Old 07-11-2008, 02:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Gear driven sprinkler versus impact sprinkler

How do you decide which on to use? Both basically rotates around and spray
water. The gear driven one seems to be quieter and is it more durable?

Also is it ok to use funny pipes to bring water to the gear driven or impact
sprinkler or you need a rigid connection due to the movement?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Old 07-11-2008, 06:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
How do you decide which on to use? Both basically rotates around and
spray water. The gear driven one seems to be quieter and is it more
durable?

Also is it ok to use funny pipes to bring water to the gear driven or
impact sprinkler or you need a rigid connection due to the movement?

Thanks in advance,

MC

I've got both. The impact sprinkler slaps itself out of the ground before
I'm done watering but lays down a better pattern. The geared sprinkler stays
put but doesn't have a good spray pattern. For much of my watering I use a
very cheap spinning sprinkler that has a good pattern and puts out a greater
volume water.
Dunno what you mean by funny pipes. A garden hose works for me.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:40 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
How do you decide which on to use? Both basically rotates around and
spray water. The gear driven one seems to be quieter and is it more
durable?

Also is it ok to use funny pipes to bring water to the gear driven or
impact sprinkler or you need a rigid connection due to the movement?

Thanks in advance,

MC

They both do the same job, the impact does a little better about getting
water close up on the return cycle. I prefer the rotor (gear driven)
because they are quieter. Funny pipe is okay if your soil is heavy or clay.
In sandy soils you may see some movement of the head from the pipe. If you
need to adjust, a swing joint is better than funny pipe, but cost a little
more and is more work.

Dalep

Impact sprinkler Chris[_14_] Gardening 4 07-09-2010 03:51 AM
Tomatoes - Ace versus Early Girl versus ? Dan Musicant Edible Gardening 20 25-03-2010 12:28 PM
Recommendation please - gasoline engine driven leaf blower nospamplse Lawns 7 10-07-2007 03:23 PM
Paphiopedilum niveum - pure as the driven snow Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 1 01-06-2007 10:07 PM
lawmower (petrol driven) Amber United Kingdom 1 27-07-2003 08:43 PM