Old 23-11-2008, 08:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Community Garden

I am considering suggesting a community garden to the city fathers here in
small town Central Maryland. I would like to know where this has been done
and or any suggestions as to how to go about it. I think the city has some
land that is not dedicated for any use. I think it would be a great
learning experience, especially if a master gardener could get involved and
offer classes and training. With the economy the way it is, more people
are going to have to learn on how to do some basic food growing themselves.
It would also provide something for kids to do during the summer when school
is not in session - besides sitting on their posterior and playing video
games.
Old 23-11-2008, 08:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 11/23/2008 3:03 PM Paul E. Lehmann said the following:
I am considering suggesting a community garden to the city fathers here in
small town Central Maryland. I would like to know where this has been done
and or any suggestions as to how to go about it. I think the city has some
land that is not dedicated for any use. I think it would be a great
learning experience, especially if a master gardener could get involved and
offer classes and training. With the economy the way it is, more people
are going to have to learn on how to do some basic food growing themselves.
It would also provide something for kids to do during the summer when school
is not in session - besides sitting on their posterior and playing video
games.

During WWII it was called a Victory Garden.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 24-11-2008, 12:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Nov 23, 2:03*pm, "Paul E. Lehmann"
wrote:
I am considering suggesting a community garden to the city fathers here in
small town Central Maryland. *I would like to know where this has been done
and or any suggestions as to how to go about it. *I think the city has some
land that is not dedicated for any use. *I think it would be a great
learning experience, especially if a master gardener could get involved and
offer classes and training. *With the economy the way it is, more people
are going to have to learn on how to do some basic food growing themselves.
It would also provide something for kids to do during the summer when school
is not in session - besides sitting on their posterior and playing video
games.

An excellent idea, but if you get it started call it something other
than a "community garden". I'm speaking from experience - too many
people interpret "community garden" as a "help yourself to the
veggies" garden. Our community has one and all produce harvested goes
to the local area food bank. That way the distribution is controlled
in a fair way. The city provided the garden plot, the master
gardeners oversee it, and the kids get to work in it.
Red
Old 24-11-2008, 01:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Red wrote:

On Nov 23, 2:03Â*pm, "Paul E. Lehmann"
wrote:
I am considering suggesting a community garden to the city fathers here
in small town Central Maryland. Â*I would like to know where this has been
done and or any suggestions as to how to go about it. Â*I think the city
has some land that is not dedicated for any use. Â*I think it would be a
great learning experience, especially if a master gardener could get
involved and offer classes and training. Â*With the economy the way it is,
more people are going to have to learn on how to do some basic food
growing themselves. It would also provide something for kids to do during
the summer when school is not in session - besides sitting on their
posterior and playing video games.

An excellent idea, but if you get it started call it something other
than a "community garden". I'm speaking from experience - too many
people interpret "community garden" as a "help yourself to the
veggies" garden. Our community has one and all produce harvested goes
to the local area food bank. That way the distribution is controlled
in a fair way. The city provided the garden plot, the master
gardeners oversee it, and the kids get to work in it.
Red

Good Idea. Thanks for the advice.

Old 26-11-2008, 05:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:
[...]

Also, if it has public access, you may have a problem with vandalism, as
some people think they can help themselves, walk and/or run over other
people's growing plants or smash the growing vegetables. You may need
fencing or some security arrangements.

Old 29-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Registered User

I am involved with our local community garden in Angus Scotland.

It started from a blank canvas last Autumn and is now starting to come togeather.
It is a recylce garden buy nothing dontions of wood plants everything.

First posts went in for a triangle raised bed.

We got 2 sets of raised bed tyres one which got planted with sweet peas and use reycled willow for canes.

Will post a photo later as had not taken batteries with me for camera.
I would also like an area to grow flowers like a market garden.

I mentioned we should have a web page for the garden and yes they thought this was agreat idea.

Tomorrow popping in to give a hand again with bottles.

We are luck as this land is on council property and we are getting to use .

We do have mentioned when all is planted to be fare if you plant you can take or share pruduce and flowers etc.

But this is open space also so we wont know untill we plant.

But it sso rewarding to see what it was and what it is .

And getting remarks as adifference beeing seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXT View Post