Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default blade sharpening

is there a cheap mower blade sharpener that works well, angle and
actually sharpening. I tried one of those drill mount things from
lowes once...SUCKS
Old 02-04-2008, 02:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

wrote in message
is there a cheap mower blade sharpener that works well, angle and
actually sharpening. I tried one of those drill mount things from
lowes once...SUCKS

Yes, it is called a file.
Bob-tx

Old 02-04-2008, 03:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...-workshop.html
Old 02-04-2008, 06:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim wrote:
Bob wrote:

bigjcw1023 wrote:
is there a cheap mower blade sharpener that works well, angle and
actually sharpening. I tried one of those drill mount things from
lowes once...SUCKS

Yes, it is called a file.
Bob-tx

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...-workshop.html

Good post and good photos. Same process has worked for me and my 55
year old grinder!!

Tom J

Old 02-04-2008, 10:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Look at a brand new blade in a store. It is NOT very sharp. So don't try
to make your blade useable for surgery.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

is there a cheap mower blade sharpener that works well, angle and
actually sharpening. I tried one of those drill mount things from
lowes once...SUCKS

I just clamp my blades into a bench clamp (one at a time) and grind away
with a big stone on my Dremel. It does not have to be pretty, just
balanced. Easy as cake. I do not get vibration and things get cut fine.
Tomes

Old 04-04-2008, 03:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 3, 6:47*pm, "Tomes" wrote:

is there a cheap mower blade sharpener that works well, angle and
actually sharpening. *I tried one of those drill mount things from
lowes once...SUCKS

I just clamp my blades into a bench clamp (one at a time) and grind away
with a big stone on my Dremel. *It does not have to be pretty, just
balanced. *Easy as cake. *I do not get vibration and things get cut fine.
Tomes

I use a hand held Dewalt grinder. I just turn a 5 gallon pail upside
down, put the blade on top, use my foot to hold it and then grind
away. If you want to be extra safe, you can fasten it in a vice
Old 04-04-2008, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
On Apr 3, 6:47 pm, "Tomes" wrote:

is there a cheap mower blade sharpener that works well, angle and
actually sharpening. I tried one of those drill mount things from
lowes once...SUCKS

I just clamp my blades into a bench clamp (one at a time) and grind away
with a big stone on my Dremel. It does not have to be pretty, just
balanced. Easy as cake. I do not get vibration and things get cut fine.
Tomes

I use a hand held Dewalt grinder. I just turn a 5 gallon pail upside
down, put the blade on top, use my foot to hold it and then grind
away. If you want to be extra safe, you can fasten it in a vice

Your use of just the brand name doesn't tell me what you are using but it is
probably the same thing I use - a 4" disc hand-held angle grinder.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 4, 10:14*am, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 3, 6:47 pm, "Tomes" wrote:

is there a cheap mower blade sharpener that works well, angle and
actually sharpening. I tried one of those drill mount things from
lowes once...SUCKS

I just clamp my blades into a bench clamp (one at a time) and grind away
with a big stone on my Dremel. It does not have to be pretty, just
balanced. Easy as cake. I do not get vibration and things get cut fine.
Tomes

I use a hand held Dewalt grinder. * I just turn a 5 gallon pail upside
down, put the blade on top, use my foot to hold it and then grind
away. * If you want to be extra safe, you can fasten it in a vice

Your use of just the brand name doesn't tell me what you are using but it is
probably the same thing I use - a 4" disc hand-held angle grinder.

Yep, bingo, that's it.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Srgnt Billko" :
Tomes :

is there a cheap mower blade sharpener that works well, angle and
actually sharpening. I tried one of those drill mount things from
lowes once...SUCKS

I just clamp my blades into a bench clamp (one at a time) and grind away
with a big stone on my Dremel. It does not have to be pretty, just
balanced. Easy as cake. I do not get vibration and things get cut fine.
Tomes

I use a hand held Dewalt grinder. I just turn a 5 gallon pail upside
down, put the blade on top, use my foot to hold it and then grind
away. If you want to be extra safe, you can fasten it in a vice

Your use of just the brand name doesn't tell me what you are using but it
is
probably the same thing I use - a 4" disc hand-held angle grinder.

Yep, bingo, that's it.

I have never had one of these, sounds handy. Are they easy to use once one
gets the hang of it? How much do they cost about?
Tomes

Old 08-04-2008, 05:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 7, 9:43*pm, "Tomes" wrote:
Srgnt Billko" :

Tomes :

[...]

Tomes- Hide quoted text -

Yes, very easy to use. I can sharpen two blades in 5 mins. I don't
remember how much I paid for mine. They have them at HD, Lowes, etc.
My guess is about $50
Old 09-04-2008, 04:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Tomes":
Srgnt Billko" :
Tomes :

[...]

Looks like a birthday present. Thanks.
Tomes

Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Tomes" wrote in message
"Tomes":
Srgnt Billko" :
Tomes :

[...]

The latest Harbor Freight mailing has a 4" angle grinder listed for $16.99.