GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Picked first asparagus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/173102-picked-first-asparagus.html)

Srgnt Billko 16-04-2008 11:31 PM

Picked first asparagus

Just a handful - enough for supper.

Steve[_23_] 17-04-2008 12:48 AM

Picked first asparagus

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
Just a handful - enough for supper.

Yum, I bet that was good.

Srgnt Billko 17-04-2008 01:32 AM

Picked first asparagus

"Steve" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
Just a handful - enough for supper.

Yum, I bet that was good.

Nothing like veggies eaten within a few hours of being picked. I chuckle
when I see super market stuff advertised as "fresh".

Dale P 19-04-2008 07:39 AM

Picked first asparagus

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Just a handful - enough for supper.

you bring back some real memories. When I was young, we lived in the
country with an irrigation canal going through the property. In the heavy
grass along the canal, asparagus would grow. Many is the time that my
mother would give me a paper bag and a kitchen knife and send me out to
gather asparagus along the ditch. She always told us to let some of the
plants stay and go to seed to keep the crop coming for future years. We also
had an asparagus patch in the garden, but walking along the ditch gathering
asparagus was much more fun. I have always liked asparagus.

Dale P