Old 10-02-2003, 06:24 PM
donald girod

Default snowblowers

I have a gravel driveway and used to have a big two-stage snowblower. It
systematically ate rocks and jammed either the auger or impeller or both,
and I got rid of it in favor of a plow. This works pretty good but a
snowblower would certainly be handy for clearing out in front of the garage
and opening a space to turn the plow (actually a 4' blade on an ATV). Is
there any snowblower design that is relatively rock-tolerant? It would not
have to be a huge one, and right now the area I'm talking about is covered
with #1 crushed stone, so it would not necessarily have to tolerate large
rocks. I need to clear an area about 8' x 70'

Old 10-02-2003, 11:44 PM
Judy and Dave G

"donald girod" wrote in message
I have a gravel driveway and used to have a big two-stage snowblower. It
systematically ate rocks and jammed either the auger or impeller or both,
and I got rid of it in favor of a plow.

Hello

We also have a gravel driveway. Steep. Long. About 500 feet. We have a
blade for our tractor and it does move the snow, but it also moves the
gravel. Hubby found a great solution. Relatively cheap too. He uses a
leaf blower. Yep. Blows the snow off the gravel. Has been doing it this
way for about 4 years. You have to get out there and blow it before anyone
drives on it, however, or it will not work. He just does tire paths. My
father was visiting one winter and was so impressed he went out and bought
one also. He hasn't shoveled his sidewalk since!

Judy

Old 11-02-2003, 11:22 PM
donald girod

I like that idea. Minimal investment (my motherinlaw has one), and I can
see that it would be effective with dry new snow. Thanks!