Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 25-07-2008, 09:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2007
Posts: 9
Default How Long Till Roundup Works?



I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. I sprayed a part of the
fence line. How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? I am
hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a weed-eater to
them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.

Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy that is
growing on a tree. Will that stuff actually kill the Poison Ivy for the
summer?

Thanks!



  #2   Report Post  
Old 26-07-2008, 12:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 165
Default How Long Till Roundup Works?

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:41:12 -0400, "Von Fourche"
wrote:



I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. I sprayed a part of the
fence line. How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? I am
hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a weed-eater to
them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.


Follow the directions.

Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy that is
growing on a tree. Will that stuff actually kill the Poison Ivy for the
summer?


No! It might require other measures for eradication.

  #3   Report Post  
Old 26-07-2008, 02:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 432
Default How Long Till Roundup Works?

On Jul 25, 6:10*pm, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:41:12 -0400, "Von Fourche"

wrote:

* *I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. *I sprayed a part of the
fence line. *How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? *I am
hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a weed-eater to
them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.


You should see signs of wilting in 24 to 48 hours, then they should be
dead in about a week. It's highly dependent on temps. Those times
are for70 to 80. If it's 45 deg, it can take much longer and isn't as
effective.





Follow the directions.

Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy that is
growing on a tree. *Will that stuff actually kill the Poison Ivy for the
summer?


It depends on how large the plant is. For larger vines, it's most
effective to cut the vine, then treat the leaves on the lower part.
It may require a couple applications.





No! It might require other measures for eradication.


  #4   Report Post  
Old 26-07-2008, 02:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2008
Posts: 6
Default How Long Till Roundup Works?

Von Fourche wrote:

I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. I sprayed a part of the
fence line. How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? I
am hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a
weed-eater to them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.

Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy
that is growing on a tree. Will that stuff actually kill the Poison
Ivy for the summer?


I find Roundup takes 1 - 2 weeks to completely kill the plants it's
going to kill. The ones it won't kill take much longer. :-)

A second application is required for some weeds. The label tells you
how.

The local gardening expert on the radio tells people that "he can't
recommend it", but Roundup can be mixed stronger than instructed. I
can't recommend it, either.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX
  #5   Report Post  
Old 26-07-2008, 02:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 432
Default How Long Till Roundup Works?

On Jul 25, 8:38*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
Von Fourche wrote:
I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. *I sprayed a part of the
fence line. *How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? *I
am hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a
weed-eater to them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.


Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy
that is growing on a tree. *Will that stuff actually kill the Poison
Ivy for the summer?


I find Roundup takes 1 - 2 weeks to completely kill the plants it's
going to kill. The ones it won't kill take much longer. :-)

A second application is required for some weeds. The label tells you
how.

The local gardening expert on the radio tells people that "he can't
recommend it", but Roundup can be mixed stronger than instructed. I
can't recommend it, either.



I don't know why he says he can't recommend it. Right on the label
for the concentrate it has a wide range of concentrations you can mix
it to, from 1% to at least 6%, maybe even 10%, not sure since I don't
have one here in front of me. The recommended concentration depends
on what the target plant is

Which does bring up another factor. At higher concentrations it will
tend to not only kill more hardy plants, but also achieve kill
somewhat faster. At cold temps, I use a higher concentration.





--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX




  #6   Report Post  
Old 26-07-2008, 03:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2008
Posts: 6
Default How Long Till Roundup Works?

wrote:

On Jul 25, 8:38*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
Von Fourche wrote:
I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. *I sprayed a part of
the fence line. *How many days does it take for it to kill the
weeds? *I am hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I
would take a weed-eater to them in a week or two after Roundup
does its job.


Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy
that is growing on a tree. *Will that stuff actually kill the
Poison Ivy for the summer?


I find Roundup takes 1 - 2 weeks to completely kill the plants it's
going to kill. The ones it won't kill take much longer. :-)

A second application is required for some weeds. The label tells you
how.

The local gardening expert on the radio tells people that "he can't
recommend it", but Roundup can be mixed stronger than instructed. I
can't recommend it, either.


I don't know why he says he can't recommend it. Right on the label
for the concentrate it has a wide range of concentrations you can mix
it to, from 1% to at least 6%, maybe even 10%, not sure since I don't
have one here in front of me. The recommended concentration depends
on what the target plant is

Which does bring up another factor. At higher concentrations it will
tend to not only kill more hardy plants, but also achieve kill
somewhat faster. At cold temps, I use a higher concentration.


The disclaimer is because he's speculating about (not recommending)
off-label uses. Things like applying it at 100% to tree stumps, or at
50% using a cotton glove to wipe it on to stubborn weeds.

From my reading of the label, it's illegal to use it in non-approved
ways, and by extension illegal to recommend that others do so,
especially if you're a licensed professional.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX
  #8   Report Post  
Old 29-07-2008, 08:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2007
Posts: 205
Default How Long Till Roundup Works?

On Jul 25, 3:41*pm, "Von Fourche" wrote:
* * I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. *I sprayed a part of the
fence line. *How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? *I am
hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a weed-eater to
them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.

*Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy that is
growing on a tree. *Will that stuff actually kill the Poison Ivy for the
summer?

Thanks!


i used it on a semi-abandoned patch of assorted weeds; some were
wilted the next day, some held out for a week or more and finally just
sort of faded away.
  #9   Report Post  
Old 31-07-2008, 02:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 79
Default How Long Till Roundup Works?

On Jul 25, 2:41*pm, "Von Fourche" wrote:
* * I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. *I sprayed a part of the
fence line. *How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? *I am
hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a weed-eater to
them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.

*Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy that is
growing on a tree. *Will that stuff actually kill the Poison Ivy for the
summer?

Thanks!


I have been using Roundup for the past 15+ years and buy it in 2.5gal
jugs. Here's my experience with it: The original Roundup, mixed with
a surfactant at the time of use, worked great. Let the mix sit for a
week or more before using it greatly reduced it's killing power
(chemical reaction?). Then Roundup got the idea of premixing the
surfactant at bottling (new & improved). Same problem in reduced
killing power. Roundup increased the concentration % (new & improved
#2) to try to solve the problem. Better, but still not as good as the
original. Of course every change they made increased the price while
keeping the effectiveness reduced. Some companies just got to screw
with a good thing! Remember Coke trying it?

Now I buy generic without surfactant if I can find it.

KC
  #10   Report Post  
Old 31-07-2008, 03:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 282
Default How Long Till Roundup Works?

KC wrote:

[....]

I have been using Roundup for the past 15+ years and buy it in 2.5gal
jugs. Here's my experience with it: The original Roundup, mixed with
a surfactant at the time of use, worked great. Let the mix sit for a
week or more before using it greatly reduced it's killing power
(chemical reaction?). Then Roundup got the idea of premixing the
surfactant at bottling (new & improved). Same problem in reduced
killing power. Roundup increased the concentration % (new & improved
#2) to try to solve the problem. Better, but still not as good as the
original. Of course every change they made increased the price while
keeping the effectiveness reduced. Some companies just got to screw
with a good thing! Remember Coke trying it?

Now I buy generic without surfactant if I can find it.

KC


just a few drops of liquid soap added to the tank mix causes
the mix to clink better to the applied plant.

just a few drops or you'll have a foaming mess.
old style lemon Joy works best with no adverse reduction
in killing power.


  #11   Report Post  
Old 31-07-2008, 04:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 79
Default How Long Till Roundup Works?

On Jul 30, 8:50*pm, Jim wrote:

Now I buy generic without surfactant if I can find it.


KC


just a few drops of liquid soap added to the tank mix causes
the mix to clink better to the applied plant.

just a few drops or you'll have a foaming mess. *
old style lemon Joy works best with no adverse reduction
in killing power.-


I didn't mean to say that I don't use a surfactant, I just find that
it works better if it's added at the time of application. Although
liquid soap works just fine, I use a commercial surfactant. I 'think'
it's probably cheaper in the long run since it's used at 1oz/gal, so
128oz lasts a loooong time.

KC
  #12   Report Post  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2007
Posts: 9
Default How Long Till Roundup Works?


"SteveB" wrote in message
...
Von Fourche wrote:

I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. I sprayed a part of the
fence line. How many days does it take for it to kill the weeds? I
am hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I would take a
weed-eater to them in a week or two after Roundup does its job.

Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy
that is growing on a tree. Will that stuff actually kill the Poison
Ivy for the summer?


I find Roundup takes 1 - 2 weeks to completely kill the plants it's
going to kill. The ones it won't kill take much longer. :-)

A second application is required for some weeds. The label tells you
how.




I saw some Roundup at the local store for around $40.00 I think. Is that
super powerful Roundup or something?

Is the Roundup Poison Ivy killer any different than regular Roundup? I
bought both last week. I sprayed regular Roundup on some of the fence line
and it killed most of the weeks nicely. I sprayed the Poison Ivy killer on
a couple of trees that have Poison Ivy growing on it and the leaves have
wilted and died. I think the Roundup Poison Ivy killer says it is for
Poison Ivy/Oak and tuff weeks/brush.



  #13   Report Post  
Old 02-08-2008, 02:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 47
Default How Long Till Roundup Works?


"Von Fourche" wrote in message I saw some Roundup
at the local store for around $40.00 I think. Is that
super powerful Roundup or something?


Roundup is sold in differant concentrations. Look at the main ingrediant
and see how much is in the containers at differant prices.
Sort of like the antifreeze you get, you can get full strength and cut it
with water or for about the same price you can get some ready to put in your
car. If you get the ready mix , you are paying for about half water at
several dollars per gallon.


  #14   Report Post  
Old 02-08-2008, 03:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 4
Default How Long Till Roundup Works?

Von Fourche wrote:


"SteveB" wrote in message
...
Von Fourche wrote:

I bought some Roundup weed killer yesterday. I sprayed a part of
the fence line. How many days does it take for it to kill the
weeds? I am hoping Roundup would first kill the weeds, then I
would take a weed-eater to them in a week or two after Roundup
does its job.

Also, I bought some Roundup Poison Ivy killer and sprayed some Ivy
that is growing on a tree. Will that stuff actually kill the
Poison Ivy for the summer?


I find Roundup takes 1 - 2 weeks to completely kill the plants it's
going to kill. The ones it won't kill take much longer. :-)

A second application is required for some weeds. The label tells you
how.


I saw some Roundup at the local store for around $40.00 I think. Is
that super powerful Roundup or something?

Is the Roundup Poison Ivy killer any different than regular Roundup?
I bought both last week. I sprayed regular Roundup on some of the
fence line and it killed most of the weeks nicely. I sprayed the
Poison Ivy killer on a couple of trees that have Poison Ivy growing
on it and the leaves have wilted and died. I think the Roundup
Poison Ivy killer says it is for Poison Ivy/Oak and tuff weeks/brush.


Roundup comes in different concentrations. You'll have to check the
label for the difference between regular and poison ivy versions. I
would guess the PI version has extra stuff to make it stick better, a
higher concentration of active ingredient, or both.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
to till or not to till? Ted Shoemaker Gardening 11 30-04-2011 06:41 PM
How long till my apple bushes sprout? DavidPT40 Gardening 15 27-12-2004 08:07 PM
Till/no till Beecrofter Edible Gardening 2 17-05-2004 02:06 AM
Just started CO2 DIY, how long till bubbles? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 20-04-2003 07:21 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017