Old 17-06-2008, 06:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Weed identity and means of killing needed for newbie to group

Can anyone ID the weed in this link? I've got this stuff all over the yard and
am desperate to get rid of it.

http://imgplace.com/image/view/41256...fe6bb4a4c05a64

I really need to know what weed killer to use without killing everything else.
Also, anyone have any links to websites that have pictures of lawn weeds (I
emphasize the word pictures as most of them just use the latin names).

thanks

twitch

Old 17-06-2008, 07:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 17, 11:53*am, Twitchell wrote:
Can anyone ID the weed in this link? *I've got this stuff all over the yard and
am desperate to get rid of it.

http://imgplace.com/image/view/41256...fe6bb4a4c05a64

I really need to know what weed killer to use without killing everything else.
Also, anyone have any links to websites that have pictures of lawn weeds (I
emphasize the word pictures as most of them just use the latin names).

thanks

twitch

That looks like Dallisgrass to me. You can put some Bayer Advanced™
All-In-One Weed Killer for Lawns on it.
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product...ncentrate.html

I haven't had much luck with this product though. I usually dig a
clump of dallis grass up when it appears in my lawn.

I think this is a cool site for identifying weeds. I don't know how
comprehensive it is though.

http://whizlab.isis.vt.edu/servlet/wid?table=grasses

good luck
-jack

Old 17-06-2008, 08:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

In article ,
Jack Sprat says...

On Jun 17, 11:53=A0am, Twitchell wrote:
Can anyone ID the weed in this link? =A0I've got this stuff all over the y=

ard and
am desperate to get rid of it.

http://imgplace.com/image/view/41256...fe6bb4a4c05a64

I really need to know what weed killer to use without killing everything e=

lse.
Also, anyone have any links to websites that have pictures of lawn weeds (=

emphasize the word pictures as most of them just use the latin names).

thanks

twitch

That looks like Dallisgrass to me. You can put some Bayer Advanced=99
All-In-One Weed Killer for Lawns on it.
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product...-Lawns/concen=
trate.html

I haven't had much luck with this product though. I usually dig a
clump of dallis grass up when it appears in my lawn.

I think this is a cool site for identifying weeds. I don't know how
comprehensive it is though.

http://whizlab.isis.vt.edu/servlet/wid?table=3Dgrasses

good luck
-jack

Dallisgrass it is! Thanks! Now, unfortunately, your weed website doesn't
advise on what weedkillers to use but as I've already got Bayer Advanced, I'll
try it.

I have another one with yellow flowers:

http://imgplace.com/image/view/be83f...78af20ed9c7a0c

It's driving me nuts as it can't be called 'broadleaf'. Any ideas?

thanks

twitch

Old 18-06-2008, 09:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 17, 9:53 am, Twitchell wrote:
Can anyone ID the weed in this link? I've got this stuff all over the yard and
am desperate to get rid of it.

http://imgplace.com/image/view/41256...fe6bb4a4c05a64

I really need to know what weed killer to use without killing everything else.
Also, anyone have any links to websites that have pictures of lawn weeds (I
emphasize the word pictures as most of them just use the latin names).

thanks

twitch

I haven't been successful removing dallisgrass using weed killers. I
usually have to dig or hoe them out. I have a weed removal tool that
pulls these things out pretty quickly. If it's a huge clump, I remove
it and throw a piece of tall fascue sod on it.
Old 18-06-2008, 01:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Twitchell said:

I have another one with yellow flowers:

http://imgplace.com/image/view/be83f...78af20ed9c7a0c

It's driving me nuts as it can't be called 'broadleaf'. Any ideas?

It looks like rather wilted black medic. Or maybe hop clover. (I think I
can see some rolled leaves at various places in the photo.) It can creep
through the grass under mower height.

Anyway, that's my best guess. I used to have some in my lawn, which
I hand-pulled. This involved finding the sprouting point and unweaving
long runners from the grass.

Still invades occasionally from the neighbor's lawn.

(He mows too short, with a dull blade, and cuts off too much at once,
giving a dramatic illustration of how the most important part of of lawn
maintainence is proper mowing.)

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 18-06-2008, 02:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 18, 3:36*am, "nightrider.36" wrote:
On Jun 17, 9:53 am, Twitchell wrote:

Can anyone ID the weed in this link? *I've got this stuff all over the yard and
am desperate to get rid of it.

http://imgplace.com/image/view/41256...fe6bb4a4c05a64

I really need to know what weed killer to use without killing everything else.
Also, anyone have any links to websites that have pictures of lawn weeds (I
emphasize the word pictures as most of them just use the latin names).

thanks

twitch

I haven't been successful removing dallisgrass using weed killers. I
usually have to dig or hoe them out. I have a weed removal tool that
pulls these things out pretty quickly. *If it's a huge clump, I remove
it and throw a piece of tall fascue sod on it.

Are you talking about using a selective herbicide or a non-selective
one, like Roundup? Many grass type weeds do not respond to the
typical broadleaf herbicides, because they are similar to the
desirable grass. And some can't be treated with anything at all
without killing the grass. However, Roundup applied carefully to the
clump of grass followed by overseeding should work and would be less
work than digging them out.
Old 18-06-2008, 05:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

In article , Pat
Kiewicz says...

Twitchell said:

I have another one with yellow flowers:

http://imgplace.com/image/view/be83f...78af20ed9c7a0c

It's driving me nuts as it can't be called 'broadleaf'. Any ideas?

It looks like rather wilted black medic. Or maybe hop clover. (I think I
can see some rolled leaves at various places in the photo.) It can creep
through the grass under mower height.

Ya...I figured black medic. I bought some Spectricide weed killer at Longs
Drugs yesterday for it for $5. It claimed to start getting immediate results,
which it did for the black medic (they turned brown almost immediately). The
dallisgrass turns black on some leaves but not others even though I 'soaked' it.
But that's all so far. The label says dallisgrass is one of the weeds it kills
so I'll wait.....or.....I might just dig them out.

twitch