Old 24-04-2008, 11:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default PTO Pulley on a Gravely Pro 50 walkbehind?

I have an older Gravely walk-behind - marked "Gravely Pro" on the
drive covers, "Pro 50" on the deck, and model number 47385 on one tag
and serial number 00625178 on another. Unfortunately, the model
numbers don't show up on the Ariens/Gravely site, so I have no idea
what this is... Kawasaki motor, belt drive, manual trans - my guess
is early 90's.

I'm trying to swap out the engine, and having some problems. The main
issue at this point is the PTO pulley: instead of an electric PTO,
this has a split pulley PTO - when you put tension on the V-belt it
wedges between the two halves of the pulley and engages the blade.

So I pulled the bolt, used a gear puller on the lower half of the
pulley with no problems, and then tried the same on the upper pulley.
I thought it was moving, but it clearly wasn't, since I broke the
pulley. I looked up towards the end of the shaft, and saw an internal
snap-ring which I assumed was there to position the upper pulley on
the shaft (to keep it from going too far on, not to prevent it from
coming off). Regardless, with the snapring pulled the pulley still
won't budge...

So, a couple of questions:
-Any idea what the model number of this might be?
-Any idea if there's something else holding the pulley to the
crankshaft, or if this one is just securely rusted in place?
-I assume I can get the pulley welded; any idea if this can be easily
converted to an electric PTO, and if there would be any benefit to
that?

Thanks,
-Mike
Old 25-04-2008, 12:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
[...]

Why screw around - go to a Gravely dealer - you're going to end up there
sooner or later anyway.

MTD lawn tractor speed control pulley stuck Srgnt Billko Lawns 0 02-07-2006 11:57 PM
Comments on Gravely ZT 1540? or others? 4th Amendment defiled by Patriot Act Lawns 2 16-07-2004 05:05 AM
Gravely Dave Lawns 0 09-06-2004 03:17 PM
JD 14sb walkbehind drive belt replacement [email protected] Lawns 0 12-05-2004 08:03 PM
FS: Gravely 60" mower Ron Lawns 0 04-05-2003 03:57 PM