Old 21-04-2008, 07:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Weeds - Dandelions - I am concerned

I applied some weed killer the other day, and indeed the dandelions
seem to be in their death throes. I don't understand though.

I think I read somewhere that the way these weed killers work is they
accelerate weed growth so they demise early. Accordingly, my
dandelions are wilting now, but it seems to me what has happened is
that they have grown, bloomed and then quickly turned to seed which
the wind is blowing around like it always does. Well now, doesn't
this mean that I know have new seeds all over my lawn? Which will
again bloom one day?

Straighten me out here.

Thanks

-GECKO
Old 21-04-2008, 09:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 21, 2:04*pm, gecko wrote:
I applied some weed killer the other day, and indeed the dandelions
seem to be in their death throes. *I don't understand though.

I think I read somewhere that the way these weed killers work is they
accelerate weed growth so they demise early. *

Which specific weed killer are you referring too? I've never seen a
weedkiller that accelerated weed growth. Just the opposite. Within a
few days, the weeds wilt and die.

Accordingly, my
dandelions are wilting now, but it seems to me what has happened is
that they have grown, bloomed and then quickly turned to seed which
the wind is blowing around like it always does. *Well now, doesn't
this mean that I know have new seeds all over my lawn? *Which will
again bloom one day?

Straighten me out here.

Don't let them get large enough to go to seed. If they start to
bloom, mowing should eliminate a high percentage of them. Follow with
spot application of herbicide.

Old 21-04-2008, 11:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

gecko wrote:
I applied some weed killer the other day, and indeed the dandelions
seem to be in their death throes. I don't understand though.

I think I read somewhere that the way these weed killers work is they
accelerate weed growth so they demise early. Accordingly, my
dandelions are wilting now, but it seems to me what has happened is
that they have grown, bloomed and then quickly turned to seed which
the wind is blowing around like it always does. Well now, doesn't
this mean that I know have new seeds all over my lawn? Which will
again bloom one day?

Straighten me out here.

Thanks

-GECKO

Yes and no. There is some explanation in this wiki artice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxin

Spraying kills danedlions but does not propagate them.
Old 22-04-2008, 04:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:06:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Which specific weed killer are you referring too? I've never seen a
weedkiller that accelerated weed growth. Just the opposite. Within a
few days, the weeds wilt and die.

Ortho WeedBGone and Scotts TBuilder with Halts.
-GECKO
Old 22-04-2008, 07:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 22, 11:26*am, gecko wrote:
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:06:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Which specific weed killer are you referring too? * *I've never seen a
weedkiller that accelerated weed growth. *Just the opposite. *Within a
few days, the weeds wilt and die.

Ortho WeedBGone and Scotts TBuilder with Halts.
-GECKO

I've used the WeedBGone with excellent results. Broadleaf weeds start
wilting within a few days and are dead in about 10 days.

Old 22-04-2008, 07:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 22, 11:26*am, gecko wrote:
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:06:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Which specific weed killer are you referring too? * *I've never seen a
weedkiller that accelerated weed growth. *Just the opposite. *Within a
few days, the weeds wilt and die.

Ortho WeedBGone and Scotts TBuilder with Halts.
-GECKO

Oh, and forgot to add, the Halts is a pre-emergent crabgrass control,
which will keep new weeds from germinating, but won't effect existing
ones.
Old 27-04-2008, 01:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"gecko" wrote in message
I applied some weed killer the other day, and indeed the dandelions
seem to be in their death throes. I don't understand though.

I think I read somewhere that the way these weed killers work is they
accelerate weed growth so they demise early. Accordingly, my
dandelions are wilting now, but it seems to me what has happened is
that they have grown, bloomed and then quickly turned to seed which
the wind is blowing around like it always does. Well now, doesn't
this mean that I know have new seeds all over my lawn? Which will
again bloom one day?

Picking the flowers as soon as you see them is the best way to avoid seeds. I
don't know if the seeds are viable after weed killers are applied, but my guess
is yes.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

On Apr 21, 2:04*pm, gecko wrote:
I applied some weed killer the other day, and indeed the dandelions
seem to be in their death throes. *I don't understand though.

I think I read somewhere that the way these weed killers work is they
accelerate weed growth so they demise early. *Accordingly, my
dandelions are wilting now, but it seems to me what has happened is
that they have grown, bloomed and then quickly turned to seed which
the wind is blowing around like it always does. *Well now, doesn't
this mean that I know have new seeds all over my lawn? *Which will
again bloom one day?

Straighten me out here.

Thanks

-GECKO

yeah, it's like ripening tomatoes; once they get past the initial
stages, the fruit will finish up on their own.