Old 24-10-2008, 08:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Dandelions

Hi,

I live in Southern Minnesota, and we've already had two or three light
frosts. Is it too late to spray for dandelions? I'd really like to spray
this fall because I'd like things to look nice for my daughter's graduation
party next spring.

Thank you,

Randy Seys
Mankato, MN

Old 25-10-2008, 01:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Randy Seys wrote:

Is it too late to spray for dandelions?

Weeds need to be actively growing for the weed killer to work. The
colder it is, the less effective the herbicide will be.

For where you are, I think it's too late, by about a month, maybe two.

Save the weed killer for the spring.
Old 25-10-2008, 05:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Lawn Guy wrote:
Randy Seys wrote:

Is it too late to spray for dandelions?

Have you had a -killing- frost yet?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 25-10-2008, 05:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Randy Seys" wrote:
Hi,

I live in Southern Minnesota, and we've already had two or three light
frosts. Is it too late to spray for dandelions? I'd really like to
spray this fall because I'd like things to look nice for my daughter's
graduation party next spring.

Thank you,

Randy Seys
Mankato, MN

Hello Randy,
I'd only guess it's late in the Minnesota growing season for post emergent
turfgrass weed control.

The good news is the dandelions are perhaps the easiest turfgrass weed to
control, even in the spring.

Anything with 24D will wipe them out. (oh that's not PC?)

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 25-10-2008, 01:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Lawn Guy" wrote in message ...
Randy Seys wrote:

Is it too late to spray for dandelions?

Weeds need to be actively growing for the weed killer to work. The
colder it is, the less effective the herbicide will be.

For where you are, I think it's too late, by about a month, maybe two.

Save the weed killer for the spring.

I put on pre-emergent herbicide in the spring and a broadleaf weedkiller in
early summer. That works against crabgrass and dandelions, the two biggest
problems in my lawn.

Old 25-10-2008, 01:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 24, 8:28*pm, Lawn Guy wrote:
Randy Seys wrote:
Is it too late to spray for dandelions? *

Weeds need to be actively growing for the weed killer to work. *The
colder it is, the less effective the herbicide will be.

For where you are, I think it's too late, by about a month, maybe two.

Save the weed killer for the spring.

I agree. Here in NJ I would say yes, but that far north it's
probably not going to be that effective or worth it. The amount of
herbicide and/or the number of applications required goes up as the
temps go down. Even Roundup takes a higher concentration and longer
to kill plants when they are barely growing due to lower temps.
Old 27-10-2008, 05:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Ok, thank you everyone for your help. The temps dropped down to the low 20s
over the weekend, so I guess I'll have to wait for next spring. (That's
eight months from now in Minnesota!!! Lol!)

~Randy

Randy Seys wrote:
Is it too late to spray for dandelions?

Weeds need to be actively growing for the weed killer to work. The
colder it is, the less effective the herbicide will be.

For where you are, I think it's too late, by about a month, maybe two.

Save the weed killer for the spring.

I agree. Here in NJ I would say yes, but that far north it's
probably not going to be that effective or worth it. The amount of
herbicide and/or the number of applications required goes up as the
temps go down. Even Roundup takes a higher concentration and longer
to kill plants when they are barely growing due to lower temps.

"Weed Hound" for Dandelions... some thoughts Brian Gardening 8 07-01-2005 02:27 AM
[IBC] Dandelions as bonsai - was Dormancy for KingswoodYardsai Roger Snipes Bonsai 1 01-11-2003 02:13 AM
Killing Dandelions Andy & Lucinda Lawns 3 21-04-2003 10:56 AM
Dandelions Shadow Gardening 31 03-03-2003 09:51 PM
OT Spring Beauties & Dandelions Nedra Ponds 6 04-02-2003 11:04 PM