use the compost on the highway
right-of-way where there is low pet and human contact. How comforting!
Sounds like a lot of "low possiblity", "most of", and "unlikely" situations.
Maybe in the long run it is for the better as the landfill is the
alternative. I know I don't want it in my yard.
--
Jim

If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

Dioclese 12-11-2007 05:48 AM

Composting roadkill

Apparently, that part of the country is lacking in native insects that eat
roadkill to any great extent. Roadkill generally does not exist on the
traveled part of the road.

--
Dave
Profound is we're here due to a chance arrangement

George.com 12-11-2007 08:31 AM

Composting roadkill

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Today's news reports several NY counties are putting roadkill deer in

their
compost piles. Seems very strange to me.

dead stuff my cats bring me gets dug under the trees as slow release
fertiliser. A useful source of nutrition.

rob

Chas Hurst[_2_] 12-11-2007 07:50 PM

Composting roadkill

"Ryan P." wrote in message
jthread wrote:
"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Today's news reports several NY counties are putting roadkill deer in
their compost piles. Seems very strange to me.

http://cwmi.css.cornell.edu/roadkillfs.pdf

More than I ever wanted to know. Says they use the compost on the highway
right-of-way where there is low pet and human contact. How comforting!
Sounds like a lot of "low possiblity", "most of", and "unlikely"
situations. Maybe in the long run it is for the better as the landfill is
the alternative. I know I don't want it in my yard.

I'm confused about the "may contaminate water" concern. I can see how 50
dead bodies on top of each other might be a problem, but where do these
people think wild animals go when they die?

Scavengers take care of dead animals in the wild. What did you think?

Frank 13-11-2007 03:17 PM

Composting roadkill

Chas Hurst wrote:
"Ryan P." wrote in message
jthread wrote:
"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Today's news reports several NY counties are putting roadkill deer in
their compost piles. Seems very strange to me.

http://cwmi.css.cornell.edu/roadkillfs.pdf

More than I ever wanted to know. Says they use the compost on the highway
right-of-way where there is low pet and human contact. How comforting!
Sounds like a lot of "low possiblity", "most of", and "unlikely"
situations. Maybe in the long run it is for the better as the landfill is
the alternative. I know I don't want it in my yard.

I'm confused about the "may contaminate water" concern. I can see how 50
dead bodies on top of each other might be a problem, but where do these
people think wild animals go when they die?

Scavengers take care of dead animals in the wild. What did you think?

Critters gotta eat too. Between blow flys, foxes, crows, vultures, etc.
dead animals in the wild do not last long. Bones left in compost would
be good source of phosphorous. I've seen deer carcasses in wild vanish
in a week with only bones behind. Left long enough, mice may get bones.

Chas Hurst[_2_] 13-11-2007 03:52 PM

Composting roadkill

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
Chas Hurst wrote:
"Ryan P." wrote in message
jthread wrote:
[...]

Composting animals or parts of, is a bad idea for a home owner, IMO. It
attracts vermin to the property.

Dave Hill 13-11-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chas Hurst[_2_] (Post 759435)
"Ryan P." wrote in message
jthread wrote:
"Srgnt Billko"
wrote in message
Today's news reports several NY counties are putting roadkill deer in
their compost piles. Seems very strange to me.

http://cwmi.css.cornell.edu/roadkillfs.pdf

More than I ever wanted to know. Says they use the compost on the highway
right-of-way where there is low pet and human contact. How comforting!
Sounds like a lot of "low possiblity", "most of", and "unlikely"
situations. Maybe in the long run it is for the better as the landfill is
the alternative. I know I don't want it in my yard.

I'm confused about the "may contaminate water" concern. I can see how 50
dead bodies on top of each other might be a problem, but where do these
people think wild animals go when they die?

Scavengers take care of dead animals in the wild. What did you think?

These people have the right answer to Road Kill http://www.road-kill-cafe.com/roadkill.html

David Hill

Chas Hurst[_2_] 13-11-2007 09:33 PM

Composting roadkill

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

'Chas Hurst[_2_ Wrote:
;759435']"Ryan P." wrote in message
...-
jthread wrote:-
...-

-
http://tinyurl.com/2chczs

More than I ever wanted to know. Says they use the compost on the
highway
right-of-way where there is low pet and human contact. How comforting!

Sounds like a lot of "low possiblity", "most of", and "unlikely"
situations. Maybe in the long run it is for the better as the landfill
is
the alternative. I know I don't want it in my yard.-

I'm confused about the "may contaminate water" concern. I can see
how 50
dead bodies on top of each other might be a problem, but where do
these
people think wild animals go when they die?-

Scavengers take care of dead animals in the wild. What did you think?

These people have the right answer to Road Kill
http://tinyurl.com/yonu2a

David Hill

Here in Pa, it's legal to pick up road kill and take it home-wasn't always
like that.

Frank 14-11-2007 01:19 AM

Composting roadkill

Dave Hill wrote

These people have the right answer to Road Kill
http://tinyurl.com/yonu2a

David Hill

Reminds me of this site:
http://www.petsorfood.com/

Dioclese 15-11-2007 12:07 AM

Composting roadkill

Doesn't the answer lie somewhere in the total mass of roadkill vs. the
capacity of local vermin to eat such roadkill vs. the locality of such
roadkill to a human water source? See no such figures anywhere in that
weblink. Seems more wishful thinking in a negative sort of way. Nothing to
substantiate.

--
"Ryan P." wrote in message
Chas Hurst wrote:

http://cwmi.css.cornell.edu/roadkillfs.pdf

{SNIP}

I'm confused about the "may contaminate water" concern. I can see how
50 dead bodies on top of each other might be a problem, but where do
these people think wild animals go when they die?

Scavengers take care of dead animals in the wild. What did you think?

*I* know that. I was questioning the logic of the above referenced
article. The way it read, it seemed that "dragging carcasses further into
the woods from the roads" was a bad idea as it could contaminate water.

My point was that there are far more animals in cities and towns dieing
in the woods/parks somewhere than there are being composted or cremated.
Using the above logic, we should all have disease-ridden water. :

[email protected] 16-11-2007 07:48 PM

Composting roadkill

makes some good mulch/fertilizer. .. the turkey vultures around here
dont like the idea.. lucas