Old 20-03-2008, 06:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

Default lawn mower starts, won't stay running

hi
I have a Tecumseh TVS90 lawn mower. It starts fine but now shuts off
immediately.

I took the gas tank off and cleaned it out - wasn't much debris in it and
the screen was clear.
Tried to check the bulb for a pinhole leak by covering it with duct tape -
did not make a difference.

I can't get to the rest of the gas line b/c the air cleaner mount screws
(which blocks access to the gas line) are stripped.

Any thoughts?
thx
bob

Old 20-03-2008, 07:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bob wrote:
hi
I have a Tecumseh TVS90 lawn mower. It starts fine but now shuts
off
immediately.

I took the gas tank off and cleaned it out - wasn't much debris in
it
and the screen was clear.
Tried to check the bulb for a pinhole leak by covering it with duct
tape - did not make a difference.

I can't get to the rest of the gas line b/c the air cleaner mount
screws (which blocks access to the gas line) are stripped.

Any thoughts?

Most likely a gummed up carburetor. Gum Out or some such product may
help, but most likely it'll take removing the carb for a cleaning.

Tom J

Tom J

Old 21-03-2008, 04:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Take the carb off and soak it good, in some laquer thinner. Then blow it
out. The thinner is highly flamable so be careful and do this outdoors.
Wouldn't hurt to have an ABC extinguisher close by..
Put the carb back on and see what results you get. If you have fuel in the
bowl, you should be able to assume the float/needle valve are functioning
ok. So there should be a stoppage between the bowl and the manifold. . .
..the metering jet. The thinner should soften and remove that.
I have a Sears generator with a Tucumseh 5.5 HP OHV motor that has an
updraft carb. It absolutely will not start without putting fuel in the
spark plug hole, and using a rubber plug to choke it with. Not even on the
4th of July, let alone when I need it when it is minus 30 F. Even doing the
spark plug prime, it runs rough for about 15 seconds before it makes up its
mind to run. Then it is fine.
The prime bulb works okay and I get fuel running out of the intake manifold,
but there is not enough vacumn to suck the fuel into the combustion chamber
and fire the beast. Sears was of zero help. A real pain as I run it twice
a year for 30 minutes and I have to keep it in my house with an emtpy fuel
tank. A job of damn poor design.
*********************

Old 22-03-2008, 03:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Bob" wrote in message
hi
I have a Tecumseh TVS90 lawn mower. It starts fine but now shuts off
immediately.

I took the gas tank off and cleaned it out - wasn't much debris in it and the
screen was clear.
Tried to check the bulb for a pinhole leak by covering it with duct tape - did
not make a difference.

I can't get to the rest of the gas line b/c the air cleaner mount screws
(which blocks access to the gas line) are stripped.

Any thoughts?

Have you tried just pumping the primer periodically once it starts to keep it
running a few minutes? Sometimes the fresh fuel flow will clear the clog.