Old 28-01-2008, 06:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

Default water well test

I'm starting work on a community garden for our church.

The first thing is I need to check out an old but maybe useable well. We
have good, 2" outflo at the 2hp pump pipe.

Is that all I can do to test it?

The reason I'm asking is we're going to need to run the water about 400'
across yards and driveways. If it's worth doing that, then we can proceed.

If not, we won't be able to handle the project for lack of water.

We could drive a well close to the project, but then we'd have to run 300
yards of electrical to the site, which might also be a "deal breaker".

Old 28-01-2008, 08:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

rb wrote:
I'm starting work on a community garden for our church.

The first thing is I need to check out an old but maybe useable
well.
We have good, 2" outflo at the 2hp pump pipe.

Is that all I can do to test it?

If no other wells in the area have gone dry & there are no
restrictions in your area on pumping water from wells, I see nothing
to worry about!!

Tom J

Old 28-01-2008, 10:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

rb said:

I'm starting work on a community garden for our church.

The first thing is I need to check out an old but maybe useable well. We
have good, 2" outflo at the 2hp pump pipe.

Is that all I can do to test it?

The reason I'm asking is we're going to need to run the water about 400'
across yards and driveways. If it's worth doing that, then we can proceed.

If not, we won't be able to handle the project for lack of water.

We could drive a well close to the project, but then we'd have to run 300
yards of electrical to the site, which might also be a "deal breaker".

You could also put a couple of pumps inline, along the route, no?

I think the 2hp pump is gonna struggle, by itself, over that distance.

--

Eggs

APATHY ERROR: Don't bother striking any key.
Old 28-01-2008, 10:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
rb said:

I'm starting work on a community garden for our church.

The first thing is I need to check out an old but maybe useable well. We
have good, 2" outflo at the 2hp pump pipe.

Is that all I can do to test it?

The reason I'm asking is we're going to need to run the water about 400'
across yards and driveways. If it's worth doing that, then we can
proceed.

If not, we won't be able to handle the project for lack of water.

We could drive a well close to the project, but then we'd have to run 300
yards of electrical to the site, which might also be a "deal breaker".

You could also put a couple of pumps inline, along the route, no?

I think the 2hp pump is gonna struggle, by itself, over that distance.

--

Eggs

It requires little power to move water horizontally. I think you will have
no trouble.

Old 28-01-2008, 10:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

rb said:

I'm starting work on a community garden for our church.

The first thing is I need to check out an old but maybe useable well. We
have good, 2" outflo at the 2hp pump pipe.

Is that all I can do to test it?

The reason I'm asking is we're going to need to run the water about 400'
across yards and driveways. If it's worth doing that, then we can
proceed.

If not, we won't be able to handle the project for lack of water.

We could drive a well close to the project, but then we'd have to run 300
yards of electrical to the site, which might also be a "deal breaker".

It requires little power to move water horizontally. I think you will have
no trouble.

That's true. However, I haven't seen too many 400' stretches of ground,
that ran across driveways, yards, et al, that was perfectly horizontal. =)

Oh, I think the water will get there, eventually. I just don't think it'll
have the pressure necessary to do the job, without some assistance.

Alternatively, perhaps some sort of holding tank(s) (from which the actual
watering gets done) at the end of the run, which gets replenished from the
hose feed? It /may/ be able to keep up, then.

--

Eggs

-If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Old 28-01-2008, 11:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I water a garden using a series of 1/2 inch garden hoses about 200 foot in
length from a 2 hp pump. I was surprised at the amount of pressure that I
had at the end. I was expected much more drop off based on experience I had
with a pond pump. I'm also saving 100s of dollars during the summer because
I'm not paying the water company.

Good luck.

. ..

Old 28-01-2008, 11:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

rb said:

[...]

"perfect" rarely happens in this world. Even lifting the water another 5 or
10 feet won't matter, as there is good pressure now.

Old 29-01-2008, 12:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"rb" wrote in message
. ..
I'm starting work on a community garden for our church.

The first thing is I need to check out an old but maybe useable well. We
have good, 2" outflo at the 2hp pump pipe.

Is that all I can do to test it?

The reason I'm asking is we're going to need to run the water about 400'
across yards and driveways. If it's worth doing that, then we can
proceed.

If not, we won't be able to handle the project for lack of water.

We could drive a well close to the project, but then we'd have to run 300
yards of electrical to the site, which might also be a "deal breaker".

Fear not. I run a pump from a brook at least 600' uphill with a 1 1/4"
line. I'm using an old Sears centrifical pump now (not sure but maybe 1/2
HP) and I used to used a regular old Myers piston pump. I fill an old 275
gal fuel tank up top and then let it siphon back down to the garden area
which is about half way up the hill.
I'm guessing my elevation is about 40'.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"rb" wrote in message
. ..
I'm starting work on a community garden for our church.

The first thing is I need to check out an old but maybe useable well. We have
good, 2" outflo at the 2hp pump pipe.

Is that all I can do to test it?

The reason I'm asking is we're going to need to run the water about 400'
across yards and driveways. If it's worth doing that, then we can proceed.

If not, we won't be able to handle the project for lack of water.

We could drive a well close to the project, but then we'd have to run 300
yards of electrical to the site, which might also be a "deal breaker".

You should test it at whatever flow you think you will use and make sure it
doesn't go "dry" after some limiting period of time. Then, make sure you use a
big enough pipe to the garden to avoid pressure loss limitations.
Going under driveways may be a problem if you have hard clay or rocky soil.
Otherwise, you can tunnel under them using water pressure. Make a rig as
described in http://bradyproducts.com/documents/wellinstallation.pdf and use it
horizontally from the ditch you dig to go under drives.

Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 05:40 PM
Well well! Rusty_Hinge[_2_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 04:39 PM
Well well! Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 1 11-03-2009 03:58 PM