Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Default Training old grape vine...

I have a extremely large, (in my opinion), grape vine that has taken over a
split rail fence and it has been there for at least 20 years. I would like
to extend the fence another 25 feet but instead of using split rail I want
to set some 4x4's into the ground and attach "feedlot" panels for the arbor
to run through. My questions are whether or not an arbor that old will train
itself down the new fence and if not, what is the best way to get it to
start running down the new fence? Also, what is the best way to fertilize a
large grape arbor? No more fruit grows on it and that's how I want it, it is
just a big wall of vines and leaves which is what I want but I am not sure
how to fertilize. Thanks very much.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

In article 8w8Lj.21807$Ah1.11071@trnddc08,
"For example: John Smith" wrote:

I have a extremely large, (in my opinion), grape vine that has taken over a
split rail fence and it has been there for at least 20 years. I would like
to extend the fence another 25 feet but instead of using split rail I want
to set some 4x4's into the ground and attach "feedlot" panels for the arbor
to run through. My questions are whether or not an arbor that old will train
itself down the new fence and if not, what is the best way to get it to
start running down the new fence? Also, what is the best way to fertilize a
large grape arbor? No more fruit grows on it and that's how I want it, it is
just a big wall of vines and leaves which is what I want but I am not sure
how to fertilize. Thanks very much.

Just train a cane in the direction you want to go and reduce any canes
that may be redundant. It may take 4 - 6 years for it to go 25'. Vines
vegetate if given water and nitrogen. I'd give it a nice shot of fish
emulsion now and also in May, June, and July. I don't know what your
soil is like but if the roots can penetrate it, they can go down to
forty feet.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Billy said:

[...]

I don't know what your soil is like but if the roots can
penetrate it, they can go down to forty feet.

Source?
--

Eggs

A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of
marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Billy said:

[...]

I don't know what your soil is like but if the roots can
penetrate it, they can go down to forty feet.

Source?

General Viticulture
by A. J. Winkler (Author), James A. Cook (Author), W. M. Kliewer
(Author), Lloyd A. Lider (Author)

Publisher: University of California Press; 2 edition (December 13, 1974)

ISBN-10: 0520025911
ISBN-13: 978-0520025912

http://www.amazon.com/General-Viticu...025911/ref=pd_
bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207897652&sr=1-1

page 82 , third sentence

Old 11-04-2008, 10:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Billy said:

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Billy said:

[...]

I don't know what your soil is like but if the roots can
penetrate it, they can go down to forty feet.

Source?

General Viticulture
by A. J. Winkler (Author), James A. Cook (Author), W. M. Kliewer
(Author), Lloyd A. Lider (Author)

Publisher: University of California Press; 2 edition (December 13, 1974)

ISBN-10: 0520025911
ISBN-13: 978-0520025912

http://www.amazon.com/General-Viticu...025911/ref=pd_
bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207897652&sr=1-1

page 82 , third sentence

Thanks. I had never heard that before. One (at least this one) would think
that roots going that deep, for a vine, would be pointless. There's
probably a only trace of oxygen and very little fresh water at that depth.
I don't grow grapes, so I have very little reference materials about them.
I may pick that one up, just for the helluvit. =)

--

Eggs

-There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Billy said:

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Billy said:

[...]

[...]

I have read that carrot roots cn go down 16 feet.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Billy said:

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Billy said:

[...]

[...]

Water is the main reason the vines tap roots will stretch out so far. In
St. Emillion, an hour's drive east of Bordeaux, there are extensive
sandstone caves, originally excavated for building materials and later
used for wine storage. There often will be vineyards 20 feet or so above
the caves and it is not unusual to see their roots descending into the
cave where they will be seen with droplets of water on them, that have
been extracted from the air.