Old 11-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Registered User

Angry Mower not cutting grass short enough

Hi Can someone please help me as I Have just purchased a new mower with a 53cm rotary blade and a 6hp Brigs and stratton motor all works fine, but when I cut my lawn with mower on it;s lowest cutting level it was not as short as I would like, leaving the daisies etc the mower seems quite low to the ground, so it seems the blade is to high. Can I fit a spacer (and if so where can I get one) to lower the blade or will this effect the performance of my mower. The Blade is attached by a central bolt with 2 lugs either side that fit in holes in the blade. Never had this problem with my Old faithful Rovermower.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Mower not cutting grass short enough

--
tonygwyn

I've yet to see a mower where the lowest cut setting wasn't low enough
for lawn turf. For obvious reasosn, you aren't going to find a
spacer either. Nor would I recommend making one yourself as the
consequences of fooling around with the blade shaft connection are
high.

How low are you trying to actually cut it? Have you measured? If
you've been cutting it low regularly, that is one reason why you will
have the very weeds you are apparently tryng to cut off. With turf
cut to 3" or so, it develops a healthy, dense cover that blocks out
most weeds on it's own. Cut short, the grass is far more open to
stress, invasion by weeds, etc.
Old 27-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygwyn View Post
Hi Can someone please help me as I Have just purchased a new mower with a 53cm rotary blade and a 6hp Brigs and stratton motor all works fine, but when I cut my lawn with mower on it;s lowest cutting level it was not as short as I would like, leaving the daisies etc the mower seems quite low to the ground, so it seems the blade is to high. Can I fit a spacer (and if so where can I get one) to lower the blade or will this effect the performance of my mower. The Blade is attached by a central bolt with 2 lugs either side that fit in holes in the blade. Never had this problem with my Old faithful Rovermower.
Is the blade worn and does it look bent . We recommend that you replace the blade once a year or have it sharpened . Maintaining your mower is always the best option . It should take up the daisies, also is the blade fitted correctly ?

ie. does it have a bend in it at the middle ?
Carp fishing
Repairs UK