GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   really boggy lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/180942-really-boggy-lawn.html)

Seanl 26-01-2009 11:48 AM

really boggy lawn

I have a lawn that is really, really boggy. Its on a clay soil with very little depth. I think the lawn area was excavated as part of the house plot meaning a lot of topsoil was removed. Consequently if you dig a spades depth you get to rock. I think there are various springs in the garden contributing to the problem and we do have an unlined pond so its a pretty wet site generally. However I really want to make the lawn better but don't know what to do. I am not sure if I could put in french drains because of teh lack of soil depth. I am thinking ultimately I will have to bring in lots of top soil and sand but am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. By the way, I am a real garden novice. Used to live in a small terrace in London with only a patio garden.. pots etc, and this is a rather larger garden in Cornwall.

Thanks,

Sean