Old 23-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Rene Wong

Default grub control - spring and summer treatment needed?

I'm shopping for lawn care programs. Some companies offer a spring and
summer grub control treatment. They try to sell that spring treatment helps
with the grubs near the surface, whereas the summer treatment uses Merit.

My question : if I'm going to get the Merit treatment in the summer, is it
necessary to have a spring 'surface/contact' treatment as well?

Rene Wong

--
If replying directly to this message via email, please remove "nospam" from
the address.

Old 23-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Timothy

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:37:13 +0000, Rene Wong wrote:

I'm shopping for lawn care programs. Some companies offer a spring and
summer grub control treatment. They try to sell that spring treatment
helps with the grubs near the surface, whereas the summer treatment uses
Merit.

My question : if I'm going to get the Merit treatment in the summer, is it
necessary to have a spring 'surface/contact' treatment as well?

Good day Rene. Just curious to know but are you sure you have grubs? Are
they doing visible damage? Unsure about your area, but many maintaince
companies around here just love to treat for cranefly if they are
infesting the lawn or not. A healthy lawn should be able to with stand an
infestation with little to no damage.
--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 23-04-2003, 10:20 PM

"Timothy" wrote:
On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:37:13 +0000, Rene Wong wrote:

I'm shopping for lawn care programs. Some companies offer a spring and
summer grub control treatment. They try to sell that spring treatment
helps with the grubs near the surface, whereas the summer treatment
uses Merit.

My question : if I'm going to get the Merit treatment in the summer, is
it necessary to have a spring 'surface/contact' treatment as well?

Good day Rene. Just curious to know but are you sure you have grubs? Are
they doing visible damage?

If they're doing damage,it's too late for merit,since it -only-
works as prevention. It will not kill large grubs.

Unsure about your area, but many maintaince
companies around here just love to treat for cranefly if they are
infesting the lawn or not. A healthy lawn should be able to with stand an
infestation with little to no damage.

Not from grubs,they can destroy a healthy lawn.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 24-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Rene Wong

I'm sure I have grubs. The lawn has been dug up by crows, raccoons.
Any ideas about the need for a spring 'surface' treatment ?

ble.rogers.com...

Old 24-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Peter H

"Rene Wong" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
I'm shopping for lawn care programs. Some companies offer a spring and
summer grub control treatment. They try to sell that spring treatment

helps
with the grubs near the surface, whereas the summer treatment uses Merit.

My question : if I'm going to get the Merit treatment in the summer, is it
necessary to have a spring 'surface/contact' treatment as well?

Rene Wong

--
If replying directly to this message via email, please remove "nospam"

from
the address.

Yes it is. The Merit works as a preventer and when applied as per the label
I have found it to be almost 100% effective in preventing a NEW infestation
of grubs. Unfortunately it is only effective on the very young grubs and
will do nothing to combat an existing problem.

You then have the option of combating the existing grubs w/ another product
or just waiting them out. They are the larvae of junebugs, Japanese beetles
etc and can live 1 to 3 years as a grub. At this stage they can't multiply,
so if you are using the Merit in the summer after a few years the existing
grubs will leave your lawn one way or another. The problem is you may have
to live with the lawn being dug up each spring and fall for a while.

Peter H

Old 09-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Jimmy Bundrick

For most problems 2-3 apps are needed to control certain insects such as
grubs. Another good insecticide to us for grub control is Talstar PL
Granules. This is a restricted use insecticide, so you will have to have a
lawn care company apply it.

Where do you live?

If grubs are active there sooner the better to get the application of
insecticide to your total lawn.

Jimmy Bundrick

ble.rogers.com...

Old 09-05-2003, 06:08 AM

"Jimmy Bundrick" wrote:
For most problems 2-3 apps are needed to control certain insects such as
grubs.

Not really. You don't have to kill every grub. 3-5 grubs per sq ft
won't do enough damage to worry about. One dose of sevin will be plenty,
if it's watered in as soon as it's applied.

Another good insecticide to us for grub control is Talstar PL
Granules. This is a restricted use insecticide, so you will have to have
a lawn care company apply it.

I'd use Dylox, if it was my customer.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old 09-05-2003, 06:08 AM

wrote in message
"Jimmy Bundrick" wrote:
For most problems 2-3 apps are needed to control certain insects such
as grubs.

Not really. You don't have to kill every grub. 3-5 grubs per sq ft
won't do enough damage to worry about. One dose of sevin will be
plenty, if it's watered in as soon as it's applied.

Another good insecticide to us for grub control is Talstar PL
Granules. This is a restricted use insecticide, so you will have to
have a lawn care company apply it.

I'd use Dylox, if it was my customer.

Well,we don't want to kill earth worms,or dogs. We must be careful.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 09-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Jimmy Bundrick

Another note for you. 3-5 grubs per sq.ft. translates to 12,000 grubs in a
4000 sq.ft. lawn sounds like too much to me.

Old 09-05-2003, 06:32 AM

"Jimmy Bundrick" wrote:
Another note for you. 3-5 grubs per sq.ft. translates to 12,000 grubs in
a 4000 sq.ft. lawn sounds like too much to me.

A final note to your top posted guessing at lawncare practices.

They don't make much sound.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 10-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Jimmy Bundrick

I am not guessing I have a combined experience in Lawn Care practices of 7
years as a Lawn Care Tech.

In my experince if you see one insect there are alot more of them than you
could count. By only using one sqaure foot of turf to judge the rest of the
lawn you are underestimating the population of turf damaging insects in any
given lawn.

Jimmy Bundrick
Grassmaster Lawn Tech
Thomasville, GA

Old 10-05-2003, 10:56 PM

"Jimmy Bundrick" wrote:
I am not guessing I have a combined experience in Lawn Care practices of
7 years as a Lawn Care Tech.

In my experince if you see one insect there are alot more of them than
you could count. By only using one sqaure foot of turf to judge the rest
of the lawn you are underestimating the population of turf damaging
insects in any given lawn.

Jimmy Bundrick
Grassmaster Lawn Tech
Thomasville, GA

After seeing you post this,I wouldn't want you to touch my lawn.

"Jimmy Bundrick" wrote:
For most problems 2-3 apps are needed to control certain insects such as
grubs.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month

Can You Apply Lawn Fertilizer and Grub Control At The Same Time?? MICHELLE H. Gardening 11 22-07-2018 02:52 AM
Can You Apply Lawn Fertilizer and Grub Control At The Same Time?? MICHELLE H. Lawns 0 02-08-2011 11:34 PM
Stag beetle grub or white grub? kenty;\) United Kingdom 3 20-06-2006 03:56 PM
Grub prevention/treatment? Mike Lawns 5 15-04-2005 11:32 PM
Grub Worms Prevention Treatment GoHorns Gardening 3 30-11-2004 06:05 PM