GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   About to give up (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/170809-about-give-up.html)

wibble 03-02-2008 10:52 AM

About to give up

After years of trying to get a decent bit of rear lawn - I am at the point of gracefully admitting defeat. Half the lawn is swampy wet most of the year,the other half bone dry. Added to this the kids, dogs, cats and now !***! moles continually try to find new ways of trying my patience. Naturally with all this rain the area is as much mud as grass. So no Wimbledon turf for me this year - but does anyone know a really hardy / quick growing grass seed (indestructible) that can survive my problems - so long as the lawn is tough and green - that will do me for now.

Bob F 05-02-2008 02:07 AM

About to give up

"wibble" wrote in message

After years of trying to get a decent bit of rear lawn - I am at the
point of gracefully admitting defeat. Half the lawn is swampy wet most
of the year,the other half bone dry. Added to this the kids, dogs, cats
and now !***! moles continually try to find new ways of trying my
patience. Naturally with all this rain the area is as much mud as
grass. So no Wimbledon turf for me this year - but does anyone know a
really hardy / quick growing grass seed (indestructible) that can
survive my problems - so long as the lawn is tough and green - that
will do me for now.

It might help to give some pertinate info - like where you are, soil type, why
the varied moisture, etc.

[email protected] 11-02-2008 10:52 AM

About to give up

If moles are a problem consider Castor Beans, planted at various spots
and around perimeter of property. They are attractive too, giving a
tropical look. In cooler zones they are more of an annual, but do
re-seed and will pop up the next spring. Over many years I have had a
huge success with them reducing my mole problems. Do be careful in
handling the seeds and plants, as they are very toxic plants. They love
plenty of sun & do like moist soil as well. Will keep growing until the
first frost. An interesting and attractive plant.....

bullthistle 13-02-2008 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wibble (Post 773008)
After years of trying to get a decent bit of rear lawn - I am at the point of gracefully admitting defeat. Half the lawn is swampy wet most of the year,the other half bone dry. Added to this the kids, dogs, cats and now !***! moles continually try to find new ways of trying my patience. Naturally with all this rain the area is as much mud as grass. So no Wimbledon turf for me this year - but does anyone know a really hardy / quick growing grass seed (indestructible) that can survive my problems - so long as the lawn is tough and green - that will do me for now.

Do you have a septic problem? Seems like the dry ground is draining to the low ground, hence water is collecting. No simple solution. Ever think about cutting and filling the soil to level off the area or can you drain the area that is collecting water off to a lower point, but not into your neighbors yard? There has to be a reason why the water is collecting, besides poor drainage. Where is the water coming from? That is where you should start. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Do you have weeping willows across the pond? They will suck up water. http://propagatingperennials.blogspot.com