Old 23-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Patch

Default Servicing sprinkler systems

Does anyone here winterize their own sprinkler systems. I vowed this year to
learn how do it myself. I have an air-compressor, but I'm not sure what
pressure setting to use. I don't want to blow the sprinkler heads up! When
they first started coming out to winterize it was only $50, now it's up to
$80, who knows what it will be in the future. I have an 8 zone system with
5 outlets on each zone.

Old 25-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Tim Fischer

"Patch" wrote in message
Does anyone here winterize their own sprinkler systems. I vowed this year

learn how do it myself. I have an air-compressor, but I'm not sure what
pressure setting to use. I don't want to blow the sprinkler heads up! When
they first started coming out to winterize it was only $50, now it's up to
$80, who knows what it will be in the future. I have an 8 zone system

with
5 outlets on each zone.

You need low pressure and high volume-- something the standard "at home"
compressor isn't very good at producing.

Do a "google groups" search and you'll find some postings about this topic.
Some have had luck doing it themselves.

-Tim

Old 26-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Folklore

I've been doing my own for about 10 years. I usually run about 40psi.
It takes about 2 blows for each zone. I run through all the zones
once and then run through them all a second time. The typical
scenario is to open the zone until a few seconds after the compressor
kicks in. I wait about 10 - 15 minutes between zones to keep the
compressor from overheating (otherwise it'd be running almost
constantly). Be careful about water blowback into your tank. Either
use a HP check valve or us alot of air hose hanging in a coil.

Good Luck
Old 27-04-2003, 02:09 PM
Folklore

A few more thoughts

- Sometimes the air does not close the anti-siphon valve. If that
happens I can usually knock on mine with my fist a couple of times and
it pops up.

- If you already have some ice in your lines when you blow it (I'm
guilty of waiting too long some years), start off with fairly low
pressure (10psi or something) and then do the 2 higher power blows.

- If you're plumbed for it, don't forget to blow all of your spigots
and hoses out at the same time.

- Be careful who you tell that your plans for the day include a
blow-job.

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:07:54 -0500, Folklore Said:

I've been doing my own for about 10 years. I usually run about 40psi.
It takes about 2 blows for each zone. I run through all the zones
once and then run through them all a second time. The typical
scenario is to open the zone until a few seconds after the compressor
kicks in. I wait about 10 - 15 minutes between zones to keep the
compressor from overheating (otherwise it'd be running almost
constantly). Be careful about water blowback into your tank. Either
use a HP check valve or us alot of air hose hanging in a coil.

Good Luck

How To Build Automatic Lawn Sprinkler Systems Ken Kay Australia 1 24-04-2005 01:43 AM
How To Build Automatic Lawn Sprinkler Systems Ken Kay United Kingdom 1 23-04-2005 10:05 PM
sprinkler systems BigDaDDY Lawns 3 08-01-2004 09:45 PM
AD: I repair lawn sprinkler systems snaylor Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
AD: I repair lawn sprinkler systems snaylor Texas 0 24-02-2003 06:32 PM