GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When to Replace Tomato Plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/175617-when-replace-tomato-plants.html)

Moe Jones 07-06-2008 04:16 PM

When to Replace Tomato Plants

I am growing tomato plants in containers and have a question for you all.
When the plant stops producing tomatoes and the plant is still green, is it
wise to pull out the plant and start with a new plant?

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

[email protected] 07-06-2008 06:53 PM

When to Replace Tomato Plants

It depends upon whether the tomato vine is determinate (fruits ripen
basically all at one time) or INdeterminate (the vine
produces fruit throughout the entire growing season). This should answer
your question. As to which type you have, refer to the seed packet,
otherwise just wait and see.

Tom J 07-06-2008 07:53 PM

Moe Jones wrote:
I am growing tomato plants in containers and have a question for you
all. When the plant stops producing tomatoes and the plant is still
green, is it wise to pull out the plant and start with a new plant?

No need to buy new plants!! There are shoots growing off the side of
the main stem of your plant. Cut one of these and put in water until
roots form then transplant to a container.

Now, to the stop producing and still green. If the plant is still
blooming but not setting tomatoes, the #1 cause is hot weather. It's
in the 90's & my plants haven't set new fruit in 2 weeks now.

Tom J

piterritz 16-04-2011 11:49 AM

One of the aboriginal things that you wish to do is to acquisition a ample collapsed array of alembic to activate the seedlings. You can assignment several baby holes in the basal of the alembic for drainage. This way the seedlings do not become clammy and advance basis rot.