Old 18-04-2008, 05:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default dandelions and clovers

Every spring I have a patch of Clovers and Dandelions. Every Spring I
put down a broad leave herbicide; they all die off. Then the following
spring I do the same thing all over again. How can I end this cycle of
them coming back?
Old 18-04-2008, 11:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 18, 11:47*am, Peter Pan wrote:
Every spring I have a patch of Clovers and Dandelions. Every Spring I
put down a broad leave herbicide; they all die off. Then the following
spring I do the same thing all over again. *How can I end this cycle of
them coming back?

Usually, having lots of weeds of any type is symptom of a lawn that is
not thick and dense. If it is, it will block out most weeds on it's
own. Still you will always have some, but they should be easily
treated with some minimal herbicide applied via a tank sprayer. That
minimizes the herbicide, which is better for the environment.

I'd start by analyzing what kind of grass you have and what shape it's
in. Aerating, overseeding, proper fertilization, PH, etc could be
appropriate steps to not only help keep the weeds out, but make it
look better too.
Old 19-04-2008, 05:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
On Apr 18, 11:47 am, Peter Pan wrote:
Every spring I have a patch of Clovers and Dandelions. Every Spring I
put down a broad leave herbicide; they all die off. Then the following
spring I do the same thing all over again. How can I end this cycle of
them coming back?

Usually, having lots of weeds of any type is symptom of a lawn that is
not thick and dense. If it is, it will block out most weeds on it's
own. Still you will always have some, but they should be easily
treated with some minimal herbicide applied via a tank sprayer. That
minimizes the herbicide, which is better for the environment.

I'd start by analyzing what kind of grass you have and what shape it's
in. Aerating, overseeding, proper fertilization, PH, etc could be
appropriate steps to not only help keep the weeds out, but make it
look better too.

I aerate every fall and over seed, I use Lesco Team Mates seed and my yard
looks like a thick shag carpet. I have no other issues with the lawn other
then what I said in the OP. Honestly, my yard looks better then EVERYONE
else's in the neighborhood and most of them use a landscaper (Except for right
now)

Do you fertilize?

I haven't aerated or overseeded in 15 years, and my lawn does fine with
fertilizer and lime. A few times a year I walk around with a spray bottle of
weed-b-gon - spray the weeds, and that takes care of them.

Old 23-04-2008, 11:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 19, 10:11*am, "Bob F" wrote:

Do you fertilize?

I haven't aerated or overseeded in 15 years, and my lawn does fine with
fertilizer and lime. A few times a year I walk around with a spray bottle of
weed-b-gon - spray the weeds, and that takes care of them.

No one has mentioned "neighbors" yet as a contributing variable. If
none of your nieghbors do anything to handle dandelions in their
yards, then you'll be fighting them in your yard every year.

Old 24-04-2008, 12:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 23, 5:15*pm, Darryl wrote:
On Apr 19, 10:11*am, "Bob F" wrote:

Do you fertilize?

I haven't aerated or overseeded in 15 years, and my lawn does fine with
fertilizer and lime. A few times a year I walk around with a spray bottle of
weed-b-gon - spray the weeds, and that takes care of them.

No one has mentioned "neighbors" yet as a contributing variable. *If
none of your nieghbors do anything to handle dandelions in their
yards, then you'll be fighting them in your yard every year.

I was also wondering if the lawn is in such great shape, why is it
that he's overseeding every Fall? That should only be required
infrequently, it the lawn is thinning out from some problem. I'd also
try backing off on the aeration. Aeration can be a good thing, but it
does rip up the soil, which presents an opportunity for weeds to enter.
Old 24-04-2008, 10:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I'm not really sure why I over seed every year.. I guess I thought it
was the thing to do to keep your lawn looking nice every year.
I've been looking where the clovers grow, I now see that I need to
thicken it up some more.

Getting rid of an acre of Plantain and Dandelions... organically? Jeßus[_8_] Australia 6 13-06-2011 01:18 AM
Moss and Clovers jonbey Lawns 3 12-11-2009 05:46 PM
Buttercup Clovers YMC[_2_] Australia 0 13-06-2008 08:01 AM
Clovers Padraig Garden Photos 4 21-02-2007 11:40 AM
dandelions, grass, and tulips [email protected] Gardening 10 19-04-2006 12:45 AM