Old 13-11-2008, 12:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default I had a tree cut down...

I had a tree cut down in the front yard and the stump removed. Now the roots
and ( I think ) the stump down deep is rotting and making it hard to mow the
grass and mushrooms. Like stepping into a hole. I was thinking about tilling
the spots and removing the rotting wood, adding soil and planting grass
seed. Anyone know if this will work or should I just wait till it's all
rotten?

Thanks

Old 13-11-2008, 01:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Nov 13, 7:23*am, "Jimmy" wrote:
I had a tree cut down in the front yard and the stump removed. Now the roots
and ( I think ) the stump down deep is rotting and making it hard to mow the
grass and mushrooms. Like stepping into a hole. I was thinking about tilling
the spots and removing the rotting wood, adding soil and planting grass
seed. Anyone know if this will work or should I just wait till it's all
rotten?

* * * * Thanks

I doubt you'll be able to till it. Depending on how long ago the tree
was cut down, there is likely plenty of it still there in tough enough
condition to stop a tiller. I have some partial stump/root material
left underground from 10+ years ago that I can hit with an aerator.

Usually, you just deal with this by adding some topsoil to any
depression as needed. If you're watering, doing less of that will
lessen mushrooms.
Old 13-11-2008, 04:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jimmy" wrote in message
I had a tree cut down in the front yard and the stump removed. Now the
roots and ( I think ) the stump down deep is rotting and making it hard to
mow the grass and mushrooms. Like stepping into a hole. I was thinking
about tilling the spots and removing the rotting wood, adding soil and
planting grass seed. Anyone know if this will work or should I just wait
till it's all rotten?

Thanks

If oak, watch out for oak wilt. Exposing the roots to open air and fungus
may bring such a condition on.
--
Dave

If it looks like fish, smells like fish, its not
a cantaloupe.

Old 13-11-2008, 07:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 11/13/2008 7:23 AM Jimmy said the following:
I had a tree cut down in the front yard and the stump removed. Now the roots
and ( I think ) the stump down deep is rotting and making it hard to mow the
grass and mushrooms. Like stepping into a hole. I was thinking about tilling
the spots and removing the rotting wood, adding soil and planting grass
seed. Anyone know if this will work or should I just wait till it's all
rotten?

Thanks

My solution is to slice around the depression and remove the clump(s) of
lawn. Fill the depression with soil, tamp it down, replace the lawn
clump(s), an give the area a drink of water.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 13-11-2008, 11:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Dioclese wrote:
"Jimmy" wrote in message
I had a tree cut down in the front yard and the stump removed. Now the
roots and ( I think ) the stump down deep is rotting and making it hard to
mow the grass and mushrooms. Like stepping into a hole. I was thinking
about tilling the spots and removing the rotting wood, adding soil and
planting grass seed. Anyone know if this will work or should I just wait
till it's all rotten?

Thanks

If oak, watch out for oak wilt. Exposing the roots to open air and fungus
may bring such a condition on.

I'm not exactly sure what oak wilt is but if the tree was cut down and
all that's left is an underground stump and roots, then what does oak
wilt matter?

--
Art

Old 15-11-2008, 04:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Art" wrote in message
Dioclese wrote:
"Jimmy" wrote in message
I had a tree cut down in the front yard and the stump removed. Now the
roots and ( I think ) the stump down deep is rotting and making it hard
to mow the grass and mushrooms. Like stepping into a hole. I was
thinking about tilling the spots and removing the rotting wood, adding
soil and planting grass seed. Anyone know if this will work or should I
just wait till it's all rotten?

Thanks

If oak, watch out for oak wilt. Exposing the roots to open air and
fungus may bring such a condition on.

I'm not exactly sure what oak wilt is but if the tree was cut down and all
that's left is an underground stump and roots, then what does oak wilt
matter?

--
Art

Oak wilt is a form of fungus that attacks exposed root wounds on oaks. It
kills the tree. Its also contagious to oaks in their proximity like the
other oak(s) on the property or the neighbor's oak.

If you're relying on the fact the tree is cut down to establish oak wilt is
not a factor, you are incorrect.