Old 16-12-2008, 07:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Lawnmower tires

I have an old (1990) riding mower that still performs very well. The
only problem is with the tubeless tires. They are the original ones and
are cracked and leak real bad and go flat in about 1 week.
Which would be best? A new tire for $ 40.00 or a tube for $20.00 . What
do the rest of y`all do? TIA Herb

Old 17-12-2008, 01:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Herb and Eneva wrote:
I have an old (1990) riding mower that still performs very well. The
only problem is with the tubeless tires. They are the original ones and
are cracked and leak real bad and go flat in about 1 week.
Which would be best? A new tire for $ 40.00 or a tube for $20.00 . What
do the rest of y`all do? TIA Herb

A tire. The current tire is rotted and will come apart, maybe tommorrow
or while you are putting the tube in it.
Old 17-12-2008, 01:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

i been useing tube in new tire with some sealant in it. best thing
since sliced bread..

Old 18-12-2008, 12:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Herb and Eneva wrote:
I have an old (1990) riding mower that still performs very well. The
only problem is with the tubeless tires. They are the original ones and
are cracked and leak real bad and go flat in about 1 week.
Which would be best? A new tire for $ 40.00 or a tube for $20.00 . What
do the rest of y`all do? TIA Herb

Go with the tube. Tires crack all the time and it doesn't really affect
them. Unless of course it's a racing mower...

--
Art
Old 18-12-2008, 04:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:31:22 -0500, (Herb and Eneva)
wrote:

I have an old (1990) riding mower that still performs very well. The
only problem is with the tubeless tires. They are the original ones and
are cracked and leak real bad and go flat in about 1 week.
Which would be best? A new tire for $ 40.00 or a tube for $20.00 . What
do the rest of y`all do? TIA Herb

I got a friend's motorcycle, from 1976 iirc, which he stopped riding
in 1979, and left in his parents' garage until 2006. The tires were
flat, but not that cracked. Small cracks all over the sidewall, but
not deep afaict, and nowhere else. I inflated them, and a year later
they still had the right pressure. (Just about, at least. I sort of
forgot exactly what I put in them.) Two years later they still look
the right shape.

If I get this fixed enough to ride, I'll replace the tires, but it's
still pretty good that it holds air after 29 years, including 10 or 20
resting on the sidewall.

In your case, maybe take the wheels off, inflate them and put them
under water, to see where the air is coming from. If only the border
between the rim and rubber, I guess you can keep using the tires, but
you'll have to take them and clean the rust or something from the
wheel's edge. And maybe you'll see that the tires really need
replacing when you do this. Look inside the tire and see what that
looks like.

I don't suppose your wheels have dents in the rim, but with steel (not
alloy) car rims, a few hits with the hammer in the right place can
often straighten dents. Sometimes that is where tires leak but maybe
a lawnmower can't go fast enough for that to happen.

Old 26-12-2008, 05:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Herb and Eneva wrote:
I have an old (1990) riding mower that still performs very well. The
only problem is with the tubeless tires. They are the original ones and
are cracked and leak real bad and go flat in about 1 week.
Which would be best? A new tire for $ 40.00 or a tube for $20.00 . What
do the rest of y`all do? TIA Herb

A sealant called Green Stuff Slime. It works very well. I use it with my
commercial mowers and I haven't dealt with a flat in 7 years. I bought a
Great Dane Chariot SR, the big 61" one and the previous had put tubes in
the tires. One was flat. The previous owner said they had it for 3 years
and had a flat once every 2 months. He had a lot of rocks and junk on
his property. I had the tubes removed and the tires remounted to the
rims as tubeless. Never even patched the leak with a patch. Put slime in
them and they have maintained their pressure for over 2 years. I used
these mowers every day from March to November in all kinds of conditions
and on all kinds of ground including bush hogging with it. Not one flat.
I highly recommend this green slime. It can be bought at most auto parts
stores and Wal mart, Kmart, Target and other box stores. It comes in a
clear bottle and it is truly green.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Dec 26 2008, 12:10*am, wrote:
Herb and Eneva wrote:
[...]

Slime didn't work for me.

Old 22-01-2009, 01:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Stubby wrote:
Slime didn't work for me.

Andy comments

I have had good luck with green slime...

It has to be applied properly, however, since the leak may be from
around
the "rim" and just squirting the stuff in may not coat all the leaks
fromthe
inside...

Personally, I jack up the tire off the ground, put in the slime, and
then
take a while to spin the tire as much as I can , using the motor for
the
back tires and hand spinning the front. The idea is to "splash
lubricate"
the inside completely..... AND use enough green slime to do the
job....

Just wanted to share my technique.

Andy in Eureka, Texas