Old 17-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Registered User

Default BIG Lawnmower problem HELP!

Hello everybody,

First of all I need to say that I'm a complete idiot and very embarrassed!

Yesterday I bought my first petrol lawnmower and in the rush to get it working and the lawn mowed while it was still light I poured my 4 stoke oil in the fuel tank :0(

This morning I going to tip the mower upside down and drain the oil out. Can anyone give any advice on how I could flush out the tank a bit more thoroughly? I'm concerned that a layer of oil will cling to the tank walls and contaminate any unleaded fuel that I put in from now on.
I'm guessing that trying to flush it out with a hose is going to be a fruitless task as water doesn't shift oil at the best of times!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!!!!!!!

Br,

Mark
Old 17-02-2008, 02:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
MarkHill

It sounds like you didn't actually start it and run it, which is
good. If you can find the carb bowl, often they have a drain
fitting, like a small bolt on the bottom which can be used to drain
the remaining fuel before storage, etc. You could use that to get
the fuel in the bowl out. The manual may also talk about how to drain
the carb. The tiny amount of any oil left in the empty tank isn't
enough to cause any problems.

If not, I'd just refill the tank with gas and start it up and run
it. It might smoke a bit, but whatever 2 stroke gas is left will
burn out in a few minutes. After that, if it doesn't run OK, I'd
remove and replace the spark plug, which could be fouled. Other than
that, you should be OK.
Old 17-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Registered User

Thanks for the advice!

I've spoken to a couple of people today who have said to put a little unleaded fuel in the tank, give it a shake around and then drain it again. The fuel should remove some of the remaining oil.

I was just going to do that but I'll try looking for tap to drain the carb first

Cheers!
Old 21-02-2008, 04:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"MarkHill" wrote in message

[...]

There has to be 2 different approaches - one for a big lawnmower and one for
a small one. For a small mower the whole machine can be tipped over and the
oil drained out. For a big lawnmower (which you stated you have, it would
be easier to just pull the gas line off the bottom of the tank and drain it
that way.

--
MarkHill