Old 24-09-2008, 08:53 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Walbro carburetor

I have a lawn tractor with a Briggs and stratton 14.5hp engine. This
has a Walbro LMS carburetor. I put the machine away last week and
it was working fine.
However when I try and start it today although the engine ran
at first it had only enough power to drive the machine along
slowly. Now it just seems to stall when I apply the throttle.
I have tried adjusting the carb with no luck.
Looking into the carb when running it seems to
be giving far too much fuel. I have cleaned out the carb
but didn't make any difference.
There is a solenoid at the bottom of the carb could this
be the problem? I am told the carb was recenty
replaced when I bought the machine.
Old 24-09-2008, 01:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

the solinoid cuts all the fuel flow off if its bad.i suspect the inlet
needle isnt closing ,probably a peice of dirt in it.

Old 25-09-2008, 12:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

wrote:
the solinoid cuts all the fuel flow off if its bad.i suspect the inlet
needle isnt closing ,probably a peice of dirt in it.

No it doesn't. It shuts off the fuel flow up through the main jet to
keep fuel from continuing to enter the engine when you turn the key off
and it is slowing down. Briggs had big problem with fuel entering the
muffler and causing backfires big enough deform and eventually split the
mufflers. This solenoid was their way of trying to fix the problem.

--
Art
Old 26-09-2008, 08:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

my response was correct. but id rather be an idiot than a pompus ass
with no manners.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 26, 2:25*pm, wrote:
*my response was correct. but id rather be an idiot than a pompus ass
with no manners.

----------------------------------------------------------------http://www.minibite.com/america/malone.htm

Its sole purpose is to reduce or eliminate backfireing when you shut
the engine off. Most folks do not even bother to drop engine speed to
idle, and just turn it off. The builtup rpms continue to pull fuel
into thr engines combustion chamber and it ignites from heat buildup
not ignition spark. Since this form of ignition is not dependant on
where the valves are at (open closed etc) its easy to push raw fuel
into the muffler as well and when it does igniote it can bust the
muffler and do other damage to motor as well. You can get my without
a functioning solenoid onthe fuelbowl if you idle down the engine for
a bit before shutting it off. They usually fail in the open position
when they fail and usually play no part in preventing an engine form
operating properly. Briggs is not the only company that has this
issue, its very common more so from engines being run leaner today
than they were years past and to newer design specs and fuel specs.
Kawasaki engines are / were notorious on the JD line of L & G tractors
wth backfiring problems and ruptured mufflers.