GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can I mow this time of year? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/180194-can-i-mow-time-year.html)

BigKev 06-12-2008 03:24 PM

Can I mow this time of year?

I live in the UK and it's not too cold. We have some frosty mornings.

I never managed to get my last mow in this year because of the constant rain late summer and me going on holiday.

My lawn looks really tatty.

Can I mow it this time of year or will I kill it?

Also, If I can mow it, would now be a good time to put some seed down?

Janet Conroy 06-12-2008 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigKev (Post 824514)
I live in the UK and it's not too cold. We have some frosty mornings.

I never managed to get my last mow in this year because of the constant rain late summer and me going on holiday.

My lawn looks really tatty.

Can I mow it this time of year or will I kill it?

Also, If I can mow it, would now be a good time to put some seed down?

It's a bad idea to mow when your lawn is wet. I'd leave it until a dry spell in Spring if I were you. Grass seed at this time of year is a definite no-no; it is far too cold for it to germinate. Early April is your best chance.

Grassman 07-12-2008 03:13 PM

Yes you may mow your lawn at this time of year. Long grass can suffer winter kill more than a short turf.
Avoid standing on frozen grass as this will cause cell damage to the plants resulting ugly brown patches or footprints in your lawn.
It is favourable to mow when the ground is dry otherwise things can get a little muddy.

Ryegrass seed can be oversown from late February onwards
Finer grasses such as bents and fescues should be left a little later as the seed has less vigour a requires a little more temperature to germinate.

You could apply some grass seed now but there is the danger that should there be a prolonged period of cool, wet weather the seed or small seedlings could rot in the ground before they become established.

If you are in the southern counties of the uk and on reasonably free draining soil I think you'd stand a reasonably good chance of a successful take using a dwarf perennial ryegrass, although it wont be very quick to establish.

Grassman

Bob F 10-12-2008 01:55 AM

Can I mow this time of year?

"Janet Conroy" wrote in message

BigKev;824514 Wrote:
I live in the UK and it's not too cold. We have some frosty mornings.

I never managed to get my last mow in this year because of the constant
rain late summer and me going on holiday.

My lawn looks really tatty.

Can I mow it this time of year or will I kill it?

Also, If I can mow it, would now be a good time to put some seed down?

It's a bad idea to mow when your lawn is wet. I'd leave it until a dry
spell in Spring if I were you. Grass seed at this time of year is a
definite no-no; it is far too cold for it to germinate. Early April is
your best chance.

If I couldn't mow when the lawn is wet, I'd almost never be able to mow.

O.P. Go ahead and mow, it should be no problem.

I usually do the end of season mowing shortly before the end of Dec.