Old 04-05-2008, 10:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Hostas

We have some some Hostas that have gone past big into gargantuan. Can
we separate these into two or more plants and then replant the second
plant somewhere else? Is timing important or can I do it now.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Kurt Ullman said:

We have some some Hostas that have gone past big into gargantuan. Can
we separate these into two or more plants and then replant the second
plant somewhere else? Is timing important or can I do it now.

It's a good time [1]. Fall is actually a better time, but a bit more
difficult because the foilage is large. In the spring, when they're just
emerging, the foilage is out of the way. If it's early enough (you don't
state your location), and only the first set of leaves has hardened off
(and the second set is beginning to appear, you won't have any new roots to
worry about. Soaking the ground all around the plant will make the soil
much more pliable and forgiving on the pulling roots.

Lift them out with a fork, rather than a shovel (starting well out from the
base -- at least a foot if it's a large hosta). The roots grow from the
tip, so if you damage or sever one of the long roots, it won't branch as
other perennial roots do. The less damage you do, the easier on the plant,
and the quicker it will recover. =)

Once you have the clump out of the ground, place it on the ground and rinse
the soil off. This will make it much easier to see the natural divisions.
Gently spread the roots out, and with a sharp knife cut the crown in half
(or thirds), staying along the natural divisions as much as possible. Just
try to cut only the crown, and not damage the roots. You may be able to cut
half-way through the crown, and pry the rest apart with your hands. If you
can't pull them apart, cut a little deeper and try again.

Plant them as soon as possible to prevent the roots from drying out. Plant
them at their original level (or slightly higher) in the soil. Water them
in, well.

The above method is more time-consuming, but will result in better looking
plants /this/ season, than simply plunging a sharp spade through the center
of the crown. That will work, but it may be next year before the plant
looks it's best again.

[1]. This is probably more a decision based on aesthetics. At the end of
the growing season, when they're already looking like crap, it doesn't
matter as much if they're a bit stressed. They'll go dormant anyway. The
drawback to doing it at that time is you need to be careful of the weather.
The divisions will still need to be kept fairly wet, and a local drought
could screw that all up. The plus to doing it about a month before your
first frost is that that is the time they're putting on more rapid root
growth.

So, you see, there's good and bad about dividing them, no matter the
season. If you're careful, and think about what's actually happening with
and around the plant, you'll probably do just fine. =)

HTH,
--

Eggs

-How long a minute is depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Kurt Ullman said:

We have some some Hostas that have gone past big into gargantuan. Can
we separate these into two or more plants and then replant the second
plant somewhere else? Is timing important or can I do it now.

It's a good time [1]. Fall is actually a better time, but a bit more
difficult because the foilage is large. In the spring, when they're just
emerging, the foilage is out of the way. If it's early enough (you don't
state your location), and only the first set of leaves has hardened off
(and the second set is beginning to appear, you won't have any new roots to
worry about. Soaking the ground all around the plant will make the soil
much more pliable and forgiving on the pulling roots.

Central Indiana. They are largely just beginning to peak through
the mulch.

The above method is more time-consuming, but will result in better looking
plants /this/ season, than simply plunging a sharp spade through the center
of the crown. That will work, but it may be next year before the plant
looks it's best again.

Thanks. We are looking to fill in some plants at our tree line with
the neighboring farm field , hostas are shade tolerant and getting too
big. Two birds as it were.

Planting Hostas bthache Gardening 6 07-06-2003 04:21 AM
Hostas in the pond Gilbert United Kingdom 5 13-05-2003 12:08 PM
Hostas Kim Bewick United Kingdom 16 13-04-2003 05:56 PM
Hostas in pots Peter James United Kingdom 1 13-04-2003 11:44 AM
hostas ann Gardening 3 19-03-2003 01:32 AM