GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Webb Starting woes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/182180-webb-starting-woes.html)

Bevilready 31-03-2009 10:03 PM

Webb Starting woes

Hi,
I have just inherited an old Webb cylinder mower with a Briggs and Stratton 2.0hp engine on it. I have taken the spark plug out and cleaned it and re-gapped it but there isn't a spark from the plug when I try to earth it to the cylinder head. However if I place a screwdriver up the HT lead and turn the engine over it gives a good shock. The engine won't start, I've even poured a splash of fuel into the cylinder but no joy. Can anyone help? does it need a new plug or something?

James 01-04-2009 04:57 AM

Webb Starting woes

From your description, it sounds like you need a new plug !! They can last
for years, or they can go bad in one season.

the easy test is to install a brand new plug and go from there..

good luck

James

Bevilready 01-04-2009 09:40 AM

Thanks for that I'll go out and buy a new plug. Incidentally does the engine have points as I could buy a set at the same time?