Old 02-02-2003, 03:27 AM
Ryan

Default Buying a Craftmans riding mower??

I am thinking about buying one of those Sears riding lawn mowers. We have
over an acre of grass/lawn. I am 6 foot tall and weight 250 pounds. I am new
to this, so I would appreciate it if you can tell me which type of one I
should buy. How many horse power, and type of transmission? If you bought
one, how much should I pay? Can I get it cheaper if I go to a Sales ,
catalog store. Thank you Ryan

Old 02-02-2003, 05:43 AM
Brigitte J.

"Ryan" wrote in message
I am thinking about buying one of those Sears riding lawn mowers. We have
over an acre of grass/lawn. I am 6 foot tall and weight 250 pounds. I am

new
to this, so I would appreciate it if you can tell me which type of one I
should buy. How many horse power, and type of transmission? If you bought
one, how much should I pay? Can I get it cheaper if I go to a Sales ,
catalog store. Thank you Ryan

We purchased a Craftsman lawnmower 2 years ago. It is junk. I would
recommend buying something else.

Brigitte

Old 03-02-2003, 02:16 AM
Dr. Doctor

well as Brigitte stated that her is junk not all owners of them will agree.
If you do go with a sears unit keep in mind they will have a LT series (lawn
tractor) and a GT series (Garden tractor) the LT is a lighter duty unit. the
GT will have a heavier gauge steel frames, transaxal and a engine with a
longer life rating (the rating is in hours of use) Keep in mind Sears does
not sell anything that is commercial grade and most people who complain
their are junk have higher expectations of the unit will do and can handle
then what they bought. (kind like buying the base model expecting it to be
as good as a commercial grade unit) or they have no clue on any type of
preventative maintenance (i.e. you ask if they changed the oil and they say
it has oil???) or they down right abuse the sh## out of it and will deny it
to their grave.

All brands of unit out there will have opening price point units that will
not last as long or handle as much work as a commercial grade unit, so no
matter who you buy from make sure you get one that will meet your needs of
your lot size and intended usage and not meet the need for the pocket book
(lowest price unit)
hope that helps

Old 04-02-2003, 01:55 AM
Ryan

I can go with another brand of riding lawn mower. I appreciate the
information. I live about 70 to 80 miles north of Sacramento. There is not a
lot of places up here to buy one. If there are any other major brands of
mowers, I would appreciate the help. These mowers are not cheap, and would
like to get a good one, no matter if I have to pay more. If there are any
other type of stores to get them? I enjoy not living in a major city, but
getting merchandise is hard sometimes. Thanks for the information. Ryan

t...

Old 06-02-2003, 06:47 AM
Ron B

On 2/1/03 23:43, in article ,
"Brigitte J." wrote:2/1/03 23:43

"Ryan" wrote in message
I am thinking about buying one of those Sears riding lawn mowers. We have
over an acre of grass/lawn. I am 6 foot tall and weight 250 pounds. I am

new
to this, so I would appreciate it if you can tell me which type of one I
should buy. How many horse power, and type of transmission? If you bought
one, how much should I pay? Can I get it cheaper if I go to a Sales ,
catalog store. Thank you Ryan

We purchased a Craftsman lawnmower 2 years ago. It is junk. I would
recommend buying something else.

Brigitte

IMHO, You should purchase a Craftsman mower IF you are willing to purchase
another mower in a couple or years or so.

For an education, take a look at your local automotive center and see for
yourself how many units are 'in for repair' during the season.

You usually get what you pay for no matter what...

Spend $2K or so, and you get a piece of junk in most cases...

Spend $5K and you will usually have a machine that can last a few seasons
of use.

I have a Cub Cadet (Model 3235) that is built like a tank and I expect to
have MANY years of service from it without problems with proper maintenance.

I will NEVER again purchase a less capable machine in any case...

Ron

Old 08-02-2003, 02:46 AM
Chas Hurst

"Ron B" wrote in message
On 2/1/03 23:43, in article ,
"Brigitte J." wrote:2/1/03 23:43

"Ryan" wrote in message
[...]

If I had $5k to spend on lawn mowing, I would hire someone. I bought a
Craftsman lawn tractor 2 years ago. Cost $1400, paid a little more for the
17hp Kohler engine. I've had zero problems, but it only cuts my lawn and
sucks up the leaves. About 2-3 hrs every 5-7 days.
And it's made in the USA, including the tires.

Chas Hurst

Old 08-02-2003, 09:02 AM
Ron B

On 2/7/03 20:46, in article , "Chas Hurst"
wrote:2/7/03 20:46

"Ron B" wrote in message
On 2/1/03 23:43, in article ,
"Brigitte J." wrote:2/1/03 23:43

"Ryan" wrote in message
[...]

Glad you are so far happy with you Craftsman riding mower. IMHO, you will
soon find many problems that will crop up. I hope you don't, but with my
past experience, you will soon have many problems.

The construction of my Cub 3235 is far superior to other mowers that I have
examined. I hope that you don't have the problems that I had, but even if
you don't, I only hope that you will consider what superior engineering will
give you in the end.

Even more than twice the price, I have a machine that should last many years
with less trouble...

Ron

Old 08-02-2003, 03:22 PM
Chas Hurst

"Ron B" wrote in message
On 2/7/03 20:46, in article am

Glad you are so far happy with you Craftsman riding mower. IMHO, you will
soon find many problems that will crop up. I hope you don't, but with my
past experience, you will soon have many problems.

The construction of my Cub 3235 is far superior to other mowers that I

have
examined. I hope that you don't have the problems that I had, but even if
you don't, I only hope that you will consider what superior engineering

will
give you in the end.

Even more than twice the price, I have a machine that should last many

years
with less trouble...

Ron

Can you be specific about the nature of the problems?