GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Float charger (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/170765-float-charger.html)

Herb and Eneva 01-02-2008 07:23 PM

Float charger

Today I was playing in the garage and decided to start the riding
mower. Well the battery is dead. My neighbor says that he keeps a float
charger on his all winter.
Can someone tell me what a float charger is and what does it do? Is it
the same as a battery maintaner? Thanks for any info

jacko 01-02-2008 11:00 PM

Float charger

Yes it's the same. It's important to have a battery charger/tender with a
float or maintenance mode. Other than that, there is a risk of over charging
and frying the battery.

Bob 02-02-2008 10:11 AM

Float charger

"Herb and Eneva" wrote in message
Today I was playing in the garage and decided to start the riding
mower. Well the battery is dead. My neighbor says that he keeps a
float
charger on his all winter.
Can someone tell me what a float charger is and what does it do?
Is it
the same as a battery maintaner? Thanks for
any info

Actually, he is right, but for me, I use an ordinary charger, and on
the first of every month, summer & winter, I put the charger on at
its lowest setting. It usually takes less than ten minutes for the
charger to indicate full charge. This has served me well because
last year I finally replaced the original battery in my eleven year
old rider.
Bob-tx

Larry Caldwell 03-02-2008 08:12 PM

Float charger

In article ,
(Herb and Eneva) says...

Today I was playing in the garage and decided to start the riding
mower. Well the battery is dead. My neighbor says that he keeps a float
charger on his all winter.
Can someone tell me what a float charger is and what does it do? Is it
the same as a battery maintaner? Thanks for any info

You can find cheap float chargers at Harbor Freight. They will maintain
a full charge voltage, but won't put out enough amperage to bring a
battery up to charge. More expensive chargers have a float mode that
kicks the charger on when battery voltage drops. Either one will reduce
the chance of a dead battery in the spring. I keep a cheap float
charger on my tractor and travel trailer all winter.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

AndyS 16-02-2008 01:39 PM

Float charger

Bob wrote:
Actually, he is right, but for me, I use an ordinary charger, and on
the first of every month, summer & winter, I put the charger on at
its lowest setting. It usually takes less than ten minutes for the
charger to indicate full charge. This has served me well because
last year I finally replaced the original battery in my eleven year
old rider.
Bob-tx

Andy writes:

Another alternative is to put an ordinary charger on a $4 timer,
and
let it run for a half hour or so every day.... This way you don't
have
to remember to mess with it every month. Depending on the
battery size, I would reccomment something around a 1 amp max setting
since you are only compensating for the self-discharge of the
battery.

However, whether you are using Bob's methond or my suggestion, you
should check the water level in the battery occasionally, like every 3
or 4 months,
to make sure everything is working right....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

( Home of the World's Smallest Giant Ball of String )