Old 26-04-2008, 09:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Tiller opinions

Our Great Dane has been tilling my back yard for me and now I need to redo
it. I was looking for something small and cheap to loosen up the dirt and
smooth out the craters before I reseed. Does anyone have any opinions about
the Bolens 31cc, 2 cycle cultivator or the RYOBI 25.4 CC Gas Cultivator? Or
could someone recomend another one? Thanks

Marc

Old 26-04-2008, 11:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"mgarvie" wrote in message
. ..
Our Great Dane has been tilling my back yard for me and now I need to
redo it. I was looking for something small and cheap to loosen up the
dirt and smooth out the craters before I reseed. Does anyone have any
opinions about the Bolens 31cc, 2 cycle cultivator or the RYOBI 25.4 CC
Gas Cultivator? Or could someone recomend another one? Thanks

Marc

If those are like the one my wife bought several years ago, they are junk.
They may be ok for light duty if the soil is already very soft. That
thing only lasted me about 2 years doing a small garden about 10 x 20
feet.

They are not called "plows" - they are called "cultivators". They are not
meant to prepare a whole garden - they are meant to cultivate stuff that is
growing or prepare raised beds - small spots. I bought an old used Mantis
and used that for a couple years and then bought a reconditioned Toro from
Lowe's for $100. Sold the Mantis for what I paid for it and have used the
Toro for a couple years now. We have 9 raised 2' by 8' boxes - it is great
for preparing them. I use it a little to cultivate in tight spots like
between tomato plants when the get big and spread out - and a little in the
vine plants as they spread. Usually just 10 or 15 minutes at a time.

Old 27-04-2008, 11:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

mgarvie wrote:
Our Great Dane has been tilling my back yard for me and now I need to redo
it. I was looking for something small and cheap to loosen up the dirt and
smooth out the craters before I reseed. Does anyone have any opinions about
the Bolens 31cc, 2 cycle cultivator or the RYOBI 25.4 CC Gas Cultivator? Or
could someone recomend another one? Thanks

Marc

Any cultivator of that size is primarily built to turn over existing
gardens. They do not break new ground very well at all.

--
Art