Old 14-06-2008, 07:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Getting rid of a mole

Hi all - I haven't tried to poison this damned thing, but I have tried
one of the mole guillotines to no avail. A friend at work suggested used
kitty litter sprinkled around tunnel entrances- apparently the cat urine
scares moles away. Sounds logical to me, but before I subject myself to
a litter box, I'd like your opinion. TIA.
Old 14-06-2008, 08:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 14, 10:34*am, Shanghai McCoy wrote:
Hi all - I haven't tried to poison this damned thing, but I have tried
one of the mole guillotines to no avail. A friend at work suggested used
kitty litter sprinkled around tunnel entrances- apparently the cat urine
scares moles away. Sounds logical to me, but before I subject myself to
a litter box, I'd like your opinion. TIA.

I had a serious problem with these monsters and tried everything from
"green" solutions or noxious chemicals--nothing worked. What finally
worked--now this is barbaric but it worked--CATS! I had two indoor
cats that were accidentally demoted to outdoor cats because they were
peeing on everything--long story. After about a week or two later, I
started seeing dead gophers and moles on my porch, lawn and backyard--
gifts?

It's barbaric, a little impractical for some folks but they are
finally gone.
Old 14-06-2008, 09:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

kill them . only way to get rid of them.

Old 15-06-2008, 07:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

nightrider.36 wrote:
[...]

Barbaric's ok, but it's impractical for my 16 year old cat... I'm pretty
sure a mole is quicker than she.... did you try the used litter 'trick',
or have you heard of it?
Old 15-06-2008, 08:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 14, 10:25*pm, Shanghai McCoy wrote:
nightrider.36 wrote:
[...]

yes, that was one of my "green" solutions. What I've heard work
fairly well are something called SONIC SPIKES. I have a friend who
tried these on his lawn and he claims that they worked. I'd rather use
that than see rodent parts all over my yard.

Interestingly, I read about a guy in the UK, a roboticist, who built
tiny robots--crawlers and threw them down the holes. The little robots
would go in the holes and emit a high-frequency sound in the holes. I
don't know if those worked but he did get rid of them.

And another guy in Germa ny who shoved steel rods into all the gopher
holes, linked the rods to the city grid, powered them on and didn't
realize that he was standing on wet grass--that was his last idea. He
didn't get rid of them but at least he doesn't see them anymore.

There are so many ideas... good luck.

Old 15-06-2008, 08:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

nightrider.36 wrote:
[...]

I've already tried the 'sonic spikes', as a matter of fact, I now need a
metal detector to find them in the yard. Oh well, I'll keep fishing for
ideas. In a similar vein to your steel rods story, my dad got tired of
squirrels eating the food from his bird feeder, and after various
unsuccessful attempts at keeping them off the feeder, he wired it. I got
to see a squirrel fly about 10 feet when dad plugged it in one morning.
Very big coffee spew. It worked beautifully until SWMBO found the buried
wire and made him disassemble the rig...
Old 17-06-2008, 01:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I thought about something similar but I was afraid that I'd end like
the guy in Germany. SWMBO would have made me disassemble it as well.

nightrider.36 wrote:
[...]

wire and made him disassemble the rig...- Hide quoted text -

Old 17-06-2008, 02:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 6/14/2008 1:34 PM Shanghai McCoy said the following:
Hi all - I haven't tried to poison this damned thing, but I have tried
one of the mole guillotines to no avail. A friend at work suggested
used kitty litter sprinkled around tunnel entrances- apparently the
cat urine scares moles away. Sounds logical to me, but before I
subject myself to a litter box, I'd like your opinion. TIA.

http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question...3182228AADzz2c
:-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 17-06-2008, 03:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

willshak wrote:
on 6/14/2008 1:34 PM Shanghai McCoy said the following:
Hi all - I haven't tried to poison this damned thing, but I have tried
one of the mole guillotines to no avail. A friend at work suggested
used kitty litter sprinkled around tunnel entrances- apparently the
cat urine scares moles away. Sounds logical to me, but before I
subject myself to a litter box, I'd like your opinion. TIA.

http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question...3182228AADzz2c
:-)

Thanks Willshak.. after I catch the little *******, I'll check the mole
for warts...
Old 20-06-2008, 01:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Shanghai McCoy" wrote in message
news
Hi all - I haven't tried to poison this damned thing, but I have tried one
of the mole guillotines to no avail. A friend at work suggested used kitty
litter sprinkled around tunnel entrances- apparently the cat urine scares
moles away. Sounds logical to me, but before I subject myself to a litter
box, I'd like your opinion. TIA.

You need a Cat. We have two outdoor kitties, and they are freaking
RUTHLESS. I have ZERO problems with moles, gophers, or rabbits. They kill
everything in sight. The downside is I'm stuck cleaning up the bloody
gut-pyles that they leave for me by the garage door. It's a fair trade.
:-)

Old 20-06-2008, 02:53 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

In article , J.A. Michel says...

"Shanghai McCoy" wrote in message
news
Hi all - I haven't tried to poison this damned thing, but I have tried one
of the mole guillotines to no avail. A friend at work suggested used kitty
litter sprinkled around tunnel entrances- apparently the cat urine scares
moles away. Sounds logical to me, but before I subject myself to a litter
box, I'd like your opinion. TIA.

You need a Cat. We have two outdoor kitties, and they are freaking
RUTHLESS. I have ZERO problems with moles, gophers, or rabbits. They kill
everything in sight. The downside is I'm stuck cleaning up the bloody
gut-pyles that they leave for me by the garage door. It's a fair trade.
:-)

I normally would suggest a gopher "bomb" but when I used one three weeks ago,
the still-alive-gopher had actually pushed the spent cartridge completely out of
the hole the following morning. I've used these bombs for years with varying
degrees of success but this is the first time I've had this happen.

twitch

Old 20-06-2008, 03:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Twitchell" wrote in message
In article , J.A. Michel says...

I normally would suggest a gopher "bomb" but when I used one three weeks

ago,
the still-alive-gopher had actually pushed the spent cartridge completely

out of
the hole the following morning. I've used these bombs for years with

varying
degrees of success but this is the first time I've had this happen.

Be careful with "Gopher Gassers". Years ago I was using them. They
weren't working very well and I decided to stuff a ball of crumpled
newspaper in the holes after throwing in a cartridge. That worked better
but the last time(!), the cartridge didn't go in very far and the newspaper
blew out. There were some burning embers which I stomped on to put out,
but the fire spread. Then I got the rake and tried to get rid of the leaves
that were catching on fire. Then, a friend showed up and tried to pull the
garden hose over but it must have been kinked because no water came out.
The fire was spreading and I called the Fire Department. You haven't lived
until you watch your neighbor's family line up next to their pool looking at
the fire in the woods behind their place. The FD put out the fire and hosed
down all the dried leaves. They asked me how it happend and I explained.
He said he had never heard that excuse before and I got the feeling I was
getting off without a fine. He dumped 200 gallons of the remaining water
down the gopher hole. The criters didn't show up for a month, but they did
return.

Old 21-06-2008, 02:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Stubby wrote:
"Twitchell" wrote in message
In article , J.A. Michel says...

[...]

I bet the fire scare them away.

--
Art
Old 21-06-2008, 03:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Shanghai McCoy blurted out in alt.home.lawn.garden:

Hi all - I haven't tried to poison this damned thing, but I have tried
one of the mole guillotines to no avail. A friend at work suggested used
kitty litter sprinkled around tunnel entrances- apparently the cat urine
scares moles away. Sounds logical to me, but before I subject myself to
a litter box, I'd like your opinion. TIA.

Call a professional to come set some traps.
I've had mole problems for yrs (because my neighbor has a grub farm going in
his yard). Even though I put down Grub-X twice a yr.
Traps got 3 moles in little over a week.

Most pro's make you sign a contract that has them coming once a week to check
or move the traps. THis contract costs X dollars. Then you pay per mole
caught.

It was well worth it for me.

Old 21-06-2008, 03:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

nightrider.36 blurted out in alt.home.lawn.garden:

nightrider.36 wrote:
[...]

I tried those sonic spikes a couple yrs ago and they work fine for about a
month and then the moles get used to them. Trapping is the only way to get
rid of moles.

newbie can't get rid off mole disway Lawns 3 04-09-2003 09:16 PM
Getting Rid of Thrips Shiva Roses 8 08-04-2003 03:32 PM
Getting rid of ivy Karen C Australia 3 05-04-2003 07:34 AM
getting rid of vines Elizabeth Jones Gardening 2 19-03-2003 04:44 PM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 07:03 PM