GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Praying Mantis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/181788-praying-mantis.html)

bushite 15-03-2009 09:20 PM

Praying Mantis

Anyone here ever raise parying mantis'? I'm thinking of getting some egg
pods and raising them for natural insect control.

Thanks

I'd rather be waterboarding!

Chas Hurst 15-03-2009 10:06 PM

Praying Mantis

"bushite" wrote in message
Anyone here ever raise parying mantis'? I'm thinking of getting some egg
pods and raising them for natural insect control.

Thanks

Raise them? You mean give them names and take them for walks in the park?
The little buggers are hatched out hungry and will eat each other if nothing
else is handy.

Eggs Zachtly 15-03-2009 10:19 PM

Praying Mantis

bushite said:

Anyone here ever raise parying mantis'? I'm thinking of getting some egg
pods and raising them for natural insect control.

What insects are you trying to control, and where are you trying to control
them?

[...]

--

Eggs

A flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries.

bushite 16-03-2009 12:05 AM

Praying Mantis

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
bushite said:

Anyone here ever raise parying mantis'? I'm thinking of getting some egg
pods and raising them for natural insect control.

What insects are you trying to control, and where are you trying to
control
them?

[...]

--

Eggs

A flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries.

Just general garden insects. I had a couple of them back 10 years ago and I
used to hand-feed them. Really cool.

bushite 16-03-2009 12:10 AM

Praying Mantis

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
m...

"bushite" wrote in message
Anyone here ever raise parying mantis'? I'm thinking of getting some egg
pods and raising them for natural insect control.

Thanks

Raise them? You mean give them names and take them for walks in the park?
The little buggers are hatched out hungry and will eat each other if
nothing else is handy.

I may name them. Why? You got a problem with that?

Chas Hurst 16-03-2009 12:59 AM

Praying Mantis

"bushite" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
m...

"bushite" wrote in message
Anyone here ever raise parying mantis'? I'm thinking of getting some
egg pods and raising them for natural insect control.

Thanks

Raise them? You mean give them names and take them for walks in the park?
The little buggers are hatched out hungry and will eat each other if
nothing else is handy.

I may name them. Why? You got a problem with that?

Whoa, I got no problems with a tough guy raising praying mantises. Let us
know what you name them.

Eggs Zachtly 16-03-2009 01:21 AM

Praying Mantis

bushite said:

Anyone here ever raise parying mantis'? I'm thinking of getting some egg
pods and raising them for natural insect control.

What insects are you trying to control, and where are you trying to
control
them?

[...]

Just general garden insects. I had a couple of them back 10 years ago and I
used to hand-feed them. Really cool.

So, you're going to train them to stay in your gardens? How many do you
think you'll need, to show effective results as "natural insect control"?

On the "cool" scale, mantids are right off the chart, but for insect
control they're not all that great. Their effect is short-lived, and they
target indescriminently (including beneficial insects and even resorting to
cannibalism).

my $.02
--

Eggs

W.I.N.D.O.W.S - Will Install Necessary Drivers, Or Won't Start.

bushite 16-03-2009 01:37 AM

Praying Mantis

bushite said:

[...]

Well thanks eggs. Maybe I should do a little more research. They are cool
creatures though.

dgk 16-03-2009 12:16 PM

Praying Mantis

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:38:27 -0400, "bushite"
wrote:

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
om...

"bushite" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
m...

"bushite" wrote in message
Anyone here ever raise parying mantis'? I'm thinking of getting some
egg pods and raising them for natural insect control.

Thanks

Raise them? You mean give them names and take them for walks in the
park?
The little buggers are hatched out hungry and will eat each other if
nothing else is handy.

I may name them. Why? You got a problem with that?

Whoa, I got no problems with a tough guy raising praying mantises. Let us
know what you name them.

Roger that!

What kind of name is Roger for a Praying Mantis?

KingFish 16-03-2009 01:29 PM

Praying Mantis

"bushite" wrote in message
Anyone here ever raise parying mantis'? I'm thinking of getting some egg
pods and raising them for natural insect control.

get some chickens

jimmy[_2_] 16-03-2009 04:29 PM

Praying Mantis

Years ago when my one son was a teenager he became very interested in
insects. One year he found a mantis and made a terrarium for it..The mantix
flourished better there than outdoors, they are amazing creatures. Nothing
place in the tank with them had any chance of surviving, their strike is as
fast or faster than that of a snake trying to get its prey. They just take
it out of the air and start eating whatever they have alive...crunch
crunch...I am sure they do damage to bees, however they can eat all the
flies they want as far as I'm concerned..kept it for a while, fattened it up
and let it go..quite an experience..

Eggs Zachtly 16-03-2009 10:20 PM

Praying Mantis

dgk said:

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:38:27 -0400, "bushite"
wrote:

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. com...

"bushite" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
m...

"bushite" wrote in message
Anyone here ever raise parying mantis'? I'm thinking of getting some
egg pods and raising them for natural insect control.

Thanks

Raise them? You mean give them names and take them for walks in the
park?
The little buggers are hatched out hungry and will eat each other if
nothing else is handy.

I may name them. Why? You got a problem with that?

Whoa, I got no problems with a tough guy raising praying mantises. Let us
know what you name them.

Roger that!

What kind of name is Roger for a Praying Mantis?

There are some that call him..... Tim?
--

Eggs

-Buy one for the price of two and get the second one free!

Art 16-03-2009 11:56 PM

Praying Mantis

KingFish wrote:
"bushite" wrote in message
Anyone here ever raise parying mantis'? I'm thinking of getting some egg
pods and raising them for natural insect control.

get some chickens

Do mantis eat chicken too?

--
Art

Eggs Zachtly 17-03-2009 01:03 AM

Praying Mantis

Art said:

KingFish wrote:
"bushite" wrote in message
Anyone here ever raise parying mantis'? I'm thinking of getting some egg
pods and raising them for natural insect control.

get some chickens

Do mantis eat chicken too?

I've seen video of one catching a hummingbird (a mantis, not a chicken).
Wickedly cool. The hummingbird died, apparently from a massive stroke.
Big-ass mantis, too! Looked to be 8-10". Wish I could remember which
channel that was on...

Damn. HD rox, lol =)
--

Eggs

To a worm, digging in the hard ground is more relaxing than going fishing.