GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When should I mow new turf? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/175605-when-should-i-mow-new-turf.html)

Molotovjack 07-06-2008 06:28 PM

When should I mow new turf?

We had a new turf lawn laid just two weeks ago (3rd weekend in May). The wrong time of the year probably but it couldn't be helped.

The grass is getting a bit long and we're conscious of the need to cut it to help the new lawn and stimulate growth but we've been told that we need to stay off of it for about 7 weeks. What's the next step? When can we safely mow the lawn without damaging it? We've consulted some books and there is no clear advice.

Thanks,

EXT 09-06-2008 07:18 PM

When should I mow new turf?

Check if the sod/turf pieces are rooted down, if they are not solidly
rooted, the mower will lift and shred the sod. I don't think you have given
it enough time yet. When you do cut it, do it carefully, if your mower
allows it, cut the speed of the engine and mow slowly taking small swipes
each time to reduce the chance the blade will catch on some poorly rooted
areas.

"Molotovjack" wrote in message

We had a new turf lawn laid just two weeks ago (3rd weekend in May). The
wrong time of the year probably but it couldn't be helped.

The grass is getting a bit long and we're conscious of the need to cut
it to help the new lawn and stimulate growth but we've been told that
we need to stay off of it for about 7 weeks. What's the next step? When
can we safely mow the lawn without damaging it? We've consulted some
books and there is no clear advice.

Thanks,

Molotovjack

Helen R 09-06-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molotovjack (Post 796901)
We had a new turf lawn laid just two weeks ago (3rd weekend in May). The wrong time of the year probably but it couldn't be helped.

The grass is getting a bit long and we're conscious of the need to cut it to help the new lawn and stimulate growth but we've been told that we need to stay off of it for about 7 weeks. What's the next step? When can we safely mow the lawn without damaging it? We've consulted some books and there is no clear advice.

Thanks,

If it needs mowing and you can do so without the turf lifting then mow it on a relatively high setting, taking no more than a third off the sward. Depending where you are it should be starting to establish now. A cylinder mower is better than a rotary for newly laid turf.

There's some more advice about mowing on our website here.

Art 09-06-2008 11:34 PM

When should I mow new turf?

EXT wrote:
Check if the sod/turf pieces are rooted down, if they are not solidly
rooted, the mower will lift and shred the sod.

Just what kind of mower has that much vacuum?

--
Art

Jim 10-06-2008 12:19 AM

When should I mow new turf?

Art wrote:

EXT wrote:
Check if the sod/turf pieces are rooted down, if they are not solidly
rooted, the mower will lift and shred the sod.

Just what kind of mower has that much vacuum?

that'd be the JimBob special. taking a B&S 6hp and ripping that
plastic crap carburetor off and replacing it with one of the metal
ones salvaged from the bone yard with both screw adjustments
available I can achieve 3800 to 4200 hundred RPM. then add a high
lift blade and you got some vacuum.

yep, fire one of these up in a neighborhood filled with girlie guys
and you can generate 15 calls to 911 in less than 3 minutes, unless
they're all out at sears shopping...

:)

Art 10-06-2008 01:54 AM

When should I mow new turf?

Jim wrote:
Art wrote:
EXT wrote:
Check if the sod/turf pieces are rooted down, if they are not solidly
rooted, the mower will lift and shred the sod.

Just what kind of mower has that much vacuum?

that'd be the JimBob special. taking a B&S 6hp and ripping that
plastic crap carburetor off and replacing it with one of the metal
ones salvaged from the bone yard with both screw adjustments
available I can achieve 3800 to 4200 hundred RPM. then add a high
lift blade and you got some vacuum.

yep, fire one of these up in a neighborhood filled with girlie guys
and you can generate 15 calls to 911 in less than 3 minutes, unless
they're all out at sears shopping...

:)

With a chute from a snowthrower to just blow the stuff into the next
county, right? Why mess with a bag...

--
Art

EXT 10-06-2008 03:29 AM

When should I mow new turf?

A mower with a high lift blade(s) that gather the cuttings in a bag will
create vacuum. However, it doesn't take vacuum to lift sod that isn't well
rooted. All it takes is the cutting action through the blades of grass at a
corner of the sod piece to pull the corner up into the blades, the blades
will take over from there and shred the sod spewing dirt, roots and grass
out the side.

How do I know? The town sodded the sides of my driveway when then changed a
culvert, after a few weeks I ran my mower over the sod and ripped out a
couple of pieces. Made a mess and the town doesn't come back to replace it.

Marquis 10-06-2008 11:53 PM

The only reason it's not recommended to turf this time of year is that the turf can dry out very easily. If it's sunny soak it every day for 2-3 weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 797454)
Art wrote:

Eggs Zachtly 12-06-2008 10:59 PM

When should I mow new turf?

EXT said:

A mower with a high lift blade(s) that gather the cuttings in a bag will
create vacuum. However, it doesn't take vacuum to lift sod that isn't well
rooted. All it takes is the cutting action through the blades of grass at a
corner of the sod piece to pull the corner up into the blades, the blades
will take over from there and shred the sod spewing dirt, roots and grass
out the side.

How do I know? The town sodded the sides of my driveway when then changed a
culvert, after a few weeks I ran my mower over the sod and ripped out a
couple of pieces. Made a mess and the town doesn't come back to replace it.

Why should they? They didn't screw it up, you did.

--

Eggs

-Two cows standing next to each other in a field, Daisy says to Dolly "I
was artificially inseminated this morning."
"I don't believe you," said Dolly. "It's true, no bull!" exclaimed Daisy.

Spares2you 28-02-2011 12:34 PM

Well, ''stay off the lawn for 7 weeks'' is a fair enough advice for me...