Old 27-04-2009, 03:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default free lawnmower not running quite right

Hello,

I was recently given a lawnmower with a Briggs/Stratton 6.5HP motor. I
was told it might need tuned because it hadn't been run for about 5
years. When I first put gas in it I noticed it started to leak the fuel
behind the primer button. That was on Friday night. Saturday when I
tried it again by putting more fuel in it the leaks didn't reappear but
after priming the engine started but would immediately stop. As long as
I had someone continuously press the primer button the engine continued
to run just fine.

So the spark plug was working, fuel line was clear, etc. Today I took
apart the carb except for the float bowl that housed fuel near where the
primer button is located. I attempted to take that component apart as
well but couldn't get the nut on the bottom loosened. So I just cleaned
the carb as best as I could but I didn't see anything clogged and my
cleaning was mainly done for aesthetics. Short of taking the mower to a
pro for maintenance can anyone tell me something that could put me on
the right track to fixing it myself? Everything I read online made it
sound like it was a carb issue but I didn't find any problems unless
they were in the float bowl that I didn't take apart.

The advice I found said there would be a pin/screw with a pinhole in it
from where the fuel would be ejected and that it was probably clogged
thus preventing normal flow of fuel. But I never found anything like
that in my carb. The place where it looked like fuel was inserted was
more like a tube sticking straight up and I couldn't get to it since it
was above the area I didn't take apart. Since that small tube was inside
the primer button component I couldn't look in it to see if it was clogged.

For anyone who happens to have (or wants to download) the parts list for
my B&S engine, the model is 121602-0190-E1. It is an Intek, not the
Quantum type. Oddly enough, looking at the owner's manual both types are
supposed to have a Safety Key but mine doesn't have that. I was working
off page 4 of the parts list PDF file to determine the names of the
parts I was working with today. Part #975 is the float bowl and part
#134 I think is the small "tube" that fuel comes out of when
operational. What are the odds that is clogged and that priming the
engine constantly would help work around that particular problem?

This mower has a bag also. The bags aren't required to be on for the
mower to work are they? As you can tell my knowledge of mowers is slim
to none. I'm a recent first time home buyer so I'm learning.

Any ideas?

thanks
Brandon
Old 27-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon McCombs View Post

#134 I think is the small "tube" that fuel comes out of when
operational. What are the odds that is clogged and that priming the
engine constantly would help work around that particular problem?

This mower has a bag also. The bags aren't required to be on for the
mower to work are they? As you can tell my knowledge of mowers is slim
to none. I'm a recent first time home buyer so I'm learning.

Any ideas?

thanks
Brandon
Hello Brandon please give us a call and we will give you a free consoltation as we are a garden machinery repair business. My site address is in my signature or go to http://gmrm.co.uk or call me on 01865 883413.
__________________
Carp fishing
Repairs UK

#134 I think is the small "tube" that fuel comes out of when
operational. What are the odds that is clogged and that priming the
engine constantly would help work around that particular problem?

This mower has a bag also. The bags aren't required to be on for the
mower to work are they? As you can tell my knowledge of mowers is slim
to none. I'm a recent first time home buyer so I'm learning.

Any ideas?

thanks
Brandon

Get carburetor rebuild kit at a dealer. Replace any "flexible" parts
such as the diaphragm. Any part you think looks bad can be replaced,
also. But avoid replacing things just because you got a new one
unless you want to make more trouble.

#134 I think is the small "tube" that fuel comes out of when
operational. What are the odds that is clogged and that priming the
engine constantly would help work around that particular problem?

This mower has a bag also. The bags aren't required to be on for the
mower to work are they? As you can tell my knowledge of mowers is slim
to none. I'm a recent first time home buyer so I'm learning.

Any ideas?

thanks
Brandon

You need to get the float bowl off and clean it out along with the main
jet. If the nut will not come off then you'll need to replace the carb.

--
Art
Old 28-04-2009, 06:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Art wrote:
Brandon McCombs wrote:
[...]

bowl and part #134 I think is the small "tube" that fuel comes out of
when operational. What are the odds that is clogged and that priming
the engine constantly would help work around that particular problem?

This mower has a bag also. The bags aren't required to be on for the
mower to work are they? As you can tell my knowledge of mowers is slim
to none. I'm a recent first time home buyer so I'm learning.

Any ideas?

thanks
Brandon

You need to get the float bowl off and clean it out along with the main
jet. If the nut will not come off then you'll need to replace the carb.

OK. I'll target the float bowl next time I work on it. Figures that the
part that I didn't look at in-depth is the thing that is most likely the
problem. If this doesn't work I may just buy a carb kit but if cleaning
the float bowl and the main jet don't do it then maybe there are bigger
problems which a new carb won't fix. If I'm lucky I won't work too late
on Tuesday and I can try it again and report back in a timely manner.
I'm in the US Damian so I prefer to not call international if I can help it.

thanks guys for the quick responses.

Old 28-04-2009, 01:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 28, 12:08*am, Brandon McCombs wrote:
Art wrote:
Brandon McCombs wrote:
[...]

thanks guys for the quick responses.- Hide quoted text -

After installing the replacment float, be certain to set the drop just
right. As I recall the rebuild kit has a little cardboard gauge that
will help you adjust the tab that activates the needle valve.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Was free lawnmower not running quite right

Art wrote:
Brandon McCombs wrote:
[...]

I took apart the float bowl of my lawnmower. The needle-size hole in the
bolt keeping the float bowl together was crusted up so I ran a paper
clip through it to clean it. It is wide open now. I also ran the paper
clip up into the main jet but it was clean. I put everything back
together but the mower still stalls unless continuously primed. Could
the float be screwed up and need replacing? What else could be causing
the mower to stall? Should I get a new spark plug?

thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Registered User

Art wrote:
Brandon McCombs wrote:
[...]

Hello Brandon
I read your post and I was thinking about what you said about the primer bulb . And how it ran as long as you kept priming it. Sounds like to me you have a primer bulb thats not holding a vacum. And maybe a fuel fitler thats dirty and not letting fuel flow freely. Worth a try. Good luck
Old 17-05-2009, 05:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Brandon McCombs" wrote in message
.com...
Art wrote:
Brandon McCombs wrote:
[...]

Can you see the choke by removing the air cleaner? Sometimes the sheath on
the throttle cable can slip and the choke will stay closed and it will run
for a few seconds or so and then die when the engine starts to warm up.
I've read that a sheared flywheel key can cause the engine to die suddenly
but it's never happend to me but should be easy enough to check for.

Old 17-05-2009, 06:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Art wrote:
Brandon McCombs wrote:
[...]

I forgot to say: will it continue run if you hold the thottle open on the
carburator? That might mean a weak governor spring.

I like free lawnmowers. I have three of them. So far none have had any
serious problems that couldn't be fixed for next to nothing.

Old 19-05-2009, 12:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Art wrote:
Brandon McCombs wrote:
[...]

Governor spring don't get "weak". Unless someone like you is pulling on
them and bending them ways they aren't supposed to go.

--
Art