Old 25-05-2008, 11:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Mower wheels

I was looking at my mower and actually may be able to raise the height by
changing the front wheels, at least.

The back ones may adjust down low enough.

With the front ones, I measured the outside of the bolt threads with a
caliper and got about .33" diameter to the outside of the threads.

What is that, about 5/16"?

The present wheel is about 8" outside diameter, so if I can get one that's
10" OD, it will raise the height by 1".

Where do you find these things?
Old 25-05-2008, 11:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Sarah Houston" wrote in message
. 97.142...
I was looking at my mower and actually may be able to raise the height by
changing the front wheels, at least.

The back ones may adjust down low enough.

With the front ones, I measured the outside of the bolt threads with a
caliper and got about .33" diameter to the outside of the threads.

What is that, about 5/16"?

The present wheel is about 8" outside diameter, so if I can get one that's
10" OD, it will raise the height by 1".

Where do you find these things?

A place like Tractor Supply Co. if there is one by you - some Walmarts -
some hardware stores.

I think you have to do more measuring. 5/16 (.312) (or even 3/8, .375)
is very small for the shaft part that the wheel rotates on. Typically these
are "shoulder" bolts - the shaft part being larger than the threaded part -
maybe 1/2" or 5/8". It is the shaft part where the wheel rotates that you
need to be concerned with. That determines the hole size of the wheel you
will be shoppiing for.

Old 26-05-2008, 02:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 5/25/2008 6:12 PM Sarah Houston said the following:
I was looking at my mower and actually may be able to raise the height by
changing the front wheels, at least.

The back ones may adjust down low enough.

With the front ones, I measured the outside of the bolt threads with a
caliper and got about .33" diameter to the outside of the threads.

What is that, about 5/16"?

The present wheel is about 8" outside diameter, so if I can get one that's
10" OD, it will raise the height by 1".

Where do you find these things?

Big box stores, garden supply stores, some hardware stores.
Take the bolt with you when you go to find the right wheel.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 28-05-2008, 04:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Sarah Houston wrote:
I was looking at my mower and actually may be able to raise the height by
changing the front wheels, at least.

The back ones may adjust down low enough.

With the front ones, I measured the outside of the bolt threads with a
caliper and got about .33" diameter to the outside of the threads.

What is that, about 5/16"?

The present wheel is about 8" outside diameter, so if I can get one that's
10" OD, it will raise the height by 1".

Where do you find these things?

It is probably a 1/2 or 5/8 shoulder bolt with a 3/8 threaded end.

Why not try putting the current wheel and bolt through one of the other
holes in the deck? Move down in the deck to raise the cutting height and
up in the deck to lower it.
Old 29-05-2008, 07:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Husky wrote :

Sarah Houston wrote:
I was looking at my mower and actually may be able to raise the
height by changing the front wheels, at least.

The back ones may adjust down low enough.

With the front ones, I measured the outside of the bolt threads with
a caliper and got about .33" diameter to the outside of the threads.

What is that, about 5/16"?

The present wheel is about 8" outside diameter, so if I can get one
that's 10" OD, it will raise the height by 1".

Where do you find these things?

It is probably a 1/2 or 5/8 shoulder bolt with a 3/8 threaded end.

Why not try putting the current wheel and bolt through one of the
other holes in the deck? Move down in the deck to raise the cutting
height and up in the deck to lower it.

As it happens, I found some holes that were already there and moved the
adjusting tabs down to them and used 1/4"-20 bolts and nylocks to hold
them there.

My mower now sits at about 4" above ground level and the front wheel
drive still works.

Whew.