Old 04-05-2008, 07:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Playing with gophers

I finally got my pocket gopher killer working. This is the third version of
it, and I believe this one is a keeper. It uses a welding torch handle and
some other fittings to put propane and pure O2 down a gopher burrow. Then a
spark. The concussion kills them, removes the oxygen, and collapses a good
bit of the tunnel. Go to Rodenator.com and look at their videos. Theirs is
$1800, and no tanks or regulators.. Mine was from parts I had, and could be
built for $50. Tanks and regulators extra, bringing the whole deal to about
$500.

Yesterday, I was working in the driveway, and one was shoving dirt out of a
mound. Why that cheeky little guy! I went and hooked up the gopher device,
and within a few minutes he was in gopher heaven.

I've used poisons, traps, flooding, but this works.

Steve

--
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere
critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly,

Old 05-05-2008, 01:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

SteveB said:

I finally got my pocket gopher killer working. This is the third version of
it, and I believe this one is a keeper. It uses a welding torch handle and
some other fittings to put propane and pure O2 down a gopher burrow. Then a
spark. The concussion kills them, removes the oxygen, and collapses a good
bit of the tunnel. Go to Rodenator.com and look at their videos. Theirs is
$1800, and no tanks or regulators.. Mine was from parts I had, and could be
built for $50. Tanks and regulators extra, bringing the whole deal to about
$500.

Yesterday, I was working in the driveway, and one was shoving dirt out of a
mound. Why that cheeky little guy! I went and hooked up the gopher device,
and within a few minutes he was in gopher heaven.

I've used poisons, traps, flooding, but this works.

Steve

$500 to kill a gopher. LOL

I got a gopher this afternoon with my $30 spade. Then I used the spade to
cut out some sod, where a garden bed will go. Tomorrow, I'll use it to put
a nice edge around a few other beds. I could probably find some other uses
for it. What else can the gopher killer do, for all the money that it cost?
--

Eggs

Show me a man with both feet firmly on the ground, and I'll show you a man
who can't get his pants off.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

I got a gopher this afternoon with my $30 spade. Then I used the spade to
cut out some sod, where a garden bed will go. Tomorrow, I'll use it to put
a nice edge around a few other beds. I could probably find some other uses
for it. What else can the gopher killer do, for all the money that it cost?

I've gotten rid of many gophers with just my size 12 New Balances.
Tamp down the tunnel and either (1) catch them in the cave in or (2)
they just get annoyed and leave. Done this a couple times a year for the
last couple of decades.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

SteveB said:

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
SteveB said:

[...]

It can hire out for $200 a day to kill other people's gophers. Try that
with a $30 spade.

LOL =)
--

Eggs

A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of
marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

SteveB said:

[...]

I've been using a hav-a-hart and then shooting them in the trap with a .22
and then shoving the carcass down the hole. That discourages other chucks
from staying there. But now they've moved under several of my sheds so it
might be time to sit quietly for a half hour and use the 12 guage again.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

SteveB said:

[...]

I had ya figured as staking the carcass to an 8" high cross, as a warning
to any other pests. =)

But now they've moved under several of my sheds so it
might be time to sit quietly for a half hour and use the 12 guage again.

=)
--

Eggs

-Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

SteveB said:

[...]

Hey - that's a hell-uv-a good idea chuckle

Old 06-05-2008, 06:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Stubby" wrote in message
news
We seem to have a few wild coyotes and a fox. Groundhogs have
disappeared.

They're in the Federal Witness Protection Program.

Steve

Old 06-05-2008, 11:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"SteveB" toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote in message
[...]

..22-250 Remington

Lawn pests (moles an gophers) Jack Gray Gardening 3 22-02-2005 03:29 PM
moles or gophers? VB Lawns 2 25-08-2003 12:02 PM
Gophers! Aargh! amjordan Texas 5 27-06-2003 06:32 PM
Gophers! Aargh! amjordan Texas 0 25-06-2003 07:38 AM
gophers Lacreta Gardening 3 31-03-2003 06:32 AM