Old 08-11-2008, 09:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Triming this tree

I hope you can help me.

I have a couple evergreen trees that are close to my property line.

I'm not sure what I have, and I think I need to know to ask advice.

They're not pine, or arbor vitae. I've tried to find them on google
images, and the web, but I don't have enough tree names to search on.
I think they are called fir trees, and they are something like
Christmas trees, but not exactly.

That is, on most of the tree, I can't see the branches at all. They
are totally hidden by the green surface made up of little "leaves",
(not needles) sort of like snowflakes but rounded and not hexagonal.
That's probably clear as mud.

Inside the trees are brown and sort of ugly. They have branches with
strange adhesions, like pieces of bark slightly separated from the
branch, and iirc the trunk is like that too.

They are about 28 years old and about 25 feet tall. Six or seven feet
wide at the widest part, 5 or 6 feet off the ground, one tree
extending about a foot into my n'bor's air space, and the other about
6 inches.

My new neighbor wants me to trim them. Whaddaya think?

I think they'll look ugly if trimmed, especially to him. That the
green part will never grow back and he'll see a brown hole leading all
the way to the trunk. (About 3 years ago, I was distracted by work
and sickness for a month or three, and a weed grew up to about 5 feet
tall, kept the sun from the tree, and the tree "leaves" dropped off
and haven't grown back after 3 years, even though I cut down the weed
3 years ago. One just sees there the lightless dark brown interior of
the tree.

He also says they are too tall. The tallest parts of course are the
narrowest parts, that don't extend above his property. If the top
were cut off, wouldn't it damage the tree a lot. IIRC I saw this once
and the tree didn't grow for 2 or 3 years, but then it sent out a
branch which eventually turned vertical, and it started growing again
but didn't look attractive. No one trims fir trees at the top, do
they?

FWIW, and I'm not saying this changes my duty, but one tree extends
onto his property at a corner that he never goes, and the other
between the 42" picket fence and his deck, but it's easily wide enough
to avoid the tree, and he never goes there anyhow since he doesn't
need to get his lawnmower anymore. The garden faucet is back there
too, but I don't think he ever uses it.

What should I tell my neighbor?

I don't think he's lived among fir trees for very long, and may not
know how they work. I think he's from south of Baltimore and I don't
know how long he's lived here.

Not only will trimmed trees be uglier for him but they'll also be
uglier for me.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

mm said:

I hope you can help me.

I have a couple evergreen trees that are close to my property line.

I'm not sure what I have, and I think I need to know to ask advice.

A pic, posted to the web and linked to here, would help. Do they produce
cones or berries of some sort?

They're not pine, or arbor vitae.

Arborvitae is one word, not two. What makes you so positive your trees
aren't Arborviate?

I've tried to find them on google
images, and the web, but I don't have enough tree names to search on.
I think they are called fir trees, and they are something like
Christmas trees, but not exactly.

Fir trees have needle-like leaves.

That is, on most of the tree, I can't see the branches at all. They
are totally hidden by the green surface made up of little "leaves",
(not needles) sort of like snowflakes but rounded and not hexagonal.
That's probably clear as mud.

Pretty much, yup. =)

Inside the trees are brown and sort of ugly. They have branches with
strange adhesions, like pieces of bark slightly separated from the
branch, and iirc the trunk is like that too.

They are about 28 years old and about 25 feet tall. Six or seven feet
wide at the widest part, 5 or 6 feet off the ground, one tree
extending about a foot into my n'bor's air space, and the other about
6 inches.

My new neighbor wants me to trim them. Whaddaya think?

Who cares what your "new neighbor" thinks? They're *your* trees.

[...]

*NEVER* top trees, unless the tops are severely damaged.

FWIW, and I'm not saying this changes my duty, but one tree extends
onto his property at a corner that he never goes, and the other
between the 42" picket fence and his deck, but it's easily wide enough
to avoid the tree, and he never goes there anyhow since he doesn't
need to get his lawnmower anymore. The garden faucet is back there
too, but I don't think he ever uses it.

What should I tell my neighbor?

How about, "FOAD"?

I don't think he's lived among fir trees for very long,

From the description, I don't think they're fir trees.

and may not
know how they work. I think he's from south of Baltimore and I don't
know how long he's lived here.

Your location, rather than where your neighbor used to live, would be more
helpful. And, you said he was your "new" neighbor. So, are you the one
that's actually new to the neighborhood?

Not only will trimmed trees be uglier for him but they'll also be
uglier for me.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Again, a pic would be most helpful. =)
--

Eggs

A: Top-posters.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in newsgroups?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
mm said:

I hope you can help me.

I have a couple evergreen trees that are close to my property line.

What should I tell my neighbor?

How about, "FOAD"?

There ya go. That's bound to encourage a solution you both can live with.
This guy is your neighbor, Eggs isn't.
Post up some photos please.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 15:56:35 -0600, Eggs Zachtly
wrote:

mm said:

I hope you can help me.

I have a couple evergreen trees that are close to my property line.

I'm not sure what I have, and I think I need to know to ask advice.

A pic, posted to the web and linked to here, would help. Do they produce

I'll try to do that. I need to borrow a digital camera.

cones or berries of some sort?

No berries, no cones. On the ground there are a lot of half-inch or
so clusters of little brown needles in a cone shape (but not cones
liek a pine tree has.)

They're not pine, or arbor vitae.

Arborvitae is one word, not two. What makes you so positive your trees
aren't Arborviate?

Because I have one of those and it's definitely not that.

[...]

The law requires one to trim what extends past the property line, or
that property owner has the right to do it.

I'd like to talk him out of doing what he has a legal right to do.

[...]

OK!

FWIW, and I'm not saying this changes my duty, but one tree extends
onto his property at a corner that he never goes, and the other
between the 42" picket fence and his deck, but it's easily wide enough
to avoid the tree, and he never goes there anyhow since he doesn't
need to get his lawnmower anymore. The garden faucet is back there
too, but I don't think he ever uses it.

What should I tell my neighbor?

How about, "FOAD"?

The trouble is, he's got a lot of complaints not related to tree
trimming -- my deck is falling apart and needs to be replaced, and
I been sick and just had surgery and can't do the work myself yet, and
don't intend to pay someone to do a worse job than I will do. In
another month or two I should be able to tear down the old deck. He
also thinks that mice are coming from my property, even though they
aren't. But he's had more success in convincing the Board of the
Homeowners Association that he's right, than I have had convincing
them otherwise. ==

and the nasty president of the Homeowners Association has already
started making things hard for me. The head of the Architecture
Committee, which has responsibility for this, has already washed his
hands and left it up to the Board, which can be very flakey

So if I lay down the law with him on one thing, like he has no right
to trim more than so much on the tree, he'll emphasize his complaints
on the other stuff, and the Board isn't well enough informed to know
what's fair and what's not. And there are no written standards about
how neat is neat enough. It's quite dependant on who likes whom.

I don't think he's lived among fir trees for very long,

From the description, I don't think they're fir trees.

and may not
know how they work. I think he's from south of Baltimore and I don't
know how long he's lived here.

Your location, rather than where your neighbor used to live, would be more
helpful.

I'm in Baltimore.

And, you said he was your "new" neighbor. So, are you the one
that's actually new to the neighborhood?

No, I've been here 25 years, and never had problems with my neighbor
before. He's a very pushy guy, but charming with other people, and
in addition because of the politics of the n'hood, he's got the
advantage here.

Not only will trimmed trees be uglier for him but they'll also be
uglier for me.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Again, a pic would be most helpful. =)

I'll try. Thanks I'll get back to you.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

mm said:

I hope you can help me.

I have a couple evergreen trees that are close to my property line.

I'm not sure what I have, and I think I need to know to ask advice.

A pic, posted to the web and linked to here, would help. Do they produce

I'll try to do that. I need to borrow a digital camera.

Cool. Try to get a pic of the leaves, the bark, and the entire tree, if
possible. =)

cones or berries of some sort?

No berries, no cones. On the ground there are a lot of half-inch or
so clusters of little brown needles in a cone shape (but not cones
liek a pine tree has.)

They're not pine, or arbor vitae.

Arborvitae is one word, not two. What makes you so positive your trees
aren't Arborviate?

Because I have one of those and it's definitely not that.

Ok. From the description you gave of the leaves, it sounded like a good
possibility. There are quite a few different species and cultivars of
[...]

Understood.

[...]

=)

[...]

Bummer. Understood, but bummer. =(

I don't think he's lived among fir trees for very long,

From the description, I don't think they're fir trees.

and may not
know how they work. I think he's from south of Baltimore and I don't
know how long he's lived here.

Your location, rather than where your neighbor used to live, would be more
helpful.

I'm in Baltimore.

Gotchya. I lived there, for a short time. It's a LOT like St. Louis, where
I'm from. =)

And, you said he was your "new" neighbor. So, are you the one
that's actually new to the neighborhood?

No, I've been here 25 years, and never had problems with my neighbor
before. He's a very pushy guy, but charming with other people, and
in addition because of the politics of the n'hood, he's got the
advantage here.

Arrgh. =/

Not only will trimmed trees be uglier for him but they'll also be
uglier for me.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Again, a pic would be most helpful. =)

I'll try. Thanks I'll get back to you.

Good luck. =)
--

Eggs

I'm very responsible, when ever something goes wrong they always say i'm
responsible.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Nov 8, 4:00*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

It almost sounds like a bald cypress... did you say the needles drop
or not? DO NOT cut the top of the tree off. The best way to appease
your neighbor without make the tree look hideous is just to remove the
tree. It does almost sound like an arborvitae or a juniper but neither
one of those get as tall as 25 ft tall along with the fact
arborvitae's have pine cones & juniper's have berries. I recommend
putting up a picture, that will help significantly.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:56 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"mm" wrote in message
I hope you can help me.

I have a couple evergreen trees that are close to my property line.

[snip]
My new neighbor wants me to trim them. Whaddaya think?

[snip]

The optimist in me says that some of the things I've written below may help
create harmony in your community, but the pessimist (and realist) in me says
you've probably just been introduced to a new unpleasant neighbor who is
never going to stop causing problems no matter what you do.

Alternative 1 - Optimistic Answer: The knee-jerk reaction is to consider the
new neighbor as the bad guy in this. But it's also possible that he has
more info and is trying to be helpful, particularly if the tree is an
undesireable species subject to wind damage or disease. But on the face of
things, your new neighbor has moved in and now wants to dictate to you how
to take care of your landscaping?!? It was like that before he bought the
property, so he doesn't have much of a legal case for your landscaping
depriving him of his view or blocking his sunshine.

OTOH, he does have the right to use his own property, up to his property
line, so he would be within his rights to trim the trees back to that line,
provided he did n't do anything that would cause the tree to die (as I
understand the legal ramifications).

There may be some other factors -- if you are in a deed-restricted community
he may be able to go to the architectural review board (or whatever name
your homeowners' association uses) with a complaint that your landscaping is
outside of the community specifications, or if no HOA, he could try to do
the same with city/county zoning -- (he's much less likely to be successful
with city zoning than with the HOA). A really big tree on a small lot looks
out of place and tends to make the house look smaller and insignificant.
Small urban lots look better with less tall trees, unless the entire
community resides under an extensive canopy.If you're in an HOA and have an
approved landscape plan, he has little leverage. Depending upon local regs
or ordinances, there might be a local appearance code which prevents him
from doing things to the tree that would deform it even if it does extend
into his yard. Barring that he can trim the tree on his side. This might
make his view uglier, but be worth it to him -- the tree may be creating
deep shade in an area where he wants to have a good lawn or a vegetable
garden, or he's just hyper about controlling "his" airspace..

1. I think this is a homeowner issue masquerading as an arborist issue, so
the solution may depend only on how you get along with your neighbors, not
how you trim your tree. However, one way to solve the homeowner issue may
be to finesse it using the tree as the focus. Take a small branch to your
local extension service or Master Gardener or a good full-service local
nursery -- not the garden department of big box store -- and ask them to
identify it.

2. Knowing what type of tree it is, ask them for advice on its care --
including how to prune and trim it. Also ask about its longevity and value
in the landscape. It is possible that you have a fast-growing junk tree
that is of little landscape value and vulnerable to high winds, disease or a
short life span, such as a Norfolk Pine or an Italian cypress. In this
case, it may be to your advantage to agree with the neighbor, remove the
tree and replace it with a more appropriate species -- say a blue spruce,
decorative holly, purple-leaf plum, etc. It depends on how long you'll be
there, how much you can afford to spend to improve the property, the actiual
identity of the tree at issue, etc.

Another approach -- My situation is not similar, but I do have bald cypress
and Hong Kong orchid trees, and have raised the crown by removing the lower
limbs up to about 6' - 10' in height. This gives me a view under the trees
to the lake behind, lets me put a garden in under the trees, and I can mow
the lawn with a riding lawnmower without getting into the branches. If this
would work for you, you'd still have a functional landscape and have gotten
rid of the offending branches.

If all else fails, you can put up a board fence on the property line and
keep the tree that 's on your side of the line the way you want it. -- but
it sounds cheaper to first try and get along with your neighbor, until you
decide he's just being unreasonable. It's your tree and your property, so
do some homework and do what's best for you.

Alternative 2 - Pessimistic Answer: You've just been hit with the proverbial
know-it-all, bad next-door neighbor, and no matter what you do he will
always whine and complain about some perceived wrong. The problem will
exist until one of the two of you moves.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"JimR" wrote in message

"mm" wrote in message
I hope you can help me.

I have a couple evergreen trees that are close to my property line.

[snip]
My new neighbor wants me to trim them. Whaddaya think?

[snip]

PS - the only tree that looks good after you lop off the main trunk ( the
'leader"), is one that looks even better if it's completely cut down. Don't
even consider cutting the leader of any tree you want to keep in your
landscape.

Old 14-11-2008, 08:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
Gotchya. I lived there, for a short time. It's a LOT like St. Louis,

where I'm from. =)

Dang them eggs have been around! :P
Old 21-11-2008, 08:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Nov 14, 3:20*pm, Steve wrote:
wrote:
Gotchya. I lived there, for a short time. It's a LOT like St. Louis,

where I'm from. *=)

Dang them eggs have been around! :P

so have your faggot lips! HAHAHAHHAH
Batch Search Summary
SEARCH ID SEARCH CRITERIA IDENTIFIER STATUS
3930206 Chapman,Randall CCH/NBF/SOR [9 results.] VIEW DETAILS

RESULTS FOR 'CHAPMAN,RANDALL '
Search ID 3930206 Back to Top
NAME DPS NUMBER SEX RACE DATE OF BIRTH CCH SOR NBF
CHAPMAN,RANDOLPH WILLARD 05388013 MALE WHITE 03/22/1961 VIEW

CHAPMAN,RANDOLPH WILLARD (SID: 05388013)
SEX RACE ETHNICITY HEIGHT WEIGHT EYES HAIR COLOR DL NUMBER FBI# DLU
MALE WHITE 508 195 BROWN Brown 10/26/1995
NAMES CHAPMAN,RANDOLPH WILLARD (Primary)
CHAPMAN,RANDY

BIRTHDATES 03/22/1961 (Primary)

Arrest Summary (TRN)
DATE OF ARREST SEQUENCE CODE TRACKING NUMBER AGENCY DESCRIPTION
01/16/1995 A 0007369727 TEXAS CITY PD View

Arrest Date: 01/16/1995 Arrest Summary

DATE OF ARREST 01/16/1995
SEQUENCE CODE A
TRACKING NUMBER 0007369727
AGENCY DESCRIPTION TX0840900 ( TEXAS CITY PD )
CHARGE
TRACKING SUFFIX A001
OFFENSE DETAIL
INTERNAL AGENCY PERSON NUMBER 020130
INTERNAL AGENCY CASE NUMBER 95633
ARREST OFFENSE 35990014 ( POSS CS PG 1 1G )
ARREST OFFENSE CITATION 481.115(b)
LEVEL AND DEGREE OF OFFENSE FS ( FELONY - STATE JAIL FELONY )
DATE OF OFFENSE 01/16/1995
ARREST DISPOSITION 205 ( HELD )
ARREST DISPOSITION DATE 01/16/1995
PROSECUTOR ORI REFERRED TO TX084015A ( DISTRICT ATTORNEYS OFFICE
GALVESTON )
PROSECUTION DETAIL
AGENCY DESCRIPTION TX084015A ( DISTRICT ATTORNEYS OFFICE
GALVESTON )
PROSECUTOR ACTION FIELD A ( PROSECUTOR ACCEPTS THE CHARGE )
PROSECUTOR OFFENSE 35990014 ( POSS CS PG 1 1G )
PROSECUTOR OFFENSE CITATION 481.115(b)
LEVEL AND DEGREE PROSECUTED FS ( FELONY - STATE JAIL FELONY )
COURT STATUS
COURT SEQUENCE a
AGENCY DESCRIPTION TX084035J ( 122ND DISTRICT COURT GALVESTON )
COURT OFFENSE 35990014 ( POSS CS PG 1 1G )
CITATION 481.115(b)
LEVEL AND DEGREE OFFENSE FS ( FELONY - STATE JAIL FELONY )
COURT DISPOSITION 312 ( DEFERRED )
COURT DISPOSITION DATE 09/21/1995
DATE OF SENTENCE/STATUS 09/21/1995
CAUSE NUMBER 95CR0800
FINAL PLEADING G ( GUILTY )
COURT PROBATION 4Y
COURT FINE 200
COURT COSTS 157
AGENCY RECEIVING CUSTODY GCCSCD

Old 12-12-2008, 04:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Nov 14, 3:20*pm, Steve wrote:
wrote:
Gotchya. I lived there, for a short time. It's a LOT like St. Louis,

where I'm from. *=)

Dang them eggs have been around! :P

your wife smears alpo on her ass