Old 18-11-2008, 03:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Which is better for the lawn over the winter?

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:06:49 -0400, willshak
wrote:

If no scientific study available, which is better in your experience or
opinion?
Raking all the leaves off the lawn before winter, or leaving the leaves
where they fell, and under a blanket of snow (see sig for location). If
left on the lawn where they fell, would the nutrients be better released
by melting snow, and also provide a smidgen of insulation for the ground?

You can't leave a blanket of anything on the lawn. It will quickly
suffocate the grass.

I've been mulching grass and in the fall the leaves for years and
years. Contrary to some beliefs expressed in this thread mulching is
fine. As a matter of fact my lawn is thicker and greener than most all
of the lawns in the neighborhood.

When mulching became an option many years ago I chose it. After all
years before that I successfully chose to use direct deposit on my
paycheck and save myself a weekly trip to the bank. Mulching is also
a very time saving direct deposit.
Old 23-11-2008, 05:03 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

[...]

It does depend on your climate, and how many leaves you get to mulch. At some
point, the mulched leaves will suffocate and compost the lawn.