Old 06-03-2008, 12:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Default Watering with soft water

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 08:30:40 -0800, Billy wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 23:13:52 -0600, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

Dave

My vote in this primary was for the lesser
of many evils...

"But evil is still evil
In anybody's name"
~~ Don Henley "If Dirt Were Dollars"

Nice to have you back Professor:-)

Here now, Mr. Billy! You shouldn't be a temptin' this here old
pig-ignorant autodidactic

Huh? Who's this Otto Dididatik feller anyway and why is he so
ignorant?
to return to his former estate. During my
winter sabbatical, I purposed to return, if indeed I *did* return, a
more gentle and tolerant Charlie.

Charlie, I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty
is no vice and that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Why you lookin' at me like that?

All that banging on pots left me
sorely afflicted with tinnitis.....or was that the atenolol....hmmm.

Afraid you'll have to speak up boy. Ears ain't so good. What'd ya say?

*sigh*.....life is difficult, isn't it?

Oh, it's a little after four. Got plenty of time.

Charlie

And the next round of lisinopril and prunella is on me, kid. I'm taking
your mom's advice on the potted flowers and I've ordered some of the
trailing kind. I want to thank everybody who made suggestions, even
Frank, the knuckle head (Next time he sees an American flag, he'd better
look close to see if a geezer is carrying it.), but fuchsias would get
too much sun in my garden area. I was piqued by Om's suggestion of
growing peanuts, the idea never occurred to me before. Which is
fortunate. According to Wikipedia, the best of the lot for flavor are
"runners" peanuts. Spanish peanuts seem to be susceptible to a host of
ailments and Virginia peanuts are just BIG. I found one supplier of
Spanish peanuts and three of Virginia peanuts. Zip for runners.

Where is that prunella tea? I can feel the systolic creepin' up on me.
Maybe the good denizens of "wrecked gardens", can help me on this one.
I'm lookin' for "runners" peanuts.

Damn, I never wanted to get into the pot bangin' business but as you
mature, sometimes your common sense gets out in front of your good
sense, and you find yourself sayin' things that are likely to cause you
great bodily harm. Defecation of character is too good for Bush, Cheney,
et al. He should pay a greater price for miscon-screwing of the
constitution.

Where the hell is my pot? I try not to leave home without it. Evita was
on the tube last night, sorta got me into the mood, don'cha know.

Anyway, it's good to have you back boy. Bill was struggling to keep me
literate an all, but I think it may be a two man job. I'm looking
forward to being awash again in metaphors, similes, and poetic leaps of
imagery.

What ever become of our girl Rachael? Last I heard the south Sandhill
region of N.C. was drier than a popcorn fart. Can I say that? Anyway, if
you talk to her say, hi. News from North Carolina has a hard time making
it out to the west coast.

Well, I'd better get on with makin' dinner. After a couple of night of
stuffing myself from the barbecue, I think I'd best have a nice green
salad tonight and maybe an over priced artichokes to see if that will
make the peristalsis happy.

See ya' in the funny papers.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article1248.shtml
Old 07-03-2008, 07:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

yeah... the Milwaukee area has some hellatious calcium/magnesium in the water... of
course that is why NE there are all those limestone quarries!!!!

the amount of softening that must be done to our water results in not very tasty
water, I agree. I used to like the taste of hard water until the iron bacteria got
into the well.

If you had long hair you would fall in love with it. We had a softener all my life
but when I left home and lived elsewhere with hard water I couldnt believe how
"gummy" my hair felt all the time. When I came back home my hair went back to
feeling clean and soft. Now lake water comes out of the tap and it is pretty soft.

What bothers me most about the Milwaukee area well water is the radon levels. and
nobody is talking about the fact that heating the water does not blow off the radon
and long hot showers breathing that in cant be very good for anyone.

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 23:50:34 -0600, "Ryan P."
wrote:
My girlfriend's condo complex is all softened water, and I hate
showering there. Of course, Germantown has some terrible ground water
with a high iron/sulfer content, so the softener might not be completely
to blame...

Old 07-03-2008, 07:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

That chemical reaction is no where in my message.

H2S is a byproduct of anaerobic digestion of organic material, and goes into water as
hydrogen sulfide. "hydrogen sulfide is weakly acidic, dissociating in aqueous
solution into hydrogen cations H+ and the hydrosulfide anion HS-: H2S ? HS- + H+ Ka
= 1.3×10-7 mol/L; pKa = 6.89"

"In the management of water-supply wells, iron bacteria are bacteria that derive the
energy they need to live and multiply by oxidizing dissolved ferrous iron (or the
less frequently available manganese and aluminium). .....The proliferation of iron
bacteria, in some way, increases the chance of sulfur bacteria infestation.

Common effects of excess iron in water are a reddish-brown color, stained laundry and
poor tasting coffee. An equally common but less well understood problem is
infestation of water supplies with iron bacteria. Iron bacteria are a natural part of
the environment in most parts of the world. These microorganisms combine dissolved
iron or manganese with oxygen and use it to form rust-colored deposits. In the
process, the bacteria produce a brown slime that builds up on well screens, pipes,
and plumbing fixtures.

Tastes and Odors - Iron bacteria often produce unpleasant tastes and odors commonly
reported as: "swampy," "oily or petroleum," "cucumber," "sewage," "rotten
vegetation," or "musty." The taste or odor may be more noticeable after the water has
not been used for some time. Iron bacteria do not produce hydrogen sulfide, the
"rotten egg" smell, but do create an environment where sulfur bacteria can grow and
produce hydrogen sulfide."

"The purple sulfur bacteria are a group of Proteobacteria capable of photosynthesis,
collectively referred to as purple bacteria. They are anaerobic or microaerophilic,
and are often found in hot springs or stagnant water. Unlike plants , algae, and
cyanobacteria, they do not use water as their reducing agent, and so do not produce
oxygen. Instead they use hydrogen sulfide, which is oxidized to produce granules of
elemental sulfur. This in turn may be oxidized to form sulfuric acid." These
bacteria are often sold to people to reduce the sludge in ponds and sewage systems.

CO2 goes into water to make H2CO3, carbonic acid.

Under pressure both are in solution like in a well. When pumped out of the well and
pressure is released, the gases come out of solution.

The simple test for both is pump out a 5 gallon bucket of water, take a pH test.
aerate and after 24 hours test pH again. If the pH rises then the gases have come
out of solution. If it is H2S, that can be smelled in very small amounts.

See, just cant spontaneously combine chemical reactions. Ingrid

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 21:20:15 -0800, Billy wrote:
H2S + 2CO2 - H2SO4 + C2 doesn't make any sense. Makes all other
statements questionable.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Yes, it is a two step process.

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 05:35:08 GMT, Charles wrote:
The H2S in the well most likely comes from sulfate reducing bacteria
acting on sulfates that are already in the water.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Billy, stop being abusive.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

The only fixture I've noticed red tint is in the toilet bowl if I let it go
without cleaning long enough. A ring a the surface level in the toilet
about a 1/2" wide. None on the sediment filter bowl, or, the carbon filter
in place for 3 months at a time.

Yet, the obvious level of hydrogen sulfide gas at the well is very high due
to its odor level. The level of gas not only varies with lack of water
usage, but also, with locally heavy rains.

--
Dave

My vote in this primary was for the lesser
of many evils...
. com...

Old 10-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered User

Yeah.. the fight about chemicals in water, that's funny
__________________
miele spares
Old 19-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Registered User

I believe that the outside hose bibs are connected to my home Soft water system. Are there any adverse water and soft water? They have to open the irrigation water system in our rural areas, but I want to avoid some trees and water before this.
__________________
Pond Supplies
Old 05-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Registered User

Distilled, reverse osmosis, or deionized water or rain water are better choices for watering plants to prevent mineral accumulation in the soil. Or, if using softened water, water heavily to wash previously deposited minerals through and beyond the plants' root zones. Heavy sodium or potassium salt concentrations in the absence of calcium or magnesium may affect swelling of soils and retard the growth of plants.

For outside sprinkling purposes the use of softened water is, first and foremost, wasteful. Again, where the concentration of hardness minerals is heavy, the sodium salts replacing them might retard growth and might be sufficient to kill the grass.

Watering with soft water SteveB[_6_] Gardening 56 07-03-2008 07:24 PM
Soft water and calcium Hal[_1_] Ponds (moderated) 11 08-04-2007 10:21 PM
water with soft water? Punch Lawns 3 21-09-2005 08:01 PM
de-acidify some soil? - definition of hard/soft water Salty Thumb Gardening 1 12-05-2004 11:09 PM
Super soft water Mentaloid Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:15 AM