Old 23-05-2008, 01:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Where can I find mowers that can mow taller?

I'm looking to buy a self-propelled mulcher mower that can be set to cut
the grass much higher than regular mowers, like maybe 4-5" tall?

Who makes something decent in that?

Old 23-05-2008, 01:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Sarah Houston wrote:
I'm looking to buy a self-propelled mulcher mower that can be set to
cut the grass much higher than regular mowers, like maybe 4-5" tall?

Who makes something decent in that?

Jonh Deere makes some walk-behind mowers that will cut
up to 4 inches tall.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCa...ers_steel.html

Old 23-05-2008, 05:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Sarah Houston" wrote in message
. 97.142...
I'm looking to buy a self-propelled mulcher mower that can be set to cut
the grass much higher than regular mowers, like maybe 4-5" tall?

Who makes something decent in that?

Have you considered a DR Field and Brush mower ? My neighbor has one and
loves it.

Old 24-05-2008, 01:21 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Claude Hopper (11) 5. ?" wrote in message
Sarah Houston wrote:
I'm looking to buy a self-propelled mulcher mower that can be set to cut
the grass much higher than regular mowers, like maybe 4-5" tall?

Who makes something decent in that?

It would not be difficult to make wheel extenders. All you need is 4
pieces of flat metal of a sufficient gauge with holes for the wheel bolts.
Bolt the extenders to the frame and lower the wheel where you want them.
Just don't let the cat or dog run under there while you are mowing.

--
Claude Hopper

Good thinking - I guess larger wheels might work also on some machines.

Old 24-05-2008, 02:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 23, 7:30*am, Claude Hopper (11) 5. ?
wrote:

Just don't let the cat or dog run under there while you are
mowing.

Or your foot when you're pulling it backwards.

Red

Old 24-05-2008, 06:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Mark Jones" wrote :

Sarah Houston wrote:
I'm looking to buy a self-propelled mulcher mower that can be set to
cut the grass much higher than regular mowers, like maybe 4-5" tall?

Who makes something decent in that?

Jonh Deere makes some walk-behind mowers that will cut
up to 4 inches tall.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCa...ush_mowers_ste
el.html

Interesting, thanks. Looks like it has a mulcher mode too, which I use.

Old 24-05-2008, 06:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote :

"Sarah Houston" wrote in message
. 97.142...
I'm looking to buy a self-propelled mulcher mower that can be set to
cut the grass much higher than regular mowers, like maybe 4-5" tall?

Who makes something decent in that?

Have you considered a DR Field and Brush mower ? My neighbor has one
and loves it.

Bit pricy for me, especially for just a 11000 sq ft lot with about 7000 sq
ft of lawn.

Old 24-05-2008, 06:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? wrote :

Sarah Houston wrote:
I'm looking to buy a self-propelled mulcher mower that can be set to
cut the grass much higher than regular mowers, like maybe 4-5" tall?

Who makes something decent in that?

It would not be difficult to make wheel extenders. All you need is 4
pieces of flat metal of a sufficient gauge with holes for the wheel
bolts. Bolt the extenders to the frame and lower the wheel where you
want them. Just don't let the cat or dog run under there while you
are mowing.

My main concern is not losing the drive while doing that. To keep the
front wheel drive, I need to just rotate the front wheels down past the
stops, as far as they can go, then find a way to fix them that way.

May have to drill holes in the frame and bolt them.

Old 24-05-2008, 06:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote :

"Claude Hopper (11) 5. ?" wrote in
message ...
Sarah Houston wrote:
I'm looking to buy a self-propelled mulcher mower that can be set
to cut the grass much higher than regular mowers, like maybe 4-5"
tall?

Who makes something decent in that?

It would not be difficult to make wheel extenders. All you need is 4
pieces of flat metal of a sufficient gauge with holes for the wheel
bolts. Bolt the extenders to the frame and lower the wheel where you
want them. Just don't let the cat or dog run under there while you
are mowing.

--
Claude Hopper

Good thinking - I guess larger wheels might work also on some
machines.

Unfortunately not on this one, they would hit the frame.

Old 26-05-2008, 09:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Claude Hopper (11) 5. ? wrote :

Sarah Houston wrote:
I'm looking to buy a self-propelled mulcher mower that can be set to
cut the grass much higher than regular mowers, like maybe 4-5" tall?

Who makes something decent in that?

It would not be difficult to make wheel extenders. All you need is 4
pieces of flat metal of a sufficient gauge with holes for the wheel
bolts. Bolt the extenders to the frame and lower the wheel where you
want them. Just don't let the cat or dog run under there while you
are mowing.

My main concern is not losing the drive while doing that. To keep the
front wheel drive, I need to just rotate the front wheels down past the
stops, as far as they can go, then find a way to fix them that way.

May have to drill holes in the frame and bolt them.

On my snapper, I adjust the wheels past the last stop, then run a rubber strap
under the axle, attached to the frame to hold it up against the adjustment
plate.

Where can I find mowers that can mow taller? Sarah Houston Gardening 3 24-05-2008 03:41 PM
Mow, mow, mow Srgnt Billko Lawns 3 19-05-2007 05:10 AM
spinach standing taller--bolting? DigitalVinyl Gardening 3 09-06-2005 02:42 AM
Looking for a taller, cascading annual Polly Purebred Gardening 5 22-04-2005 08:21 PM
To mow or not to mow snafu Gardening 9 26-09-2004 02:05 PM