Old 01-01-2008, 04:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Global warming my ass!

Yes man global warming is one of the major problem faced by the world today the non-stop snowfall is also the cause of it ....
--
I am what i am
Old 02-01-2008, 06:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:10:03 -0600, "Ryan P."
wrote:

dgk wrote:
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:49:22 -0600, "Ryan P."
wrote:

dgk wrote:

.
I have not, as yet, bought a big plasma (very high electric usage I
hear) TV, but my resistance is eroding. The Superbowl is fast
approaching.
.
.
I suggest a big screen LCD. Much less power consumption, for one. I
think the picture is better, and you can actually touch them without
burning your hand!

Is that correct? It's hard to find info on which uses less
electricity. I know that plasmas are very hot, but I've read that LCDs
also are hot enough to cook on. Bu then, I have no idea how much my
current CRT model uses. That gets hot also.

.
.
Out of curiosity, I asked an engineer relative about this.

His basic response: It depends what you watch on the screen. The
plasma screens are cheaper *IF* you watch a lot of darker programming
(suspense movies, for example). LCDs are cheaper *IF* you watch a lot
of bright programming (sports, for example). He said that you're
looking at maybe a $1 or $2 difference over the course of a month.

You can save more money per month by unplugging (or use a power bar)
electronic equipment when you aren't using it. He says the average
techonogeek (multiple TV's, stereo, computer, ect ect) could cut their
electric bill by about 10% by doing this.

So I guess I was wrong! It pays to know people who know things!

This is from Solar One, an arts and education center on the NYC east
side (that I happen to pass while biking in and out of Manhattan):
In the market for a new TV? LCD screens, in general, use almost 70%
less energy than their tube counterparts. Plasma TVs use a bit more,
and rear-projection TVs used the least. But some used way more vampire
current than others. A Sharp TV set used a whopping 72w in standby
mode. Check out this CNET chart for different models.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6475_7-6400401-3.html

The Plasma sets do seem worse.

On the plus side, they apparently use LESS electricity than my current
CRT set, so I suppose I can feel less guilty about buying a new set.

The one that I've been looking at, a 42" Visio, appears to be pretty
good.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Registered User

i am thinking of a new business

would you hire a wheelie grit bin during the winter for just £ 4.50 per week

http://www.cleanergardens.com/70142/info.php?p=15&pno=0

or am i crazy as usual

adrian
Old 24-02-2008, 08:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"dgk" wrote in message
Finally, do you think that global warming, if it is even occuring,
might be a good thing? I sort of lean that way a bit. I think that
it's too cold where I live (NYC). I love it here, but surfing is
limited by the fact that the ocean is now 43F. That doesn't stop the
really dedicated surfers I might point out. My main beach
(http://www.surfline.com/reports/report.cfm?id=4270) often has people
surfing in the winter. That's why God invented wet suits after all.

The problem will be all those building hulks breaking up the wave flow.

Old 25-02-2008, 01:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Ryan P." wrote in message
The Antarctic ice sheets are GROWING over the past many years.

Show us the documentation for this claim.

Old 25-02-2008, 01:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Ryan P." wrote in message
ecarecar wrote:

Ryan P. wrote:

ecarecar wrote:

Before you relax in you complacency, I think you should check on the rate
of change
during the "vast number of major changes in Earth's past history." I think
you will find
that never before has the rate of change been this large.

.
.
Okay, I did a bit of research. It seems that just after the end of the
last major ice age, 12,000 years ago (before modern civilzation), the global
temperature jumped by about 14 degrees (F) in just a few decades. This
article:

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/climate-04k.html

Cites several other examples of rapid climate change. Two particularly
interesting paragraphs:

""Technically, an abrupt climate change occurs when the climate system is
forced to cross some threshold, triggering a transition to a new state at a
rate determined by the climate system itself and faSter than the cause,"
according to a definition developed by the National Research Council.

Abrupt change needs a trigger, an amplifier -- some mechanism to have the
trigger affect a large area -- and a source of persistence. It turns out
lots of triggers have been identified, for example, an accumulation of
carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, as is occurring now.""

If someone claims that there was a temperature increase of "14 degrees (F) in
just a few decades"
some time in the past, they certainly can't claim it was caused by loading
the atmosphere with
carbon dioxide in just a few decades.

It is not comparable.

.
.
Speaking of which, there's disagreement on whether an increase in CO2 leads
to an increase in temperature, or if an increase in temperature leads to an
increase in CO2. Ice core samples and other evidence suggest that the planet
warmed first, and then experienced an increase in CO2 levels.

Which in no way discounts the effects of CO2 on the climate.

Old 22-04-2008, 02:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
RR RR is offline

Clark... wrote:
I couldn't open my fricken door this morning for crying out loud, (no it was
not jammed shut with a 10 inch pine stick)
gonna be outside with my trustie 5hp 24inch Craftsman snow blower all
fricken day !
takes an hour or two to do the snow here in Southampton, then we are off to
Holyoke to clear the rental property, and then to dig out my grandmothers
car out , the whole deal is gonna take 5 hours I bet.
Al Gore should the hell up, what a moron...

Clark...

You as a layman wont be able to see the change. If you expect to see the
change within the short time till your death, you will probably be an
angry old man whining about some porposterous observation some political
official in the public eye has made....

Old 23-04-2008, 05:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

On Apr 21, 9:51*pm, RR wrote:

You as a layman wont be able to see the change. If you expect to see the
change within the short time till your death, you will probably be an
angry old man whining about some porposterous observation some political
* official in the public eye has made....

"Based on the latest comprehensive weather station data, The Arbor Day
Foundation has just released a new 2006 arborday.org Hardiness Zone
Map which separates the country into ten different temperature zones
to help people select the right trees to plant where they live.
The new map reflects that many areas have become warmer since 1990
when the last USDA hardiness zone map was published. Significant
portions of many states have shifted at least one full hardiness zone.
Much of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio, for example, have shifted from
Zone 5 to a warmer Zone 6. Some areas around the country have even
warmed two full zones."
http://www.arborday.org/media/zonechanges2006.cfm
http://www.arborday.org/media/map_change.cfm