Old 14-01-2009, 03:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default ZTR mowers

I've got a flat 1 acre lot and am considering getting a smaller ztr
mower. I just compared the cub cadet and troy bilt 42" mowers and
found that they are made by the same company (MTD) and virtually
identical except for 1hp difference in the Kohler engine. Even most
parts are interchangeable. Well, maybe the cub cadet has a few minor
niceities. So my question is: is the cub cadets 1 extra hp (20 vs 19)
and a few minor features worth the $300 price difference or is it
paying for name recognition only?
Yeah, I know the Kawasaki engine is better but they only come on the
larger size mowers.

Red
Old 15-01-2009, 01:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Red wrote:
I've got a flat 1 acre lot and am considering getting a smaller ztr
mower. I just compared the cub cadet and troy bilt 42" mowers and
found that they are made by the same company (MTD) and virtually
identical except for 1hp difference in the Kohler engine. Even most
parts are interchangeable. Well, maybe the cub cadet has a few minor
niceities. So my question is: is the cub cadets 1 extra hp (20 vs 19)
and a few minor features worth the $300 price difference or is it
paying for name recognition only?
Yeah, I know the Kawasaki engine is better but they only come on the
larger size mowers.

Red

Both are pieces of crap. Don't throw away your money, buy a decent machine.

--
Art
Old 15-01-2009, 01:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jan 14, 7:01*pm, Art wrote:

Both are pieces of crap.

Why? Bear in mind the mower will be used on a single yard only and
not commercially.

Don't throw away your money, buy a decent machine.

That's why I asked the question. Buying more mower than I need for
the job is throwing away money also. Is a Lexus better than a Chevy?
Yeah, but the Chevy will get me to Walmart and back just as many
times.

Red
Old 15-01-2009, 02:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Art" wrote in message
Red wrote:
I've got a flat 1 acre lot and am considering getting a smaller ztr
mower. I just compared the cub cadet and troy bilt 42" mowers and
found that they are made by the same company (MTD) and virtually
identical except for 1hp difference in the Kohler engine. Even most
parts are interchangeable. Well, maybe the cub cadet has a few minor
niceities. So my question is: is the cub cadets 1 extra hp (20 vs 19)
and a few minor features worth the $300 price difference or is it
paying for name recognition only?
Yeah, I know the Kawasaki engine is better but they only come on the
larger size mowers.

Red

Both are pieces of crap. Don't throw away your money, buy a decent
machine.

--
Art

Please give us reasons why. And what would you consider a "decent machine"?

Old 15-01-2009, 02:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"KingFish" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Art" wrote in message
Red wrote:
[...]

So what is a decent machine? You answered only half my question.

Old 15-01-2009, 03:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

scag , dixie chopper, woods,grasshopper are good heavy
built ztrs . the cheep mtd sheet metal ones are really dissapointing .
go ahead and get one, i hope it works out for you..guy that works on
them,lucas

Old 15-01-2009, 05:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jan 15, 9:07*am, wrote:
* * * * * * *scag , dixie chopper, woods,grasshopper are good heavy
built ztrs . the cheep mtd sheet metal ones are really dissapointing .

You are still not answering the questions. What problems do MTD have
that the others you mentioned don't have? Are they being misused as
commercial machines rather than residential? If you work on them
surely you can tell.

Red
Old 16-01-2009, 02:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

mtd has cheeper pump drive system, sheet metal construction . just
cheeper less reliable construction overall.go ahead and buy one dude ,
but dont expect commercial quality life of the unit...lucas

Old 16-01-2009, 10:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 1/14/2009 10:16 AM (ET) Red wrote the following:
I've got a flat 1 acre lot and am considering getting a smaller ztr
mower. I just compared the cub cadet and troy bilt 42" mowers and
found that they are made by the same company (MTD) and virtually
identical except for 1hp difference in the Kohler engine. Even most
parts are interchangeable. Well, maybe the cub cadet has a few minor
niceities. So my question is: is the cub cadets 1 extra hp (20 vs 19)
and a few minor features worth the $300 price difference or is it
paying for name recognition only?
Yeah, I know the Kawasaki engine is better but they only come on the
larger size mowers.

Red

Between those two choices, and the fact that your acre is flat, I would
say 1 HP isn't much of a difference. I have a hilly acre and my 18 hp
tractor does fine.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Old 16-01-2009, 10:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 1/14/2009 8:01 PM (ET) Art wrote the following:
Red wrote:
I've got a flat 1 acre lot and am considering getting a smaller ztr
mower. I just compared the cub cadet and troy bilt 42" mowers and
found that they are made by the same company (MTD) and virtually
identical except for 1hp difference in the Kohler engine. Even most
parts are interchangeable. Well, maybe the cub cadet has a few minor
niceities. So my question is: is the cub cadets 1 extra hp (20 vs 19)
and a few minor features worth the $300 price difference or is it
paying for name recognition only?
Yeah, I know the Kawasaki engine is better but they only come on the
larger size mowers.

Red

Both are pieces of crap. Don't throw away your money, buy a decent
machine.

Are they worse than Murray was? I have had two Murray tractors in the 24
years I have lived here. I'm still using the second one that is 10 or so
years old and it is used year round mowing and snow blowing.

Old 17-01-2009, 01:40 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jan 16, 4:00*pm, willshak wrote:

Between those two choices, and the fact that your acre is flat, I would
say 1 HP isn't much of a difference. I have a hilly acre and my 18 hp
tractor does fine.

--

Thanks for the reply. That was my original thought also. I've been
using a 10hp Craftsman mower on the lot for about 14 years with no

I'm sure many people going into the lawn care business for the first
time may buy one because it's cheap, then wear it out fast and call it
crap. That's the point I was trying to make with other posters.

Red
Old 17-01-2009, 01:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

KC wrote:
On Jan 14, 7:01 pm, Art wrote:

Both are pieces of crap.

Why? Bear in mind the mower will be used on a single yard only and
not commercially.

MTD builds crap. I don't know why, you'd have to ask them. Parts are
thin stamped steel, bearings are poor quality, shafts are of minimal
diameter, blades are thin and not heat treated, tires from China. Every
part they use is absolutely the cheapest thing they can source.

There is also something to be said for the availability of things like a
mulcher, bagger or other towables or push attachments. MTD hasn't got
much and what they do have is usually ill-fitting and flimsy. Often
replacement parts for attachments are not available at all.

I suggest you take a look at a couple of homeowner models of Hustler,
Dixie Chopper, Snapper or whatever is available down at your local power
equipment store. There you can see the difference. Compare the weights
of the machine and the quality of the parts. Kick the tires even.

I realize you don't need a commercial machine but I'd think you'd want
the best bang for your buck and that is rarely found with the cheapest
product available. You may wind up with an MTD in the end but at least
you should know what else is out there.

--
Art
Old 17-01-2009, 04:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jan 16, 7:59*pm, Art wrote:
KC wrote:
On Jan 14, 7:01 pm, Art wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Now that is a very informative reply. I will now be checking
out other models.

Red
Old 17-01-2009, 11:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Red wrote:
I've got a flat 1 acre lot and am considering getting a smaller ztr
mower. I just compared the cub cadet and troy bilt 42" mowers and
found that they are made by the same company (MTD) and virtually
identical except for 1hp difference in the Kohler engine. Even most
parts are interchangeable. Well, maybe the cub cadet has a few minor
niceities. So my question is: is the cub cadets 1 extra hp (20 vs 19)
and a few minor features worth the $300 price difference or is it
paying for name recognition only?
Yeah, I know the Kawasaki engine is better but they only come on the
larger size mowers.

Red

So far the best constructed and dependable ztr is commercial John Deere.
It is a real Deere and not a rebadged MTD. They are pricey at around 7
grand. You get a good ride and with Gator blades you don't have to rake
up the grass.
Your Grand kids may wear it out but you probably won't live that long.
Mowing the lawn is not just a chore when you have the right equipment.

Questions about ZTR mowers Bill[_9_] Lawns 1 14-05-2007 09:52 PM
ZTR Mowers ? Iowa883 Lawns 7 27-06-2005 11:58 AM
Zero turning radius mowers best? Dixie Chopper ZTR? [email protected] Lawns 2 16-06-2004 05:06 AM
WTB - Dixon ZTR Nylon Cover wamaruna Lawns 0 02-03-2004 01:49 AM
dixon ztr will not go right.. bill Lawns 1 24-06-2003 12:56 AM